Advice from hairdressers please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemma Little

Reaction score
im currently working in a Hair&Beauty Salon mother and daughter run business.

The Daughter has literally qualified in Level 3 hairdressing this month.

She has decided to get an apprentice who will be finishing school this year.

She's going to be a 'Junior apprentice' however I have been asked to be a model to have colour put on my hair by the apprentice under the daughters supervision.

Is there a law that states you can't do colour when doing an junior apprentice job?

Hi not sure we're abouts you are but definitely not my first day ever in a salon and I put on one of the other staffs colour on for her with supervision best way to learn is getting straight into it

Are you employed in the salon or self employed (pay your own tax etc.)?
If employed, you could still refuse permission and argue that you are employed to carry out hairdressing services. Soften the blow by suggesting that you would be more amenable when the junior has completed some of her training.

No laws as such governing how apprentices are trained and I assume that the salon is insured. Normally, an apprentice or hairdressing student would practice on a training head until they are competent with their application before progressing to a real client. Trying to progress too fast is likely to lead to mistakes which could dent their confidence and enthusiasm for the job.
Sounds like your bosses don't have much experience in training (junior) staff?

Are you employed in the salon or self employed (pay your own tax etc.)?
If employed, you could still refuse permission and argue that you are employed to carry out hairdressing services. Soften the blow by suggesting that you would be more amenable when the junior has completed some of her training.

No laws as such governing how apprentices are trained and I assume that the salon is insured. Normally, an apprentice or hairdressing student would practice on a training head until they are competent with their application before progressing to a real client. Trying to progress too fast is likely to lead to mistakes which could dent their confidence and enthusiasm for the job.
Sounds like your bosses don't have much experience in training (junior) staff?
The owner (mother) is 35 years experienced in the profession, her daughter has recently qualified so has had no apprentice. They are insured and I am currently working £40 a week.

The owner (mother) is 35 years experienced in the profession, her daughter has recently qualified so has had no apprentice. They are insured and I am currently working £40 a week.

Do you meant renting a chair for £40 a week?

No that's how Much i am paid

10-4 on Wednesday,10-5 on Thursday, 9-4 on Friday and 9-3 on Saturdays

Why are you working for less than NMW? Your employers are exploiting you and breaking the law. What are you employed to do! Even an apprentice gets paid more than that! You are being paid less than £1.54 an hour, why would anyone work for so little?

Well the thing is nobody has ever given me an opportunity and because I have no job as an excuse too leave I'm trapped.

This industry has always been a law unto itself still even with minimum wage etc . Your employer is so taking advantage of you . I would get facts together of what wage you are entitled to by law and speak to her but I definitely would not stay and work for that wage .

Well the thing is nobody has ever given me an opportunity and because I have no job as an excuse too leave I'm trapped.
You know, you have to make your own opportunities in this life. If your fully qualified, get out there and start working freelance, or look on indeed for salons recruiting near you. There are tons of salons in my area recruiting, it's so hard to get staff, it's taken me 3months to get fully staffed again after my last employee left. The longer you stay the harder it will be to leave, don't allow yourself to be treated like this and regarding your original question, no they cant bully you into having your hair done if you don't want it done!

Contact ACAS and they will advise you how to handle this awful situation.
Tel: 0300 123 1100

Latest posts

Back