Advice for newbie!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chloe Bryan

Belle
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm new to this. I'm on mat leave now and don't want to go back to my job. I've always wanted to work in nails and beauty & worl for myself, so decided now is the time. If completed a mani/pedi and gel course & looking into acrylic next.
What would you advise for starting out? Mobile or rent a chair. If I rent a chair will they expect me to have years of experience? Also would you advise sticking with nails for now and then training in tan, lashes ect at a later date or doing it all now? Sorry for the long thread. Cheers
Chloe.
Xxxx

I'm in the same situation.. I've always loved Nails and beauty but never been able to do the course due to bad timing or work.. I'm now a full time mum to 2 children under 3 with a hubby who works away and I said to myself 2018 is my year to do something for me.. So I'm going to see a training provider to see what my best option is.. I'm thinking of starting with nails and tanning as I already have my tanning certificate just haven't done anything with it.. I'm limited to when I can study so this place will work with my schedule.. But to keep my costs low I'm going to start from home and set up an area in my garage.. Once I build up a good client base and the kids are at school I might look at renting a room in a hairdresser or perhaps open up my own shop...
Good luck with your venture x

Three suggestions if you are serious about building a successful career/business for yourself rather than just doing it as a hobby.

1. Invest in the best training that you can afford rather than going for the cheapest. It will pay for itself in the long run.

2. Also, if you're not going to do a recognised NVQ type beauty course via college, start with one area (e.g. nails) and practise until you perfect your technique before learning something entirely new.

3. Consider doing some basic business courses at the same time. Just being good at your craft isn't enough to build a successful profitable business.

Some statistics to ponder...

• 42% of small businesses fail because there’s no market need for their services or products.
  • 29% failed because they ran out of cash.
  • 23% failed because they didn’t have the right team running the business.
  • 19% were outcompeted.
  • 18% failed because of pricing and cost issues.
  • 17% failed because of a poor product offering.
  • 17% failed because they lacked a business model.
  • 14% failed because of poor marketing.
  • 14% failed because they ignored their customers.
  • 13% failed because they lost focus.
  • 9% failed because they lacked passion.
  • 9% failed because of a bad location.

Hi. Thanks for the replies. I'm really passionate about it. I want this to be my business, I always knew I would work for myself and this is what I knew I should have started with. I would love to start in my own home but I don't have any space so it's mobile or rent a chair for now. I want to make sure I pick the best option to give me the best start. Worried rent on a chair would be a lot to start with and that mobile, petrol will eat into profit and that if I get stuck in traffic or timinings. Can I ask the going rate for renting a chair in north west if anyone knows.
Thanks. Xxxx

Three suggestions if you are serious about building a successful career/business for yourself rather than just doing it as a hobby.

1. Invest in the best training that you can afford rather than going for the cheapest. It will pay for itself in the long run.

2. Also, if you're not going to do a recognised NVQ type beauty course via college, start with one area (e.g. nails) and practise until you perfect your technique before learning something entirely new.

3. Consider doing some basic business courses at the same time. Just being good at your craft isn't enough to build a successful profitable business.

Some statistics to ponder...

• 42% of small businesses fail because there’s no market need for their services or products.
  • 29% failed because they ran out of cash.
  • 23% failed because they didn’t have the right team running the business.
  • 19% were outcompeted.
  • 18% failed because of pricing and cost issues.
  • 17% failed because of a poor product offering.
  • 17% failed because they lacked a business model.
  • 14% failed because of poor marketing.
  • 14% failed because they ignored their customers.
  • 13% failed because they lost focus.
  • 9% failed because they lacked passion.
  • 9% failed because of a bad location.
Such a good response!!

Latest posts

Back