Advice on oval/almond nail shapes!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarieB3

Reaction score
Hi,

I would be very grateful for any advice. My clients have always wanted square and squoval shape nails, which my normal NSI tips have been fine.

I've got a new client who prefers hers to be oval, and I'm really struggling with the shape! I can't seem to get the shape right, as the sides seem too 'flat', and I end up over filing the sides too thin, trying to rectify the shape..

Can anyone advise on what tips they use for natural looking almond shape nails, or a technique I can try?

Many thanks xx

Hi,

I would be very grateful for any advice. My clients have always wanted square and squoval shape nails, which my normal NSI tips have been fine.

I've got a new client who prefers hers to be oval, and I'm really struggling with the shape! I can't seem to get the shape right, as the sides seem too 'flat', and I end up over filing the sides too thin, trying to rectify the shape..

Can anyone advise on what tips they use for natural looking almond shape nails, or a technique I can try?

Many thanks xx

H see if this helps!
Filing an Almond Nail | Facebook

If your using tips, file the tip into the almond shape first then when it comes to finishing you will only have to refine the shape.
David

Hello. The almond shape is about filing technique, not the tips. It's pointless me describing the technique to you because it wont translate clearly in written word, you need to see it done. I believe the Fingernail Fixer has done a youtube tutorial on getting this shape so I would google it, also have you gone through the tutorials on this site?

There are lots of different ways of doing this, so dont confuse yourself by looking for one definitive way. Look at the different methods and practice them yourself. Some people clip the side of the tip from side to centre to create a point, then define the shape with the file. I dont like this method personally and do the whole thing with the file. Just make sure you dont file your c curve away. It's really easy and really tempting to get your file and run it under the tip so that the side walls file away leaving an almond shaped tip, but this will leave a tip that has no strength in it, and will look odd on a cross section because it looks flat (from what you've described I think you've already done this).

Also I notice you're a newbie to the site (welcome by the way :hug: ), have you recently qualified? I would speak to your training provider to see what support they can offer you. I'm with CND and I know that if you're newly qualified and need support they are very good, so speak to whoever your training provider is because they might be able to help :hug:

Thank you all so much. I was privately trained, but I've found myself with more questions than answers, and little after support!

The Fingernail Fixer is a great clip, and I've realised I need professional training, as this should have been covered in my course..

Hi,

Many thanks xx

We have a tutorial section that you really should get to know. here is a chapter from my book 'nailclass' that is posted in the nail tutorial section under 'nail finishing' .. hope it helps.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finishing-maintenance/9201-perfect-form-s-all-matter-degree.html

Latest posts

Back