Advice on course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yvonne5050

Reaction score
Hi geeks

I'm beauty obsessed and since having my son I've decided to change career completely and venture into nails. Its something I've always wanted to do and it will suit as I can work mobile around my little boy. Anyway I'm booked to do manicure, shellac and minx in Aug at the fingertips centre and I'm debating when to do the l+p and gel. I do want to do them all but just not sure if to book the l+p that's in sept or to wait to get my head round natural nail first as I'm a complete novice. The courses fill up quick so should I book in case its full and I regret not booking? Also my main concern is I book them all and do manicure and realise I'm hopeless. Is this a normal concern and will I gain confidence as I gain knowledge and experience? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Yvonne

I love training and can absolutely say yes you will love learning as much as you can, as fast as you can and then will BUY everything you can! its just the way it goes.
I sometimes feel I had the luxury of taking my time and practicing as Tech's these days want to know eveything...yesterday! Dont put any pressure on yourself, learn natural nail care and move at your own speed. You may be so excited that you book all the courses and who am I to tell you not to? all I would say is make sure you have adequate time to practice, time to reflect on what you have learnt and dont overload yourself.

Dont worry about feeling 'hopeless' we're all the same at the beginning

Have Fun, Good Luck & Welcome

Hi Yvonne, are you going to concentrate on just nails or are you thinking about adding other beauty treatments? I do everything and when I first qualified I added on Calgel, to be honest I did so many other treatments I never became very good at them and have now decided not to do them, unless you are doing loads its very hard to get good. In other words if your doing just nails it would probably be a good idea to do the course in Sept, if your offering more than nails I would wait a bit and see how much of your time is spent on nails. Sorry for the essay!!

Annie xx

Thanks so much for your replies :) I'm going to book the course in Sept. I am a bit excited... Ok a lot! Lol. Its just nails I'm planning on doing and I don't work so I have a fair bit of time- well as much time as any mum has. I've got lots of people to practice on so I'll just keep at it and hopefully I'll be up to standard soon enough. Think I'll add in pedicure while I'm at it! I'm so looking forward to getting started x

Good luck yvonne. Iam a newbie too and took my manicure and pedicure last month. I was the dunce of the class and was rubbish at it. Since then I have thought maybe Im just not cut out for this - horses for courses etc. But I have practiced really really hard and with the help and encouragment here am now improving.

You will probably be fine on the course - most people are - but thought I would let you know my experience in case. No matter what you will get there!

xx

Thanks Sophie. Are you thinking of doing anything else now you've done Mani/pedi? Its sure aint cheap but I'm really keen to start. I'll def but the dunce too but hopefully I'll improve like you :)

Hi again Yvonne. Yes I did a shellac and minx course a few weeks ago with CND, which may have been a little premature as I was still struggling with basic polishing. But the tutor was able to give me some help and that has made a difference. So Im practising shellac a bit now. As for minx havent started practicing that - but maybe soon...

I plan doing gel extensions at some stage - probably not for a good few months though. I want to get the basic stuff, along with shellac and minx right first.

Are you practicing polishing before the course? That may help. I wish I had done so....

xx

Hi again! Yeah I'm polishing up a storm in prep and got a cheapie manicure kit to practice my french. I'm doing my minx on the same day as my manicure so my head may explode :). I don't have a date for shellac but they said it shouldn't be long before I get one. Can't wait to get all my stuff and have a good go at it. The acrylics looks so difficult but my friend did it a few months ago and she's improved so much since them so I guess its all about practice. The shellac colours are amazing I had hot pop pink a few weeks ago and felt so girlyi couldn't stop looking at how shiny it was x

Latest posts

Back