Advice re greenie please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmojo

Reaction score
Good evening everyone.

I've had a lady come to me today for a 3 week rebalance and change of colour gel. After removing the gel I found that her thumb nail has some green. After thoroughly cleansing and filing away of the gel I think the green may actually be between her nail and nail bed. This particular nail is an odd one anyway and her nail has always been seperated from the nail bed higher on the right side - which is why she goes for colour and not french.

However - I think this seperation is worse than normal and may be due to this bacterial infection. I have today advised her that I would rather not put a colour on as I want to keep an eye on it, and seek some opinions. She claims that it is not sore or painful in any way. I've taken a couple of photo's but can't figure out how to get them on here to show you.

Do you think I should refer her to her GP and I'm concerned that this may be spreading and stop applying gel to this nail?

Any advice would be most welcome, in the meantime I will try and post the pictures to my profile.

Thanks everyone, x

I had a client just like this....The key to stopping this getting worse and is keeping the area clean and dry. My client continued to have gel colour overlays (to hide the stain) and she would apply a drop of scrubfresh (I gave her a little in bottle) each night before going bed and she kept the nail dry..she wore gloves for washing up and even while in the bath/shower...but wow the difference in 2 weeks was amazing. The stain has yet to grow out but its not getting worse...and the nail is reattaching to the nail bed.

Here is a link to some fab reading about bacteria on Nails...

http://www.salongeek.com/health-safety-unatural/2641-moldy-oldy-fun-guys.html

Thanks Angie!
I have been helping her grow this nail (due to the funny angle) so it looks nice and even at the free edge, but do you think for now I should suggest that we cut it right back so that she can get to this particular area in order to clean it throughly each day? It would mean that her free edge is at a rather diagonal angle, but at least it might help...

I had a client with a similar prob on her ring finger. She came to me with Bio Gel on in a dark colour and never mentioned it and when I removed I was shocked it was greeny colour and seperated from the nailbed to half way down and completly across. It was wet down between the nail plate and nail bed and when you pressed it was squishy. She could see how worried I was and simply said 'Oh that's nothing I had it on all my fingers at one time'. Well I could'nt believe what I was hearing and explained what it was and that she should not have had coloured gel applied as bacteria like dark areas to grow. She insisted on having her colour put back on and I got her to sign a disclaimer. I told her to keep it as dry as possible and to put Tea Tree oil down the nail every night and morning. This kept it dry and it has grown out in no time. But honestly I could not believe that her nail tech had carried on doing her nails when she had it on all of them and told her that it would all be ok and soon grow out, she said it had took nearly a year. Now she can't believe how quick this last bit has dried up and grown out.

I would reduce the length completely...any free edge will just act like a leaver and increase the risk of catching it and making it worse.....just try and make it as short but level as possible. x

Latest posts

Back