Advice on backscratcher nails please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefly

Reaction score
I discovered the delights of beautiful nails a year ago and started off with gel nails applied at a salon. I found this a painful experience when the gel was being applied and because of the amount they filed my nail down and I ended up with sore nails. I went every 2-3 weeks to have them filled, etc and on the whole didn't get problems with breakage but did have to have several taken off (painful again) and replaced each time.

I had a break during the summer to concentrate of some decorating, building work and gardening without worrying about nails and that was when I became concerned about the amount they'd filed off my nail. My nails were sooooooooo soft and flaky. I persevered for a while then found a lady locally who did nails. She's lovely.

My new lady uses backscratcher acrylic over white tips (not sure I'm very keen on white tips) and she paints, sprays, I dip then she files, sprays, paints again. Sorry I don't know all the correct terminology :confused: . On the whole they look neat and tidy and she's very kind and it's not uncomfortable in the slightest but I can spring at least 4 nails off in the first week. She's now glueing them on firmer but I still "blow" the bottom part of the nail on a regular basis, so it lifts.

My old salon charged an arm and a leg and I was convinced they pulled nails off simply so they could charge to put them on again and my new system is more affordable but I don't want to compromise quality for cost. Is there anything I can suggest my 'new' lady does, politely, so that I get a longer lasting result?

She's backscratcher trained as the certificates are on the wall.

Hope it's OK for me to pop in to ask. I wasn't sure what else to do or where to go for advice. :)

I am sure there's a Geek not far from you would give you a recommendation on what you could do, which system might suit you better etc :hug:

Backscratchers is what is known as a 'dip' system.
It is not the strongest amongst the different systems out there, and it also the one most prone to lifting.

Having said that, I have done 'dip' for over 15years. Very sucessfully. I had many clients go two weeks without any breaks, with long nails too.
She may not be aware of a way to build the apex (stress point to simplify) when using this system. Most techs who use this system are not aware of this method and don't realize that it IS possible to do with this system. Building the 'apex' or stress area gives the enhancement more strength.

Also, if your nails are too long for you, then that will cause them to break.
It's best to start short, at a point where you don't break them within 7 days.. and slowly work up to a longer length. If long is what you are aiming for.

Breaking your nails will cause damage to your natural nails each time they come off, as they'll likely tear away some of your natural nails. That's why it's best to keep them shorter so that you don't break them.

With regards to the gel nails applied at a salon. I'm inclined to think it wasnt done properly if your natural nails were so damaged. The surface of the natural nail does not need to be filed for enhancements to adhere. Buffed/etched perhaps, but never filed. ESPECIALLY to the point of discomfort. This is not normal.

Please don't let that experience put you off of UV Gels or ACrylics for that matter.

No system is damaging to the natural nails. BUT poorly trained technicians are, when they don't do things properly.

My best advice to you is to seek out a tech on this site, who's in your area. I'm sure no matter what system he/she is using, you'll be most pleased with the results and not suffer uncomfortable damage anymore.

hope this helps
best of luck

Thank you for such a comprehensive response that was very helpful. I'll persevere. I guess part of the problem could be that my nails are too long - I did start off shorter but they've got longer each time. After 5 days I've lost one completely, three have lifted and one nail part has gone but the tip remains. Two are sharp around the cuticle! There does seem to be a weakness where the tip joins the nail.

I will see what I can do to track someone local down but I guess I'm not the only one to feel guilty for changing (especially as she's so nice!). :rolleyes:

The salon I went to initially were always going on about having to correct the work of others; it seems ironical that they weren't that good themselves!

Latest posts

Back