Advice wanted :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k-j

Reaction score
Hey my names kamie, and ive just finished Beauty therapy nvq level 2 and 3. ive also done vtct Nail technology and nail art.
Ive been handing my cv's out in salons around Manchester City centre and im finding it impossible to get a job. How long did it take most of you to get jobs?
Most of the salons are only interested in people who actually have salon experience, but how are us college leavers supose to get experience if we dont get given a chance?
I went to the Steiner Cruise ship interviews and they said they were impressed with my trade test and interview but want me to have at least 6months experience in a salon.
So i think im stuck in a bit of a rut at the moment.
any advice would be helpful xxxxxxxx

you might drop luckly. I find it hard to find a job but i got two kids and no experience in a salon.
when i look for a job they are always wantng someone with at least 1 year.
how is anyone suppose to get any experince if they don't give you a job.

let me know how you get on.

GOOD LUCK

Hi

Speaking from a salon owners point of view, i know what you are saying however when you take on a newbie they are so much slower and just dont bring in the money to cover their wages sometimes. the best thing you can do is practice like mad and get your times down. then go in to a salon that is advertising and offer to work for free for a couple of days to show them you can do it!
this will impress the boss as its nice to have someone who really wants to work and is enthusiastic too.

Or pop a cover note in with your cv saying that you are prepared to come in for no pay etc. Once you get your foot in the door so to speak................ and you can then add that to your cv.

Hi Kamie

I had the same problem when I first started plus it was harder for me as I was looking for a part-time position in a salon,as I'm also cabin crew at the moment. I did what Little Angle said and did some free work experience in 2 salons in London,it was good to see how every nail tech works differently and you pick up handy tips.But the bosses were taking the p^**,as they never had any models for me the days I went in and then they asked if I would answer fones ,clean up,etc so I left them.
Then I struck very lucky 1 month ago a lovely little salon in essex I said I was willing to work for free to start up with until she thought I was that good that she could pay me.After my first free model she said these nails are great we can't do them for free so she charges clients at the moments half price if done by Me,I love it there and it's part-time and she's got lots of models for me,I'm so lucky,but it has taken me over a year,good luck keep trying.

charmaine
xxx

im looking for part time, but the problem round here is that there is so many students wanting work placements that nobody wants part time.

amyway i will have to get out there

hee hee hee,
and here's me thinking they meant 'experience' was supposed to mean actual time doing it, not just the hours clocked up in a shop!!!! oops, better start looking for a location myself!!! lol

Latest posts

Back