Advice on what to do if nails have been overfiled

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocolatesam

Reaction score
Hi. I have recently passed a home uv gel course. Ive only done my practising on my trainer hand and myself so im still a newbee. Ive recently tried using a new "extreme white" gel on my own natural nail tip (the new gel is alot thinner to the one i trained with and i wanted a super white french manicure look), but the white kept chipping off. Because it looked a mess i decided to remove the entire product.
Being a newbee and not having a lot of practice in removing gel i have over filed my nails. They are extremelly thin and quite tender.
HELP.... Im unsure what to do now...:grr:
Do i put more product on to try and give them some strength or leave them bare for a bit..
Im worried about putting more gel on just in case that chips of too. I dont think my nails would take another filing to remove the gel if it did....
But at the same time my nails feel too weak to leave bare....
Id go to a salon to have them done properly but im feeling a bit silly, i just know they will comment on how over filed they are....

dont feel silly, weve all been through that at some time in our careers. it just helps you understand the importance of being gentle with the file.

2 options in my opinion....

try a soak off gel. its unlikely to chip and can be removed in a soak off solution rather than by file. keep them short and be careful when curing. its a very gentle application process.

or trim your nails short and go bare and keep on massaging in cuticle oil 3 or more times a day to encourage faster regrowth of healthy nails. you should see a good improvement in 6 weeks.

to echo Susan....

I know I did that at the beginning when I was let loose with my files!!!! and I was trained by the best of the best :o

Luckily I only ever did it to myself...and I think we can often be harder on our own nails....

Have you got the rings of fire? ( red spots on the nail bed? )
Thats what I did on two of my nails...

It hurts like hell....and no amount of L&P ( in my case ) would stop it lifting on these areas...

so I kept my nails bare and smothered them in CND Solar Oil....( my miracle, wonder product )

It soon cleared up with the cuticle oil religiously applied at every opportunity....and a very valuable lesson was learned!!!! :lol:

The damage cant be fixed...it has to grow out. I did it when i started out too...on myself

Hun don't worry everyone no matter who they trained with does this to themselves to begin with its an art in its self filing your own nails :irked:
As said it will grow out and keep piling on the solar oil :hug:

If you do decide to apply a new gel application because your nails are sore make sure you apply the gel in thin layers otherwise you could end up with really painful heat spikes because your nails will be more sensitive.

anne xx

Thank you very much for all your advice..
I probably sound really dumb now... but could the fact that im over filing be the reason the gel as lifted in the first place?????
Im just going on mercedes69's coment on her product lifting also over her rings of fire

I'd apply a layer of soak off gel only (Calgel and Biogel) and be very very careful not to get it on your cuticles so you don't have lifting. I wouldn't use a buff off/acrylic gel or L&P because if you have lifting it's gonna be very painful. Otherwise, get a good solid base coat and apply several layers to the nail followed by a top coat.

Thank you very much for all your advice..
I probably sound really dumb now... but could the fact that im over filing be the reason the gel as lifted in the first place?????
Im just going on mercedes69's coment on her product lifting also over her rings of fire

possibly, its alaways more difficult to get product to stay on a damaged foundation.

its most likely that you still have some work to do on your preparation and application processes.

Latest posts

Back