Advice with client refusing doctor's letter

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouboutinLover

Reaction score
I've had a horrible voicemail off a client basically saying that if I require a doctors note I can pay the £25 myself. She trusts her doctor and that is enough for her.

Basically she bruised her nail a few months ago and I was happy to treat the nails as long as it looked like a bruise - now it doesn't. It's actually getting worse, it looks like severe oncholyosis too me - but who knows I'm not a doctor after all. It just looks 'not right' I've had a chat with my insurance who say I'm flooding the correct procedure and I put it all in a text to her explaining everything. Her tone was vile in the voicemail she responded with saying she didn't care what an insurance company said etc. and the truth is I'm really not sure how to respond! Obviously I'm not going to do her nails without a note anyway, especially after her voicemail. But how would you guys respond? I'm only doing what's right for her for goodness sake!

Thank you!

that you don't want the responsibility of her nails being infected and being accused of it later? At the very least ask her to sign a paper to you with date and everything that she takes full responsibility of her choice and that you will suffer no consequences if she doesn't go to the doctor and refuses to listen to rational advice given solely with her best interest at heart.

She's clearly not in the mood to listen, so it doesn't matter what you say really. I'd send her a short text along the lines of 'I'm worried the damaged is turning into something more serious and I'm not comfortable risking doing more damage to you and your nails. I'd love to see you again once it's more healed, text me in a couple of weeks and we'll have another look, best regards LouboutinLover

And don't engage anymore, you've done everything you can, it's time to leave the ball in her court and step away. You may lose her as a client but if she's that rude to you, why would you want her anyway :(

I would reply with something along the lines of, Unfortunately I am unable to continue your nail services until I receive a doctor's note to ensure that I am not causing you any harm. I will be sorry to lose you as a client if you choose not to follow my advice, but client safety comes first. If you do go ahead then I look forward to hearing from you to book your next appointment.

Some clients refuse to see that you are looking out for them. Just like the people who kick off over a tint test x

I'd say the same as above without 'I'd love to see you again'!

Thank you so much ladies, I have been so very upset about this I was worried I'd reply in anger. So I really appreciate the help. I'm just in utter disbelief, this woman has bought me xmas presents and I can't believe she's spoke too me like that. Wish me luck!

What a dreadful woman. Giving presents does not buy you the right to speak to people like that so don't even take that into account.

She is totally disrespecting you as a professional. I would lose this one in a heartbeat.

I'm tempted to decline seeing her again, but I've taken your ladies good advice and sent her the message you very kindly wrote out. She's responded nastily again and I'm refusing to reply. But now if she does come back with the doctors note I don't think I want too see her at all. I'm still in utter shock [emoji17]

I'm tempted to decline seeing her again, but I've taken your ladies good advice and sent her the message you very kindly wrote out. She's responded nastily again and I'm refusing to reply. But now if she does come back with the doctors note I don't think I want too see her at all. I'm still in utter shock [emoji17]

How unpleasant of her, it's hurtful when you invest emotionally in people and this is how they behave. Onwards and upwards head held high knowing you've done the right thing

Silly woman, I'd be tempted to say not to worry, you've saved yourself the cost of the doctor's note as you are no longer welcome.

It irritates me how people think they have a right to speak to you so rudely and you're just going to accept it and bend backwards for them x

Remember you have nothing to feel bad about you haven't done anything. Personally I wouldn't touch her. Take control and say it's more than my jobs worth. Just say the money is nice but I'm not that desperate to make your nail worse

Oh god lord her response is enough to give her a wide birth! Always follow your gut! X

Gosh shame I had a client who got verbally abusive with me after I refused to put gel and acrylic on her nails anymore unless she took a break of a month and had IBX or did something. She used to peel her own gel off and nails were like paper!

I have since lost her as a client but she quite honestly wasn't worth the hassle.

Stick to your instincts and be the professional at the end of the day it's your final call to do them or not.

You've done the right thing. Hopefully she doesn't come back. I had to refuse treatment in a elderly client of mine. 2 days before Christmas. I felt terrible, it took a bit of convincing as she was very disappointed but luckily she accepted I wasn't going to do it cos I felt it was in her best interest. Turns out I was right to be cautious in the new year she showed her doc who said how nasty it was and gel polish wouldn't be ok til it healed. Tbh cos of her age and her meds I don't think it will ever heal, but she has had me back to do her toes. In the end this lady realised I was doing the best for her. I'm sure there will be someone who will do this ladies nails without a second throught for the safety, and when she is in pain from it she will be wanting to come back to the person who put her welfare before earning money. It's not like we say this to clients for our benefit - I refused treatment
= I lost money xxx

I've only started my journey as a nail tech in January this year, but I've been in the customer service industry for over 10 years. Don't feel bad about this, this is going to probably save you a world of pain further down the line. If she reacts like this and you are only looking after her well-being imagine if you depended in her to stand by you through a rough patch. Stay strong and move on. There is such a thing as firing customers ;)

[QUOTEStay strong and move on. There is such a thing as firing customers ;)[/QUOTE]

There is indeed and boy does it feel good ;)
Some people I've been really glad to see the back of

I'd just say that unfortunately due too insurance and hygiene purposes without the letter you cannot perform the treatment so if she's not willing too get it she would have too go elsewhere xxxx

Latest posts

Back