Advice on causes of Shellac peeling

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunarstorm

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I'm still very new to Shellac but have done around 10 sets on people to date with no problems, however I have had a client contact me today to inform me that two nails are damaged, one has a tiny chip on the corner of the free egde and the other also has the same tip of chip but is also peeling at the side wall. The fingers affected are the middle and ring finger on her left hand, she is right handed. Now I did this set on Saturday afternoon and this has only happened today.

I know I'm OCD when it come to PEP and do not have problem with my enhancement clients with any lifting at all. I do use cuticle away and then send client to wash thier hands with soap and water, telling them to make sure the get right into the side walls.

I throughly scrubfresh all nails for at least 10 seconds each.

As I said I'm new and although I thought I had completely sealed all edges, there was a small trace of colour on my hands down pad when I removed the sticky layer with d-sperse, so I'm wondering if that could have causes this to happen?

I am 99.9% sure I have not applied the Shellac to thick, I was applying it too thin at one point and having to do three coats to get a full cover with Blackpool. I also know I did not let the Shellac touch the skin.

So I'm thinking that it is ethier where I have missed a bit of the seal with my top coat, some cuticle away was still on the nail plate or I've not got the scrub fresh right down in those area's.

I'm going around to fix the problem nails tomorrow afternoon and I would like, just for my piece of mind, to know what has caused this to happen in 48 hours.

The cleint has had enhancements on for over a year before the birth on her 9 month old, since then she has had natural nails and has had, what appears to have been a Gel applied like polish in July (not Shellac although she thought it was!). She has not had problems with any of these in the past. I went through what she has done over the past 48 hours and nothing jumps out and says "It's ME!"

My gut is saying something must have been on her nail plate still and ethier I missed a bit or something has comtainmated the nail after I scrubfreshed it.

I'm not overly worried or anything and it's not knocked my confidence at all. At the end of the day, I'm new and to think I will never have problems or make mistakes is fullish. I am a firm believer that mistakes get make and as long as you learn from them, thats all that counts.

I intended on re-doing the problem nails but am unsure if I should do the cuticle work again, just incase or even if I should re-do all the nails incase the cuticleaway was not properly removed, as I don't want the other nails going the same way in the days to come.

It would help to get other geeks feedback of the possible causes and how best to rectify the problem.

Sam xx

Latest posts

Back