Advice on converting to CND

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah-Nail Tech

Reaction score
Bit of advice ladies please..

I have been considering converting from Gelish to CND shellac for a little while now but as I have nearly 40 Gelish colours and all my business cards etc have Gelish written on them I have put it off a bit.
My reason for considering? Mainly because of the variety CND offers, the colour range and the matching vinylux and the fact I have found lots of Gelish colours similar and the coverage not being as good and need 3 sometimes even 4 coats! Also have so many new people ask me for shellac rather than Gelish. I think this is just because everyone has heard of shellac more.
I am registered with CND to purchase etc but was just wondering what your advice would be to convert over if I did? Would you sell off your Gelish and gradually replace with CND? Also do you think it is advisable to go on a conversion course?
CND sent me their catalogue and I couldn't stop looking through it! I love all the products they have to offer!!
Also, I am due to go on maternity leave in 9weeks from my office job and my son starts school in Sept so I will have more spare time to push my nail business before my baby arrives (in November) Also once my maternity finishes I plan to leave my office job and work in a Salon so hoping to gain as much experience before then and especially in shellac as most salons in my area offer shellac with only one I know of offering Gelish and one with bio sculpture!
Sorry for the essay, any advice would be greatly received 😊 xxx

It's really hard i can imagine as i was looking at investing into gelish from cnd shellac but the price point is that little bit more with gelish , however i do love the massive choice of colours that gelish offer i.e all the neons ans glitter

But yeh your right a lot more people have heard of shellac rather than gelish

I absolutely love love love shellac i was an avid bio tech and wouldnt budge to another nail system until i started in a salon from being mobile and now i only ever do shellac !!! Hardly ever any gel because CND so smoothing gel which can be worn under shellac for lift prone clients or heavy handed ans great foe clients with ridges which is a great little up sell product too xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's really hard i can imagine as i was looking at investing into gelish from cnd shellac but the price point is that little bit more with gelish , however i do love the massive choice of colours that gelish offer i.e all the neons ans glitter

But yeh your right a lot more people have heard of shellac rather than gelish

I absolutely love love love shellac i was an avid bio tech and wouldnt budge to another nail system until i started in a salon from being mobile and now i only ever do shellac !!! Hardly ever any gel because CND so smoothing gel which can be worn under shellac for lift prone clients or heavy handed ans great foe clients with ridges which is a great little up sell product too xx

The smoothing gel and price differences are another reason for changing! CND seem to offer so much more and all I hear us good of them! So hard!!! Xx

I agree its great the smoothing gel!! and
you dont need to use loads of product , also i use ibx as a treatment too which ia great for an undercoat under gel polishes gives extra strength and protection

Ive fallen in love with shellac xxx

I use both CND shellac and IBD just gel. I haven't tried Gelish.
The most number of coats with Shellac, I have ever had to apply (with some shades) is 3. With JG, some colours need 5 coats. The consistency and coverage of shellac is fab.
And I am a HUGE fan of Smoothing Gel. On my own nails, I used to get 7 - 10 days out of shellac, and I was really chuffed, as nothing stays on my nails. I now get three weeks with smoothing gel, and then it is only taken off because of re growth. I cannot praise this product enough. Long may is continue. If they discontinue it, I will have to stock pile.

Last edited:
Could you possibly run both alongside each other. Not everyone is suited to one system alone, so having both gives you and your clients options. I personally wouldn't give up gelish altogether as I do find there are colour gaps in Shellac that gelish could fill.

I absolutely love Shellac, such an easy system to apply and remove. However, I've just brought in Cuccio Veneer to fill the gaps. I don't think I'd ever give up one system over the other. I now have a range of colours and products that suit different nail types.

Hth x

Sent from my MediaPad 10 LINK using SalonGeek mobile app

Could you possibly run both alongside each other. Not everyone is suited to one system alone, so having both gives you and your clients options. I personally wouldn't give up gelish altogether as I do find there are colour gaps in Shellac that gelish could fill.

I absolutely love Shellac, such an easy system to apply and remove. However, I've just brought in Cuccio Veneer to fill the gaps. I don't think I'd ever give up one system over the other. I now have a range of colours and products that suit different nail types.

Hth x

Yeah that's a good idea. I am going to go through my colours and sell some of the ones that don't get used. That money can then go towards buying some shellac :)

Think I will still go in a cnd course tho so I know how to use properly. Do I have to get a cnd lamp to cure or will I be ok with the one I have? I have just a normal UV 36w lamp not a Gelish one. Xx

I would sample before you just switch. Shellac is a really great product but very different to gelish, there's room for them both because they are so different. Gelish is thicker and harder wearing so if you are getting rid of it totally, be aware that your customers won't be used to the new product and may be rough with their hands and therefore get chips and be unhappy!

Also vinylux has it's downfalls, to be honest I've just taken on another polish line alongside it because of the various issues I had with it. Do your research and try before you buy!! Buy a few products to sample it and make sure you like it and can work with it first- I wish I had!

I would sample before you just switch. Shellac is a really great product but very different to gelish, there's room for them both because they are so different. Gelish is thicker and harder wearing so if you are getting rid of it totally, be aware that your customers won't be used to the new product and may be rough with their hands and therefore get chips and be unhappy!

Also vinylux has it's downfalls, to be honest I've just taken on another polish line alongside it because of the various issues I had with it. Do your research and try before you buy!! Buy a few products to sample it and make sure you like it and can work with it first- I wish I had!

Good plan..! I may buy a few colours and see first. I have a beautician friend who does shellac so may ask her the process first or even go and have a shellac mani and see myself before investing and going on training. I don't have a set client base at the mo as haven't been able to devote my time to building this but as soon as maternity starts in 9weeks I can so not too worried about it affecting clients. I didn't know Gelish was thicker and harder wearing then shellac so that's good to know xx

I agree its great the smoothing gel!! and
you dont need to use loads of product , also i use ibx as a treatment too which ia great for an undercoat under gel polishes gives extra strength and protection

Ive fallen in love with shellac xxx

Does the smoothing gel make removal harder? Did u go on the course for this or just try & practice? X

Good plan..! I may buy a few colours and see first. I have a beautician friend who does shellac so may ask her the process first or even go and have a shellac mani and see myself before investing and going on training. I don't have a set client base at the mo as haven't been able to devote my time to building this but as soon as maternity starts in 9weeks I can so not too worried about it affecting clients. I didn't know Gelish was thicker and harder wearing then shellac so that's good to know xx

Can I ask what problems you've had with vinylux please as I was thinking of offering this as I use shellac. Can clients use vinylux over their shellac if it chips & they're on holiday? And I guess they'd need the top coat too ? Thanks x

Hth x

Great advice. That's exactly why I started stocking IBD Just Gel, along side shellac. But I love CND shellac the best.
I just wish they would expand their range to include more glitters and neons.
A clear (for nail art) would be great too, if anyone with power reads this :)

Can I ask what problems you've had with vinylux please as I was thinking of offering this as I use shellac. Can clients use vinylux over their shellac if it chips & they're on holiday? And I guess they'd need the top coat too ? Thanks x

Yes I think they probably could use vinylux to fill in the chips as a short term measure! You could retail them the polish and the topcoat is amazing!

Honestly? My opinion is that Vinylux is a good polish in that it's fast drying- the topcoat of mainly responsible for that it's and fast drying and, really forgiving! Great product!!

But the downside- it is quite hard to work with, it dries fast so you have to work how to polish it to not get streaks, some of the colours don't have very good coverage very sheer. Also it can literally stain the nail (it has no base coat) and is very hard to get off! Which can be a bit embarrassing. Also I don't think the colour range is very good- not very inspiring lots of colours are samey- lack of decent nudes and no brights at all! My Younger clients find it hard to find a colour they really like.

Yes I think they probably could use vinylux to fill in the chips as a short term measure! You could retail them the polish and the topcoat is amazing!

Honestly? My opinion is that Vinylux is a good polish in that it's fast drying- the topcoat of mainly responsible for that it's and fast drying and, really forgiving! Great product!!

But the downside- it is quite hard to work with, it dries fast so you have to work how to polish it to not get streaks, some of the colours don't have very good coverage very sheer. Also it can literally stain the nail (it has no base coat) and is very hard to get off! Which can be a bit embarrassing. Also I don't think the colour range is very good- not very inspiring lots of colours are samey- lack of decent nudes and no brights at all! My Younger clients find it hard to find a colour they really like.

Thank you for your honesty. There's so much to consider isn't there before outlaying so much money. Thanks x

Can you cure shellac in a normal UV lamp or does this have to be a CND one? Just trying to total up costs of getting some shellac essentials in to start xx

Can you cure shellac in a normal UV lamp or does this have to be a CND one? Just trying to total up costs of getting some shellac essentials in to start xx

Unfortunately you do need the Cnd lamp. is it possible to cure shellac in non Cnd lamp but Cnd then won't guarantee your treatment as you haven't used the whole system. I did try whilst experimenting with a cheap lamp & it cured but when I wanted to tidy up my polish before top coating it took the whole lot off including base coat!

Unfortunately you do need the Cnd lamp. is it possible to cure shellac in non Cnd lamp but Cnd then won't guarantee your treatment as you haven't used the whole system. I did try whilst experimenting with a cheap lamp & it cured but when I wanted to tidy up my polish before top coating it took the whole lot off including base coat!

Thought this would be the answer but thought I would check anyway! Can I cure Gelish in the cnd lamp though? Xx

Thought this would be the answer but thought I would check anyway! Can I cure Gelish in the cnd lamp though? Xx

Yes gelish does cure in the CND lamp of any generic 36 watt lamp (Don't bite my head off geeks! This has been said by harmony themselves!) the times are 1 minute base, 2 minutes for colours and top (although they do say 1 minute for light colours and 2 minutes for darker ones).. I've recently changed from gelish to shellac and I love it so much more, I found with gelish it can be quite thick on the nail, and the colours where hit and miss, some applied beautifully and really opaque and some taking loads of coats otherwise been translucent, I find with shellac the finished product on the nails feels so much thinner and every colour I've used so far if applied properly had been opaque in 2 coats... I also found gelish runny and quite often very annoyingly would run into the lateral folds with the colours but the top it off was worst for it, and I had to flash cure nails very often, but shellac stays where I put it, I really love it! :)

Does the smoothing gel make removal harder? Did u go on the course for this or just try & practice? X

No its as simple as a normal shellac removal but would probably leave my client soaking off in foils for an extra 5 mins as its thicker but comes off like a dream.:)

No as im fully qualified in all nail techniques and competant with shellac i ordered the starter kit from sweet squared abd it comes with a dvd -well worth the price too great great value !!

But the other ladies have a valid point gelish probs fills in some colour gaps that shellac doesnt have so having both wouls be a great asset to you xx :)

Latest posts

Back