After college?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beauty Box

Reaction score
Hi, I have my interview for a place on the Beauty Therapy level 2 course at college in a few weeks and I was just wondering what people tend to do after they qualify? Do salons take therapists on that have just qualified? I've had a little look at some job vacancys on the internet and they all say must have experience even the ones that are asking for junior beauty therapists, so I was just wondering what to expect when I do qualify next year and start looking for a job!

A salon will always prefer a therapist that can bring a client list with them, but there are opportunities out there for newly-qualifieds. You just have to be really confident and good at your treatments, have a great college reference, look the part, and be willing to muck in. Not too much to ask!

Hi, I have my interview for a place on the Beauty Therapy level 2 course at college in a few weeks and I was just wondering what people tend to do after they qualify? Do salons take therapists on that have just qualified? I've had a little look at some job vacancys on the internet and they all say must have experience even the ones that are asking for junior beauty therapists, so I was just wondering what to expect when I do qualify next year and start looking for a job!

With regards to your interview it is good that you are researching for after your course but in a way, try not to worry too much now as so much will change in you during the course and you may well find a different direction that you may not have thought about before the course. The interviewers want to get a feel for you as a person, and your potential, and how keen you are.

It also depends where you are as to what happens after a Level 2 course. In my area, many of the Level 2s go on to Level 3 as there are just not the jobs on offer. It may be different where you are.

If you want to go on to work in cruise ships then I think you need to contact them directly to see what they want.

And then if you want to work for yourself then having Level 2 is sufficient. Whether you work mobile or set up your own salon. What you do need is enough confidence and ability which means lots of work during college and lots of practise outside of college.

Your interviewers want to see your level of commitment and enthusiasm, so do not worry so much about having a precise game-plan for the future. You would do no worse than to look at your hearts desires - what do you really want for you. What makes you smile. But it could be that if you just look at salons and what they want (or pay) it could be just too depressing!

Sorry if I have gone off at a tangent to your question. (I am a very mature person who did a career change and did some one day courses and have been happily working mobile with a good client base, and have still returned to college and am doing my NVQ Level 2 to open up my options. I will probably go on to do Level 3 too if I can but continue to be mobile until I am able to have my own salon, possibly at home. I might consider a teaching qualification in the future but I do not know.)

my plan is to complete level 2 in a few months, look at going mobile and in sept going onto level 3 and in the meantime doing day courses ie minx

Salons will normally give you a trade test. Be confident, enthusiastic and trustworthy and you won't have a problem finding a job. Good luck!

Thank you for all your comments :)

why not try contacting local salons and offering to do work experience there? I have just recently taken on 2 work experience girls from a local college who are offering their services to me because they are dedicated to their chosen career and are willing to do this to gain experience in the "real world" of salons whilst they are training. I have informed them that i have no vacancies for them after their work experience, and they are just happy to come into the salon anyway. I think both these girls will go a long way in their career because they are putting in the groundwork that good therapists need.

They are both coming into the salon for about 4 hours per week. Not a huge amount of time, but invaluable experience for them both, and I will be more than happy to reference them if they need it.

Hope this helps.

I have to agree with all that Gorgeous Bod has put!

I too, am a mature lady (46) and had a whole career change at 40yrs - did college beauty courses and 2 day courses - am now studying Level 3 Makeup Artistry as I love this aspect of beauty!

Go with your heart and you will not go far wrong - also keep your passion as this will show through in your treatments - be honest and your clients will trust you.

I set up my own small salon at the side of my house 5 yrs ago and loved every minute of it - went on product training days for all the products I used - so met lots of wonderful therapists out there and it was great to help each other with ideas and treatments, I wish I had trained many years ago - but life changes all the time and now I so enjoy doing what I know - I get much pleasure out of making women feel so good about themselves.

I have just trained and now offer Microdermabrasion as I have moved to a new area now and am slowly starting my own business up again - working from home - I just love being in my own environment and offering people peace and relaxation - a different working regime to my last area, but hopefully it will work in my favour - great to meet new and interesting people too! I will not advertise as I find that recommendations from friends and family is the best way forward - this worked for my last time and my clientele were absolutely fabulous - so much so that I am travelling back down to my hometown this weekend to attend to 7 of my clients as they cannot find a therapist who they feel comfortable and the treatments are not like what I used to give them - this is the biggest honour anyone could give me :)

So basically, don't lose your focus and don't worry too much yet until nearer completion of your course as things in business change all the time. Concentrate on getting as much practise on your friends and family and then deciding what treatments you really get fulfilment from, as there will be some you least enjoy!

Have as much fun as you can whilst you are training - you will find your niche - honest :)

Good Luck x

Hi thank you for everyones replies. I have decided to do level 3 after level 2 and have also changed colleges. I went to an open evening at another college last night and this college is fantastic and I will not have to pay for my course because they are giving me funding where as at the other college my fee was £1500 and £250 for kit and uniform so that's great and I can do level 3 after level 2 for £395. The college uses dermalogica which is great and because I will be a mature student (I'm 29) they take the fact that I have 2 small children into account when arranging my timetable so it will fit in better with school and nursery! The college salon was all redone a year ago so everything really nice and new! So I'm so so happy and cannot wait till september to start my course and the fact that I've saved almost £2000 and will get better training etc is brilliant x

Hi thank you for everyones replies. I have decided to do level 3 after level 2 and have also changed colleges. I went to an open evening at another college last night and this college is fantastic and I will not have to pay for my course because they are giving me funding where as at the other college my fee was £1500 and £250 for kit and uniform so that's great and I can do level 3 after level 2 for £395. The college uses dermalogica which is great and because I will be a mature student (I'm 29) they take the fact that I have 2 small children into account when arranging my timetable so it will fit in better with school and nursery! The college salon was all redone a year ago so everything really nice and new! So I'm so so happy and cannot wait till september to start my course and the fact that I've saved almost £2000 and will get better training etc is brilliant x

Brilliant news that you have even managed to find yourself a better college and saved all that money to boot too. You will love it and it will not be long until September. Have they said you definitely have a place? There was a lot of competition at our college but just be you, be enthusiastic and if you have an assignment to do just remember they want to see how you can handle the instructions and do as you are asked etc. Keep the faith if you have those hurdles to do yet. :hug:

Hi, no i do not have a place yet, i have only applied for the course last week, so i have got to wait for a letter offering me an interview and then once ive had my interview they tell you within 2 weeks if youve been offered a place or not.
I also have an interview at the other local college next wednesday, which i am still going to go too, just to keep my options open in case i wasnt accepted at this other college.
But im keeping my fingers crossed for this other college.

Good for you :)

I'm a college lecturer and we incorporate a big section within level 2 and 3 on careers, we invite big well known companys from all aspects of the beauty industry in throughout the year to give talks to the students and some even do mock interviews, all to help you be prepared for interviews and trade tests, we explore all the avenues you can go down caeer wise too, so I'm sure your college will be the same and give lots of help and advice throughout the course duration. Alot of the students manage to secure jobs from their work experioence too.

Good luck, you sound enthusiastic and you are right to keep your options open until you secure your place. Hope you enjoy and achieve x

Hi I hope you get into the college you want, just be dedicated and confident in your work and you will go along way. When I was studying at college I got a part time job in a salon and this way I had my foot in the door before I qualified and I gained so much more experience for working in the salon while studying. I left my first salon job to go to another salon closer to my home and I feel it has really helped me now that I am qualified. It helped me build up your confidence in working with clients and carrying out treatments. I love the salon I am working in, and enjoying building up new clients x

Doesn't every job advertise want.people with experience ?! You will be fine"!

Craig Keane
www.hculture.co.uk

Ive got my interview tomorrow morning at 9.15 at the first college i applied for. And have also found out yesterday that they will also give me funding so i wont have to pay £1500 if i do decide to go with them (if i get a place). And they also use Dermalogica products and have invested money into st tropez tanning booths and other new equipment. So now i am even more confused about which would be the best college for me and also this college is 5 minutes in the car from where i live where as the other college is 25minutes drive in good traffic so that would add at least an extra hour onto my day.
I do know that this college that im going to tomorrow is hard to get into and the competition is tough for a place, so wish me luck :Scared:

Hi, I have just been for my interview and they have offered me a place on the course! So I am very pleased x

Hi can u help me got a,college interview for tomorow for beauty therapy what should I expect
I really want to get a place so much Xxx w
Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

when i applied for my course they asked me why i wanted to do the course what was expected like everyone must carry our and c#have the treatments carried out on them, the benefits like extra training courses....you'll be fine nothing to worry about :) x

Latest posts

Back