Advice please: Problem with gel overlays

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stacy

Reaction score
I've got a new client who booked in for gel overlays on toes and hands and a brow wax, I did her treatments on Tuesday last week. The lady usually goes to the local spa to get her treatments done and booked with me as she has a baby now so preferred a mobile treatment.

During the consultation, I talked her through the difference between an NSI gel overlay and an Orly Gel Fx overlay and she decided to go with the NSI gel overlay. I completed her toes and started on her hands, she already had what she said were coloured hard gel overlays on her hands that had been on for about 4 weeks. When I looked they were still perfect but had a large growth area and I explained that I would have to file them off and apply the new set as she wanted french but when I started to file I realised they were actually gel polish of some kind so removed them in the correct way. At this point I talked to the client again about the different overlays available and she was sure that she wanted the NSI gel overlays so I applied them to her hands before doing her brows.

The whole appointment was a nightmare as her little one demanded her attention throughout and I was there for a lot longer time than normal, as she was an old friend I didn't mind and she was also really apologetic about it all. By the time I'd finished her treatments I was absolutely drained and worried about the next appointment as I knew I couldn't spend so much time there in future so I even arranged for my sister to be there to babysit.

Anyway, I got a call on Thursday to say that her nails were lifting on her hands and looked a mess so even though I tried to book her in the following morning she wanted me there that evening so I returned to her after my last appointment. When I got there her index finger had broken off to half way down and the natural nail showed signs of stress where it had come off. When I asked her what had happened, she told me it had just come off and she hadn't done anything. The other nails looked perfect still so I fixed the nail that had broken and left.

I received a message yesterday stating that she wanted to give up on the nails as they aren't lasting. She said her big toe came off on Friday and on her right hand 2 have almost come off too and this had happened by Saturday.

I replied this morning, nicely of course, that I have a regular clientele and in all of my 10 years of doing nails I've never had a toe nail come off so I would consult with you guys and get back to her. I've also had a message and voicemail in the last hour asking when I can sort her out.

She says she isn't taking any medication, the nail I fixed did show signs of stress so it's obvious to me that it didn't just ping off, I haven't seen the other nails she's having problems with so can't comment but as for the toe nail - I'm amazed how that has come off.

The client is demanding but the only problem I have is that it doesn't look good on me as her previous gel polish application lasted very well. Not only is this gutting for me to not have a client 100% happy but this lady also knows a lot of people and I'd rather leave it on a good ending so how would you handle this?

Also to note - her baby has very bad eczema and she is using a lot of creams and bath products to sort the problem, I did wonder if this would have any impact on the gel and did mention to be careful at the time of application?

Hi

Maybe you are using a different system to the previous one she had on.

If I was in that situation I would honestly just refund her for her nails and toes and put it down to a bad experience, as I would want to be called out last thing at night to put a nail right, and as you have done it once she would expect it again. There could be so many reasons as to why this has happened, but like we all know if you have done everything correct then there is no reason why any nail should just come off!
I would just simply apologise and offer her the money back, saves any hard feelings then and keep it very simple. As really you don't really know what she's been doing with her nails

Good luck with this

Danielle

Thanks for your reply Danielle.

It's a toughie as I really like the client but I don't like the problems ha ha. Her last system was like a gel polish so I'm wondering if the flexibility of those suited her better. I have arranged to go to her tonight to remove them but feel a bit deflated about it all.

Any other geeks out there with any ideas?

Latest posts

Back