Advice on cuticle

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynamite

Reaction score
Hello geeks

PLease can someone shed some light?!!:rolleyes:
Is it true now that there is a law for cutting cuticles, that you are not suppose to cut them due to skin penetration laws.

I came across this on a price list that my mother picked up in Yorks.

Anyone come across this?????

xxxxxxxx

Never heard of it - although I very rarely cut cuticles back anyhow!

Not something I have heard of either!!:hug:

Cuticle is the non living tissue on the nail plate.
The skin surrounding the nail plate is called the eponychium not the cuticle.The eponychium is living tissue which folds back on itself and protects the matrix from foreign bodies and bacteria. Cutting the eponychium results in it growing back thicker as you will be creating scar tissue aswell as running the risk of infection. Applying Oil a few times a day will keep the skin conditioned.
David

I have heard of laws like this in different areas. It's definately best to avoid cutting cuticles... Cof cof.... I mean... Eponichiums. It grows back thicker as a defence mechanism. I find cuticle remover works perfectly.

uhm i understand as i do that too but when i studied for my Manicures and pedicures i was told that if you can see the cuticle that sticks up is to cut it after applying cuticle remover and scrape it off.

But i am NOW confused that there is a law that YOU ARE NOT suppose to cut cuticles if need be. Whats the point having cuticle knippers??

xxx

Hi,

I think this may relate to local bylaws rather that one with overall UK effect. Always best to check with your local council as to what their restrictions are. Possibly some councils may being in licencing laws that may require the therapist to buy a licence to nip cuticles.... but again, your local council will be best to advise you.

yep im just doing my mani/pedi course at the mo, and we have indeed been told to cut any cuticle that sticks up after using remover cream etc, so its interesting to read that we may not be allowed to do this, i know for a fact my student insurance that ive just taken out , does not cover me for cutting cuticles, so maybe its true, who would i ring to find out my local bylaws? sorry for hijacking your thread hun lol

xxx

I think people have to be really clear on the difference between cuticle and eponychium.

I lot of training courses refer to cuticle when in fact they mean eponychium. I remember having a full on debate with my tutor when I was doing my mani/pedi course about the exact same thing.

Cutting / removing bits of cuticle that are sticking up after applying cuticle remover is fine.

However, it is not fine cutting eponychium ! Eponychium is the living tissue that protects the nail matrix and should not be messed with.

Marlise

Latest posts

Back