Age for Gelish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeeta

Reaction score
Hiya, I am wondering what age everyone will apply gelish on?I understand not under 16 years of age and wouldnt do this for any clients. My daughter would love me to do her nails. She is 9 years old. I just wonder if anyone else has done so?just as special occ?

Thanksin advance.x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hiya, I am wondering what age everyone will apply gelish on?I understand not under 16 years of age and wouldnt do this for any clients. My daughter would love me to do her nails. She is 9 years old. I just wonder if anyone else has done so?just as special occ?

Thanksin advance.x

I think professionally most people will do it on 14 years and up (usually with parents permission).. When kids are mature enough and enjoy having their nails done yet not as extreme as a set of enhancements. Or some people are really strict and will only do on 16 years+, sometimes the age limit is also set by their insurance.

For your own daughter it completely up to you as a parent.. Do you think she would take care of her nails? Kids have a tendency to pick, which causes damage... Aslong as you apply and remove the product safely, and keep a good eye on her to make sure she's taking extra good care then I think it's completely fine :)
X

She is your daughter, its really up to you.

My daughter is 9 and i did hers for a wedding we went to a couple of weeks ago. It's a one off. But she looks after her nails anyway (I've taught her well! ;) and oils twice a day. And obviously I'll be removing them the correct way.
I also didn't buff prior to application.

I would not do it all the time though. It really is a one off as I don't like the idea of using the cleanser/ remover on her nails/skin all the time. x

I did my 7 year old daughters and my 13 year old daughter before we went on holiday this year. I didn't buff their nails and it lasted 3 weeks, and I removed properly. I was advised by my Gelish educator, who does gelish on her 4 year old daughter, it is perfectly safe. If you want it to just last for a few days, you can do just the colour and top coat with no foundation, and it literally falls off after a few days. I have done that on a weekend for my 7 year old as well.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you so much for your replies. It was just for her birthday. She understands how to take care of her nails, just a nice little treat for her but i will not buff prior and will remove safely.

Thanks.xx

I do my 4 year olds nails for special occasions and my 10 year old always has gel polish with 3-4 week between applications

I think as a parent it is up to you :)
Some kids do pick etc, but some don't either - I was always always fussy about my nails (right from the word go pretty much) never ever bit them etc, I was mortified when friends bit their nails and/or sucked their thumbs :lol:

I have two now 13 year old nieces, and my sister in laws last holidays allowed them to have shellac on. I suppose parents have to weigh up the pros and cons, most parents just buy generic nail polish remover and don't consider if it has acetone in it, so if it's 14(ish) day wear with only one exposure to acetone over a fortnightly period, as opposed to nail polish only lasting a week if that (because lets face it, how many kids wait long enough for it to dry before playing), and the child having exposure to remover twice if not possibly more times fortnightly, then the shellac is probably a safer less dehydrating bet (providing parents don't bat a eyelash at if their remover contains acetone or not)

I must confess to being horrified by this. It is your child and your decision, but the manufacturers and their associations all say that their products should not be used on children. Every pediatrician and dermatologist I know says not to. Given the differences in a child's physiology, there are good reasons to be concerned. There are so many excellent alternatives to gel polishes - Vinylux, water based polishes for children, etc. - that I don't think it makes sense to use any enhancement, including gel polished on children, even as a one off special treat. My nieces are so exposed to nail stuff through me that they are pretty demanding for nail art of their own. I won't do gel polish on them, but they all love the glitter fades and rock star nails and stamping we've done together. They know that when they're 14, they can have gel polish, but they don't seem to feel like they're missing anything in the meantime. While I respect the knowledge that we have of our profession, when it comes to the health and safety of children, I defer to health care professionals.

Last edited:
My Gelish educator told me it was absolutely safe to use on children.

My Gelish educator told me it was absolutely safe to use on children.

I'd prefer to hear that from a health professional. She said that contrary to the manufacturer's (and the manufacturers association's) instructions.

We all know that gel polish can be a problem for adults; I can barely get adults to do their aftercare. With kids, there's the additional reality that most won't do aftercare, they're more likely to peel or do the removal improperly, there is greater exposure due to ingestion. Their nails are thinner, their immune systems less developed. I think that there are so many great alternatives to gel polish for kids that I don't understand why we would take the risk (a small one, we hope).

I'd prefer to hear that from a health professional. She said that contrary to the manufacturer's (and the manufacturers association's) instructions.

We all know that gel polish can be a problem for adults; I can barely get adults to do their aftercare. With kids, there's the additional reality that most won't do aftercare, they're more likely to peel or do the removal improperly, there is greater exposure due to ingestion. Their nails are thinner, their immune systems less developed. I think that there are so many great alternatives to gel polish for kids that I don't understand why we would take the risk (a small one, we hope).

How does a child's immune system have anything to do with gel polish? The immune systems job is to fight off infection, it has nothing to do with skin been over-sensitived from non fully cured product, which adults are just as much prone to as kids are.. And you also have to remember that these aren't young clients, they are kids of trained professionals who are there every day with constant supervision to keep check that they are doing their aftercare (most likely are doing it for them) and keep check that they are not picking. And do you seriously think these parents are going to let their daughters attempt to do the removal process themselves?
.. Jeeez, common sense people?

How does a child's immune system have anything to do with gel polish? The immune systems job is to fight off infection, it has nothing to do with skin been over-sensitived from non fully cured product, which adults are just as much prone to as kids are.. And you also have to remember that these aren't young clients, they are kids of trained professionals who are there every day with constant supervision to keep check that they are doing their aftercare (most likely are doing it for them) and keep check that they are not picking. And do you seriously think these parents are going to let their daughters attempt to do the removal process themselves?
.. Jeeez, common sense people?

I just came across this and wanted to point out that your immune system does a lot more than fight infection. The immune system manages how your body deals with foreign substances. Much of the time that is bacteria, funguses, or viruses that cause infection, but it is also chemicals, allergens, and even physical things (like splinters). A child's immune system is not fully developed and often over or under reacts - witness peanut allergies in kids! Kids are much more susceptible to allergies than adults. Also, my kids spend several hours away from me - at friends' homes, in school - plenty of time to pick at polish. But bottom line, the manufacturers say no.

There is much I would like to say about this but I will keep my opinion to myself as it would not be nicely put.

However what I do want to say is what's wrong with doing a manicure with a nice regular nail polish. Why oh why do you think you have to use gel polish, regular polish can be just as nice.

Do be too hasty in wanting your little girls to grow up so quickly, before you know it they will be!

My 3 year old watches me apply my own Shellac quite often and she asks to have hers done all the time. I just pull out regular polish, pop it on and let her put her hands in my switched off lamp. Even my 10 year old has regular polish. I just rather not put Shellac on them. I really enjoy doing girly things with them but I see UV/LED curable polishes as a more grown up thing, with risks of damage that a child may not be able to fully understand and therefore make an informed decision about whether they want it on their nails. Manufacturers say no for a reason and I would go along with that. However, some may not agree with putting polish on a 3 year old as we are all different and choose different things for our children.

Latest posts

Back