Advice re: possible filing dust allergy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becki2003

Reaction score
Morning geeks, hope you're beginning to feel Christmassy.
I'm in need of a little advice please with regards to what I think may be a filing dust allergy or irritation. Apologies for the long post.
For a few months now I have been developing rather itchy hands. I just started with a little itch the day after I'd done a full set of L&P on myself. I took them off quickly and the itch went away, carried on working as normal. I tried again and the same thing happened. So I took them off and haven't put them back on. This time though my fingers started to become scaly and started splitting and cracking. The doctors gave me a steroid cream, they got worse, I was then given antibiotics, they got worse. So I decided to start wearing gloves when working on all clients and was given steroid cream with an anti fugal cream and antihistamines. The antihistamines helped with the itch but the cream didn't make my hands any better. I had a week off work (as it was very quiet) and used sudocrem. My hands started to heal. I went back to work this week, have had gloves on, long sleeves, barrier cream etc and I'm back to itching with a vengeance (I have literally only done 1 infill and 1 full set of sculpts) I've tried this process with both my L&P and Gel (I'm an NSI nail tech) and I itch equally as bad after doing either (hence my conclusion that it might be filing dust). After studying the MSDS sheets for all the products in the Attraction and Balance Gel ranges I have discovered one common ingredient. Triethylene Glycol Dimethacrylate. I am about to go to the doctor to ask for an allergy test but my question here is for any product chemistry geeks out there. Could this one ingredient be the cause of this itching? If it is, does that meant that by changing my products to something that doesn't contain this ingredient I may solve my problem? Or does a filing dust irritation mean that all filing dust, regardless of this ingredient, is going to make this happen? I just want to arm myself with as much information as possible. I've done a search on here found some information but need to get to the bottom of this so that I can work out what to do with my business. For me, my whole reason for being was to work with L&P and create beautiful nails, I'm not very good with gel, i don't get asked for it much, but I do a lot of Shellac. If it turns out to be an allergy to triethylene glycol dimethacrylate can any geeks suggest products that don't contain it. So far I don't think it's in CND Retention+ liquid but it is in CND Radical and I think it's also in Bio Sculpture too. Thanks for your help. I'm feeling quite despondent at the moment xx
Ps. I should also add that I have adequate ventilation and also have an extraction unit as part of my desk. Xx

Last edited:
Just a quick update. I have been to see my GP and he said they don't do allergy testing for chemicals. My best bet is to stay away from what I think is causing my fingers to do this. His advice - get a different job. Helpful. If anyone has any advice, please help. I've invested so much into this career and I love nails I don't want to have to go back to teaching. It's such a waste of £30k 😢

Back