After going red

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Monroe

Reaction score
I dont often post in the hair section as I am only just doing my level 2 but I'm getting so confused with colouring. I have natural blonde hair and regularly had it lightened with tint. I decided to go red had it done in a salon. I really loved it but as you know it fades and now has a rusty coloured look in the top section, some red at the mid length and a pinky,blonde bits at the tips, not looking so hot lol!
I want to know the options now as I can't afford to have it refreshed every week.
Please can someone explain the reason why it clings to certain parts of my hair to and why red loses colour
Thank you and sorry feel like a totally newbie ha ha

Last edited by a moderator:
I am confused as to why this has been moved. Only professionals & people in training can post on the hair forum,Not a salon professional (or aspiring one!) but need some professional advice?) <<<
this is me how will I get the professional answer I require in consumer enquires.

I want to understand colouring better as I stated I'm still doing my Level 2 and want to know why red fades so quickly and why it clings to hair.
As well as options after dying hair red.
I feel I have been dismissed as a professional to be and if someone who was training in beauty or nails posted a question in the forums I would help them understand the chemistry behind a process

Last edited by a moderator:
Reds are a small "volatile" molecule. You open the cuticle of the hair when you pre-lighten, then add the red. If the cuticle doesn't close properly, or the hair is degraded so that the cuticle no longer exists, those red molecules can "fall out" or wash away very quickly.

The most volatile pigments are the blues and the reds (hence ash toners washing out quick too).

If the pre-lightened hair has some cuticle, good conditioners can really help. If the hair has uneven porosity, a porosity filler will help.
If there is no cuticle, constant application of red semi's will eventually stain the hair. Takes a good few goes though.

so does this mean if a red was to go brown it would be different shades where it has faded and where it is still there?
How do you know what colours you can go from red as its not on the Universal chart. I am really struggling with this.:mad:

Latest posts

Back