Advice on hard wearing - acrylics/gels/nothing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbocajaerdna

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone advise me? I'm starting a new job, which entails loading and unloading a van. I normally pride myself on having nice nails. I have a red carpet manicure gel system that I use at home, which normally gives me

About 2 weeks of wear. But I'm not sure it'll be strong enough to take the van loading and harder work on my nails!

Should I go for acrylics? Never used them before - is it really bad for your nails, a lot of upkeep and very expensive?

Is there another option!? What do you guys think?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Go for an acrylic overlay.
I love bio sculpture over natural nails- I get approx 3-4 weeks from mine x

Hey there

My advice? Pop along to a good local salon for a consultation. They'll be able to advise what's best; liquid and powder is the strongest system but it might not be what your nails need.

I certainly wouldn't have anything too long, not when it's such a demanding new job.

There is maintenance required, generally every 2 or so weeks but they will not damage your nails as long as you follow the aftercare and maintenance advice given and choose a reputable salon who know how to care for the natural nail.

As to the expense, well that depends on what you regard as expensive. What you think is small change may be a life savings to another and vice versa. It also varies depending on where in thr country you are. Again, best to enquire in the local salons for prices.

Good luck with your new job :)

Maybe the mods could move this to consumer queries?

What is it that I need to look out for so that if I get acrylics that I don't damage my nails? What should/shouldn't be happening!?

What is it that I need to look out for so that if I get acrylics that I don't damage my nails? What should/shouldn't be happening!?

Don't let them use an E-file on your natural nail for a start.

Another option is a Hard gel overlay on your natural nails, tough stuff but still gives your nails some flexibility.

But it would be best to talk to a good nail tech and they could advise on which product acrylic or gel would be suitable for you.

Where do you live maybe there might be a nail geek on here thats not too far away from you, perhaps they could sort you out?

I live in Edgware, north west London. Anyone nearby to advise?

The should NOT use an electric file/drill

They should NOT work from unmarked containers

If you ask for acrylic, it should be a pot of liquid and a pot of powder
If you ask for gel, it comes pre mixed, goes on in layers and each layer is cured under a UV light otherwise it is not gel

They should NOT use anything other than a very fine file on your natural nails, 240 grit to us, to you that would feel barely rough at all

They should give you aftercare, advise you to use oil to keep nails looking better for longer, and advise you to wear gloves to do chores/use chemical products

They should sanitise their tools

If they cut your finger with a file they should either dispose of it after your treatment or offer it to you as they should NOT be using it on anyone else - and should not be using files with bloodspots on YOU (ridiculous to have to say but I know somewhere this has happened)

Hope this helps xx if you fancy moving to Hampshire give me a shout lol x

Latest posts

Back