Advice from other therapists who've been pregnant on the job?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsM21

Reaction score
Hi
Im a full time beauty therapist in a busy salon. Im currently 28 weeks and starting to struggle a bit. With sore hips/back and ever growing bump my main struggle at the moment is pedicures. I began to cut down how many i did in a day a few weeks ago but now feeling its maybe time to stop. I stopped massage early on as i was getting alot of dizziness but other than that I do everything else. I just want to know how everyone else managed as I feel like my boss isnt being very accomodating/understanding and its stressing me out! Thank you!

Your boss should have carried out a risk assessment in light of your pregnancy and made reasonable adjustments to your workplace and duties.

Thanks for your reply. I havent had any formal risk assessment at all. I was told over text which oils to avoid and paperwork i was given stated that risk assessments would be in place but ive not had any meetings, updates on how im doing nothing.

Have a look at the Acas website acas.org.uk. This will give you all the information you need. It may be that the risk assessments have taken place and you’re just not aware of them. At 28 weeks however, I would have thought there would have been discussion around when you plan to start your leave etc. Any employer would need to put cover in place and can’t do this without talking to you.

Thank you. Yeah leave has been discussed i go on leave in august.

It sounds as if your employer has completed the required paperwork and agreed dates for you.
As every pregnancy and therapist is different, your boss is probably just letting you carry on until you to come to him/her with how you wish to proceed.
Ask to meet to discuss which treatments you feel able to complete and which are becoming a struggle. I'm sure you'll be able to sort out your worries. Also, think about things that would help you such as sitting when you can for the different services when perhaps you don't at the moment.
If pedicures are a problem, then you could suggest that you do more of the facials instead?

Ultimately, you can opt to take maternity leave early if you need to, however, remember that you'll appreciate the extra time off after the birth rather than before.

I feel like my boss isnt being very accomodating/understanding and its stressing me out! Thank you!

Your boss isn’t a mind reader so maybe is assuming that you’re ok until you tell them otherwise? If you’re struggling with any aspects of the job, you really need to to talk honestly with your boss. Ask for a meeting, explain your concerns and agree a plan to monitor your workload.
You do need to be a bit more pro-active and take responsibility for managing your own health and not rely on your boss to figure out when you need to reduce your workload. You have the law on your side so there’s no need to feel anxious when bringing it to their attention.

Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy. :)

Latest posts

Back