Advice for Gelish peeling from the eponychium

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyL

Reaction score
I have lots of clients for Gelish and have never had a problem. I have now got a client that I have applied Gelish to twice, and both times it has apparently started to 'lift from the eponychium'. I done her daughters at the same time and she hasn't had any problems... This lady is an older client that is very house proud but does all her cleaning with gloves on, she moisturises her hands a lot and is always pushing her cuticles back, but can't see this being an issue as she uses a moisturiser she bought from me from the Monu range, she uses bath cream and oil in her bath... I have told her to steer clear of lanolin. I don't know if there is anyone that can throw any light on this for me?

Are you sure that you are removing all of the non-living tissue on the nail plate? This is typically the first reason why anything would lift. Or if you've gotten the product on her eponychium. Next time I would try to do a really thorough wet cuticle removal (if you haven't already) and see if that makes a difference.

If the gelish has been applied a bit thickly there and a small ridge or pool has occured there, that can cause lifting too,

Hi, thanks for your reply. All non living tissue is defo removed, this has happened twice on all fingers and as a precaution I used cuticle remover both times over the full nail. I also made sure no product had touched the eponychium when applying any gel products as I worry about reactions and over exposure!!xx

Ahhh, what is she using to push cuticles back ?? A metal pushie? Could she be applying pressure to the edge which is making it lift, sort of like a hoover pulling a carpet up with its suction?? A bit difficult to explain, but sort of making it wrinkle up?
She could also be spending a long time in the bath with hands under the water, which would make the exposed bit of the nail plate swell and lift the Gelish?

Is she a picker? Does she push her 'cuticle' back with her nails and then maybe 'catch' the Gelish on the way back iykwim? Xxx

Can i just ask, how come your client is pushing back her cuticle ?

I'd have thought that is the technicians job to do during reapplication, i tell my clients not to pick, push or file their nails between treatments so that the seal with the TIO is not broken. But if they have a problem, to call me straight away. & the ONLY thing to put on their nails is cuticle oil, if they get any creams on, to wipe it off & reapply the oil straight away.

Maybe if your client is being too rough with her pushing back, then using creams & baths, there's the reason straight away for the lifting cause she's broken the seal you created with the TIO.

Can i just ask, how come your client is pushing back her cuticle ?

Hi, thanks for your reply. She pushes her cuticles back with her own nails out of habit... She is an older lady that was told by her mum to always make sure her cuticles are always pushed back! She also does it in the bath which in turn means that what u have said makes complete sense!! I am seeing her again Wednesday and advise her if she continues to have this service that she must leave her cuticles/ eponychium well alone!! Thanks again for your response - it makes complete sense xxx

Is she a picker? Does she push her 'cuticle' back with her nails and then maybe 'catch' the Gelish on the way back iykwim? Xxx

Hi, I think this is exactly what she is doing. And because she is doing it in the bath, in turn its breaking the TIO seal which is causing lifting!!xx reading your replies makes a massive penny drop noise in my head!!xx

Hi, I think this is exactly what she is doing. And because she is doing it in the bath, in turn its breaking the TIO seal which is causing lifting!!xx reading your replies makes a massive penny drop noise in my head!!xx

The reason I suggested it is because I've been known to do this myself in the past:smack: !!! Lol xxx

Latest posts

Back