Advice needed for new business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gina230478

Reaction score
Hi There

I was hoping if anyone could give me some advice. In summary last year a friend decided to invest in a hair and beauty salon and nails, he asked if I could run it for him. He has taken a major risk in setting this up. We opened four months ago and since then the business has been very up and down. On my part I have taken a major cut in pay in order to do this but for my mate and his investment into this business, its something I accepted. The problem I have is that my boss/friend is not at all happy about the lack of profit we are making and he is every month having to invest his own money to keep things ticking over. In addtion to me a beauty therapist we also employ a part time nail technician and a full time hairdresser we are the resident staff. The only marketing we have done, is placing an ad in the local paper to promote our launch day (ad did not bring in any interest) and also carry out door to door leaflet distrubution which was limited to the roads near to where the salon is based. The lauch day was a sucess and also the days leading up to christmas and new year. I was just hoping if anyone could give me advice as to realistically how long it takes for a new salon (within a competitive market) takes to break even and any idea's that I could use to promote the salon further. Money is very tight and my boss does not want to invest in any further leaflet/flyer production nor hire the services of any door to door distrubutors but instead use internal services such as our own photocopier to do leaflet printing, however i question the level of professionalism this brings. We are in a very good / affluent location.

My boss is now looking at me for reasons as to why we are not meeting our target on a daily basis and this is really taking its toll on me. I know any new business would struggle but it is realist to expect to break even in the earlier months. Or is my boss being too unrealistic. My boss has no experience in the hair and beauty industry.

This is really getting me down so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
G

Hi

I know you said he doesn't want to invest any more money in to the biz, but have you tried Vista sometimes you can get free leaflets and just pay the postage. Also try putting ads in the free papers, I got some biz from that.

I also have a facebook page again, this has brough me interest and it is free.

I would make try put some adds in your local gym's, shops,restaurant's etc. Another good thing is to get intouch with your local call centre's, and ask them to put a speacial offer round for your hair cuts and Beauty.

I am just trying to think what will help.

Did he research what he was doing bfore he plunged in? Does he understand that trurning a profit in the first year is highly unlikely? How can you meet a target that he just thought up, as he has no previous year slaes to compare to? Seems to me that he is in a panic, right now is the slowest time of the year for most of us, and while I understand it can be nerve racking it is part of growing your business. Taking it out on your staff is a big nono. Put that evergy into research, proper marketing, and word of mouth advertizing. And dont shoulder that blame, its part of business.

Hi Thanks for your advice on this. W

Latest posts

Back