Advice/opinions on leaving my office job

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachy86

Reaction score
Hello lovelies!

This may turn out to be a long one!
Ok so I have recently gone down to part time in my office job in order to take on my beauty work(I am mobile). The plan is to drop my office work altogether eventually so I can be 100% working for my business.

I'm getting sick and tired of my part time job. I work mornings, weekends and evenings to fit in my clients, it's got to the stage where the last couple of weeks I have earnt more than my office job pays.

I get frustrated because I have not got enough time to focus on promoting my business because the time that I am not treating clients, I am doing my office job which would be useful to do admin/ promo work.
I guess to cut a long story short I want to leave and let "the fear" of relying on just on my business wages Make me work harder and harder.

I do rely on my office wages as guaranteed money to pay my mortgage and bills. But I also then mirror those wages with my beauty work. I love my business I just want to put 100% time into it which I cannot at the moment while I am at the office.
I am nicely busy in my business and want to gain more clients.

If I was single and on my own I wouldn't hesitate to take the plunge.
However my partner is very very organised and budgets everything to the penny and is very black and White and does not do risk taking.

I am confident I will succeed, I will have to because I will be relying on me and me only to make money.
I love what I do passionately!!!!

Any advice geeks?xxx

Just a little bump :)

Hi ya

I can't offer much advice but wanted to say I know how u feel. I have recently opened a little salon (just me) and I love it. I too am working part time in an office and am desp to make the jump but I too have 'the fear' of losing a regular income. The salon is doing really well and following a recent Groupon deal have been incredibly busy. My plan is to see how many rebookings I get and then re assess the situ. We are also looking at what costs we can cut at home.

I am currently working six days a week (occasionally 7) and often til 9pm at night. It's tough and I'm exhausted but I want to be full time at the salon ASAP and I know I have to work hard to achieve that. I have had some amazing feedback from clients so know I'm good enough - it really is just the loss of regular money that scares me!

Where do we go? When do you know it's right?

I will be interested to see what replies you get, and hopefully we will both be able to make the transition soon!!

Good luck with your venture!!

Dee xx

Ps I'm in hairdressing

Quit!!! It's clear you want to :) the only thing holding you back is your partner's concern, or his perceived concern.

If I were you, I would take him out for dinner & prep him that this is what you want to discuss. You both need to agree this so if you hit a slow patch you know you have his support. If it helps him & his organisation, do a business plan so he can see the numbers work.

Go for it my lovely you clearly want to make it work xxx

Hey just wanted to add my little bit I worked nightshifts along with my salon relying in my nightshift wage until it got to much February this year I have not looked back once as I put so much more into my little Salon and it's going from strength to strength get a little saved first is my advise but it's an amazing feeling putting all my effort in to what's mine at the end of the day love love love it x x good luck in whatever u decide x

I can't believe u r exactly the same as me! I'm doing 32 hours a week in the office and 2 or 3 evenings doing nails and really want to do it full time and am going to train to spray tan too. I too am worried about getting business, I have 3 young children and my husband is self employed so I feel that if I leave my job we would have no guaranteed income and what if I couldn't get any clients :(

Quit!!! It's clear you want to :) the only thing holding you back is your partner's concern, or his perceived concern.

If I were you, I would take him out for dinner & prep him that this is what you want to discuss. You both need to agree this so if you hit a slow patch you know you have his support. If it helps him & his organisation, do a business plan so he can see the numbers work.

Go for it my lovely you clearly want to make it work xxx

Thank you so much! Thank you girls too! I'm handing in my notice and leaving at the end of this month. I am so excited/terrified/enthusiastic about it all!!
Xxx

Fantastic! I too finish my office job at the end of Sept. I can't flipping wait. I know it'll work, it has to ;)

Good luck lady! Xxx

I've just seen this topic and was going to say take the plunge but you have beat me to it and handed your notice in :)

I was in the same position. Full time job and doing nails on days off and weekends but I got to the point were I was exhausted and could not fit anymore clients in. I didn't want to loose any clients so though sod it and handed my notice in. Same as you terrified but excited.
Now two weeks after leaving I don't know how I had time to do both.

When you can devote your full time and attention to your business you will be surprised how many more bookings you get.

The best of luck to you :)
Vicki x

Good Luck to all those making a break for it!!! I can't wait for the day when I am able to :Dxxx

Hey geeks!

I am so scared/excited/nervous. I handed in my notice today at my part time job.
My last day is next Monday and so from a week tomorrow I will be 100% full time self employed and all by myself!! Ah it's so exciting yet scary. I know "the fear" will get me through, will push me to bend over backwards/work all the hours/ put in all the effort to make this work in a monetary and business sense!
My "speciality" treatments are male and female waxing, both general and intimate and lash extensions (I'd just like to thank Claudia(blinkingorgeous) for her extra mentoring :amaze!)

Wish me luck girlies and boys *bites lip hard*

Xx

X

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll be knackered, over worked, under paid, feel like a horrible person for taking money from people and have complaints to deal with yourself!

But guess what.. I'd have it no other way than work for myself! ;) good luck hunni xx

Wow! Go you!! I'm still not brave enough... :(

good luck, you won't regret it! I've been doing it almost a year on my own now and it was the best decision!

I quit my job in M&s 7 yrs ago and it was the best thing I ever did. I love working for myself x

Good for you - good luck!!!!! I can't wait til I can do the same xx

Well done Rachel, you bit the bullet, you won't regret it, enjoy :0) xxxx. And you are more than welcome for the mentoring xxx

You'll be knackered, over worked, under paid, feel like a horrible person for taking money from people and have complaints to deal with yourself!

But guess what.. I'd have it no other way than work for myself! ;) good luck hunni xx

Love This! This is so true, blue! .. Ha ha, give myself a year once I'm over the whole "new salon owner" thing and hopefully I won't feel bad for taking people's money, nor will I still feel Underpaid!! .. Overworked maybe, yes.. But underpaid..no!! X

As long as you have the resources to keep you going while you build up your clientele, which can take anywhere from 6 months to a year, then I'm sure with determination and drive you will do well.

The big mistake for many people who start out on their own is to think that they will be instantly busy, just because they were in the salon they worked in. This is NOT the case.

You will have days with nobody, days with 2 people then you will get a busy day and think you've cracked it, only to have another empty day. It can be disheartening.

Go in with your eyes wide open and money to back you up and pay the bills and you will be ok.

Good luck, it's not easy, I know I've been there and done it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back