Quantcast

Advice on training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polished10

Active Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2004
Messages
42
Reaction score
5
Location
South East
Hello,

I wondered if anyone here can give me some advice......

I am going to be starting a Beauty Therapy NVQ2 course in September. Manicures and pedicures are covered by this but it doesn't cover extensions.
I would really like to do a course that specifically covers nail extensions and was wondering if anyone here can tell me of any courses that would cover this.

My local college does do a separate course for nail extensions but I've also heard that Creative are very good. I've looked on their web site and it's something like £500 for four days training whereas the college course runs for a few months. Can you learn everything in four days?

Also does anyone know of any courses for Airbrushing?

Thanks

:)
 

naturalnails

Legend
Joined
Jan 11, 2003
Messages
15,181
Reaction score
585
Location
Daventry, Northants (UK)
Hi and welcome to posting. If you use the search facility and put in training you will get a wealth of information from previous posts. Also search for airbrushing and some training info will also come up.

On the four day foundation course you will certainly learn the foundations to nail enhancements and everything to get you started but you need to view it as the foundation from which to start and not the ONLY training you ever need to do.
 

emmad

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2004
Messages
319
Reaction score
6
Location
Wokingham, Berks
Carlene said:
Hello,

I wondered if anyone here can give me some advice......

I am going to be starting a Beauty Therapy NVQ2 course in September. Manicures and pedicures are covered by this but it doesn't cover extensions.
I would really like to do a course that specifically covers nail extensions and was wondering if anyone here can tell me of any courses that would cover this.

My local college does do a separate course for nail extensions but I've also heard that Creative are very good. I've looked on their web site and it's something like £500 for four days training whereas the college course runs for a few months. Can you learn everything in four days?

Also does anyone know of any courses for Airbrushing?

Thanks

:)
Carlene,
I did a 2 day intensive Star Nails course in Weybridge (£200 odd pounds). I'd already bought some of the products and a nail trainer before I started to give me a head start so the 2 days was just right for me. They offer 4 days at a more gentle pace too. I've gone on to do man/ped with them as well and I plan to do airbrushing later when I can find the money for the kit !! I'll be doing workshops next month to get to intermediate stage and I can take my NVQ level 2 & 3 via a formal asessment once I've done about 6 days training all at the same place. Practice is so crucial, after just a few weeks my work is very acceptable to paying clients and I continue to offer free treatments to those who have helped me so much by modelling.

Creative are good and I've heard great things about their products but I chose not to do their course on the basis that they offered me no training to do with man/ped treatments or airbrushing and their courses didn't seem to have any angles on safety, contraindications, starting your own business or getting an NVQ. I'm not saying they don't do this but they were not forthcoming with any info on this so I ditched them. I can always do a converstion course later if I feel I want to use their products.

Its improtant that you chose a company that offers courses at the right price, pace and content for what you want to acheive. I have to pay £60 per day in childcare everytime I do a course so it was worth me doing an intensive one and investing in a nail trainer so I could practice at home. Don't go with a particular company because you think the market will expect you to. My advice anyway.
 

DEBSY

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2003
Messages
236
Reaction score
2
Location
cottingley,,W.YORKS
hi,,,just wanted to say that i trained with Creative and have not looked back since,,the 4 day course is quite intense,there is alot to take in but you need to know the importance of contra-indications,decontamination,routes to reaction,how to work safely,anatomy of the nail,nail disorders,preperation,MSDS,oh i could go on and on!! any course that does'nt cover these i would not recommend,,,
when you pass your foundation you can do the Next Step class which is designed to help you with promotion,advertising,client queries or complaints,stock keeping,appointment booking etc.
you can also do one-to-one training if you wish.
they do a spa-manicure and spa-pedicure class where you pay for the kit only and get the training free,,did'nt mention that on your foundation cost it includes a proffesional kit and a practice hand in the price!
they do an Airbrush course,i am booked on the next one in September myself!
can't say of any other courses because i have only dealt with creative so just telling you what i know :)
all the best for your future in nails whoever you decide to train with,,DEBS.
 

chocolate

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2003
Messages
775
Reaction score
38
Location
Sidcup, Kent
Creative are great, i trained with them 12 years ago, give Di plummer a call, she will help you out. There are so many companies that offer training courses now, so choose very carefully before you spend out any dosh!

If you are not in any hurry, wait until the nail show in Sept and visit all the companies to see what suits you best.

If you Pm me your address, i can send my UNBIASED guide to choosing a training course.

It covers;

WHAT WILL YOU LEARN, IE MAN, PED, EXT ETC

WHAT SYSTEMS WILL YOU COVER IE L & P, GEL, FIBRE ETC

DOES IT INC COSHH, HEALTH AND SAFETY, VENTILATION ETC

DO YOU NEED MODELS

DO YOU GET A KIT

WHAT QUALIFICATIONS/EXPERIENCE HAS THE TEACHER GOT

HOW MANY STUDENTS ARE ON THE COURSE

DOES IT INC RE-BALENCE/BACK UP/TROUBLE SHOOTING

ARE THEY AN NVQ CENTRE

CAN THEY OFFER YOU INSURANCE

Plus much more!!!!! Good luck!!!!
 

Carole Lindsay

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 3, 2004
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
11
Location
Barnet
chocolate said:
Creative are great, i trained with them 12 years ago, give Di plummer a call, she will help you out. There are so many companies that offer training courses now, so choose very carefully before you spend out any dosh!

If you are not in any hurry, wait until the nail show in Sept and visit all the companies to see what suits you best.

If you Pm me your address, i can send my UNBIASED guide to choosing a training course.

It covers;

WHAT WILL YOU LEARN, IE MAN, PED, EXT ETC

WHAT SYSTEMS WILL YOU COVER IE L & P, GEL, FIBRE ETC

DOES IT INC COSHH, HEALTH AND SAFETY, VENTILATION ETC

DO YOU NEED MODELS

DO YOU GET A KIT

WHAT QUALIFICATIONS/EXPERIENCE HAS THE TEACHER GOT

HOW MANY STUDENTS ARE ON THE COURSE

DOES IT INC RE-BALENCE/BACK UP/TROUBLE SHOOTING

ARE THEY AN NVQ CENTRE

CAN THEY OFFER YOU INSURANCE

Plus much more!!!!! Good luck!!!!
Hey Rachel you're such a lovely person - shouldnt you be advertising your own training courses???
 

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
32,644
Reaction score
1,033
Location
Benissa, Costa Blanca, Spain
The complete Creative couse is over a year long period not just 4 days. The 4 days (which is actually over a 4 week period with much practice in between), is Just your Foundation learning. At the end of a year with much hard work, you could complete the course and be a Creative Master Technician. A good goal!
 

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
32,644
Reaction score
1,033
Location
Benissa, Costa Blanca, Spain
emmad said:
Creative are good and I've heard great things about their products but I chose not to do their course on the basis that they offered me no training to do with man/ped treatments or airbrushing and their courses didn't seem to have any angles on safety, contraindications, starting your own business or getting an NVQ. I'm not saying they don't do this but they were not forthcoming with any info on this so I ditched them. I can always do a converstion course later if I feel I want to use their products.
Surely you jest???

Creative training covers everyhing you have mentioned plus much much more and spends particular time and attention on the health & safety issues as well as all contra-indications, Contra-actions, Anatomy, Physiology, Client Care and thorough Consultation, Beauty & Design, etc etc etc.

Starting your own business (this is The next Step class) includes everything from how to run an appointment book efficiently to stock control to correct telepone manner creating a kick ass service menu etc etc etc.

CND do teach airbrushing and were one of the first companies to do so in the UK. This is not offered at every Creative nail Academy due to the expertise level involved, and our focus as a company has never been towards nail art, but clsses are available and taught by some of the industry's most famous experts!

CND also teaches SpaManicure and SpaPedicure techniques.

Classes that take technicians to the highest level are available in the CND Master Classes which were started some 6-8 years ago in order to give technicians the chanced to become the best they could be under expert guidance.

Seems incredible that one of CND's 5 dedicated Academy Advisors (who advise people all day long every day about the courses available) did not pass on any of this information. The CND Creative Academy brochure which they send out in the post certainly outlines all the classes in black and white very clearly including course content.

Your decision of course to 'ditch them' as you say ... but I would say it was an uninformed decision even if right for you in the end.
 

dee

supernatural geek
Joined
Jun 18, 2003
Messages
5,576
Reaction score
135
Location
cambridge,ON canada .. but originally from uk , lo
hi i did my training with creative and as for the teaching of safety, contra indications and so on , it was excellent they do not miss anything out as far as i know, they have very high regard for working safely in the salon, they are a brilliant company with brilliant teaching , i have done other courses with other companies and usually thought they wernt up to what i expected, i did not feel like that with creative , hope this helps
 

Bryony

British Aussie Geek
Joined
Jan 29, 2004
Messages
595
Reaction score
18
Location
Brisbane, Australia
Carlene,

As you are doing a full beauty course you should learn A&P, contra-indications etc. etc. etc as part of that course so although this stuff SHOULD be covered on a course teaching you enhancements you soon know it anyway.

As for airbrushing, speak to or email Melle Stripp at All Things Nails, she runs one day courses, price includes kit with some paints/ stencils. If you don't have an airbrush you can use theirs on the day (Good I think as they are expensive, wouldn't want to shell out without getting a feel for it first!). I am going on the course on Sat 10th July which is going to be held in Chingford. www.allthingsnails.co.uk or tel: 07970 521178 / 020 8527 0176

HTH, Good luck,

B x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top