Advice Needed Please - UV lamp

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonbeam

Reaction score
Hi
I have a new client that wants to have Gellux applied tomorrow - but I am unsure as she has rhumatoid arthritis - is a UV lamp ok to use on someone that has rhumatoid arthritis?

Many thanks

Hi I teach Gellux. The UV or LED lamp is perfectly safe to use on someone with R.A. however if her fingers are twisted and deformed then you may fine you get some areas that are not fully cured. Also her fingers may be difficult for her to put in the lamp. To try and combat this it might be necessary for you to use couch roll rolled up between the fingers to seperate them or reposition the fingers on a 2nd curing to ensure all areas are fully cured. My Mum has the RA I also find it useful to use one of the lamps that has a swing out section as sometimes used in pedicures. Good luck with it, I love Gellux.

PS. Don't bend the fingers if they don't want to move naturally it hurts your client.

Last edited:
Hi
I have had a research for you & it seems to depend on which drugs are being used for the treatment. Certain drugs can make the patients more sensitive to light. However, uv light has also been used for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.
So, you need to check what drugs the client is taking & research them.

I am a fitness instrutor who deals with GP referrals for exercise so I constantly have to research drugs, hence my interest in this post.

Cath x

Hi thanks for the above - the medication is Methotrexate and Humira injections (bi-weekly) plus steroids... do you know about this medication?

Hi
Methotrexate can cause sensitivity to light, this doesnt mean it will do in every case. Ask her to check with her GP just to cover yourself.

Hi Cath and Anne, thanks so much for this great advise regarding my new client.

I will certainly have her check with the GP first and use the useful tips that you have given me Anne regarding the curing.

Think I will only paint a couple of nails at a time to make sure that they all get the right amount of time under the lamp..

thanks again ladies...

Latest posts

Back