Allergic reaction? Please help, fellow hairdressers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

molliedolliee

Reaction score
Hi I am a hairdresser and I was just wondering if you could help me. I work as a colour technician so mainly just dealing with colours every day. I've been working in a salon for 6 years now. Just recently over the past two weeks I've developed a rash on my face which has caused one or even both my eyes to swell of a morning when I've woken up and then being consistently red itchy and sore throughout the day. I've been to the doctor who gave me some cream and it did help but now it's back again. I've been keeping my make up off my face and haven't changed anything soap or face cleansing wise. Is it possible to have a reaction to the colours on your face when working with them? My hands are fine. Thankyou

I don't think it's a reaction to colour! Colour reacts where it touches the skin but the irratation can spread but I've never heard of having a reaction on the face without tint touching the scalp! Try wearin gloves while applyin n rinsing colour n see if that makes a difference x

I don't think it's a reaction to colour! Colour reacts where it touches the skin but the irratation can spread but I've never heard of having a reaction on the face without tint touching the scalp! Try wearin gloves while applyin n rinsing colour n see if that makes a difference x

One of the other girls where I work is allergic to colour but it affects her hands (which I know is more obvious) but even she has had a bit of a rash on her face when she's been standing over colour. I think I'm just weird if I'm honest it could only happen to me lol. Thankyou for your comment and the advice x

After working with chemicals for a long time you can develop an algery to them. Do you use gloves? You could always be tested to see what causeing the algery. Or did the color company change the formula?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using SalonGeek mobile app

After working with chemicals for a long time you can develop an algery to them. Do you use gloves? You could always be tested to see what causeing the algery. Or did the color company change the formula?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using SalonGeek mobile app

Can you? I just find it strange I've been working with the same colours for nearly six years now and it's only just happened now. Yeah I wear gloves the non latex ones so I know it's nothing to do with latex. And no they haven't

Yes I've seen some develop an airborne allergy to colour when they apply or go near it they have the same symptoms as you and trouble breathing.

It's possible to be allergic to a small ingredient such as perfume in a certain brand if colour not just colour in general.

You would need to be tested against all ingredients in a tube.

It could be any number of things a virus etc. A hairdresing allergy is serious iv never seen one in 17 years but I have heard of one happening at college and the woman had to be rushed to hospital in an ambulance and this was from a skin test. Have u trired a skin test on your self just a blob of colour behind your ear if it becomes red or itchy then yes you may have a problem. Fingers crossed for you its a reaction to washing powder of something else entirely. Have you ever suffered hayfever because the symptoms you have described do present as that and Hayfeaver can present at any age Iv developed it a little and it as iv got older and have had sore eyes and been sneazing and had skin rashes now the weathers changed. I would see your doctor or failing that get some antihistamines I like Clarityn it stops my symptoms.

Yes, you can develop a reaction at any time even years after using the same products. That's why we perform a regular skin test with a tiny amount of tint to lessen the likelihood of a full scale reaction.

However, if you develop an allergy to a particular chemical, it's not uncommon for the eyes and face to swell before developing breathing problems etc. I became allergic to the acrylates used in acrylic and gel nails and had awful facial swelling despite the products only being applied to my nails (and not on the skin).

OP, try a skin test on your elbow with the tint brands you use and see what happens.

Do you keep your gloves on throughout the rinsing process?

If you are in the UK, you can ask your GP to refer you to a consultant dermatologist for skin testing if you think the products you use at work have caused the problem.

I hope you solve the problem quickly before it gets any worse.

Just thought id let you all know my skins still bad so went back to the doctors last week and he's referring me to a dermatologist. It looks like it's the colour as I got colour on my arm the other week it spread all up my arm and the markings of it are still there now. So upset :(

Sorry to hear that Mollie. :-(

Glad your GP has referred you for tests and hopefully, they will identify the irritants involved.

Sorry to hear that Mollie. :-(

Glad your GP has referred you for tests and hopefully, they will identify the irritants involved.

I hope so it's just such a pain. Been taking extra precautions too like doubling up on gloves wearing glasses to try create a barrier for my eyes but it's still the same.

It is so scary to think that we can develop an allergy over time to something we love :( I am becoming the same, if I apply a toner at basin (naughty and don't wear gloves, hate the feeling) if I accidentally don't wash of some residue on my hand within an hour I get all red and blotchy were it sat and my face also. :( and can no longer have permanent colours and definately not on scalp bleach ! I used bleach + 10vol on scalp for 15 mins and got blistering, all the same products I have previously used and all for on scalp app. And back in the day I used to use 30 vol for 50 mins with no worries :( Just lucky I lightner so easily guess!

It is so scary to think that we can develop an allergy over time to something we love :( I am becoming the same, if I apply a toner at basin (naughty and don't wear gloves, hate the feeling) if I accidentally don't wash of some residue on my hand within an hour I get all red and blotchy were it sat and my face also. :( and can no longer have permanent colours and definately not on scalp bleach ! I used bleach + 10vol on scalp for 15 mins and got blistering, all the same products I have previously used and all for on scalp app. And back in the day I used to use 30 vol for 50 mins with no worries :( Just lucky I lightner so easily guess!

It really is. It's worse today both my eyes are swollen can't see properly out the one and their both weeping really bad. It's making me feel utter crap in all honesty. Just need my letter for the dermatologist to come now. I hope you sort yours out before it gets this bad I know it's hard to wear gloves but I've had to double up on mine if it will help you it's worth it

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1400063437.747313.jpg this is one of my eyes... It's not right is it :/

Oh gosh, poor you. After 1.5 weeks get on the phone to the hospital and chase up your referral. If you explain your circumstances that should speed things up (I work for the NHS).

It really is. It's worse today both my eyes are swollen can't see properly out the one and their both weeping really bad. It's making me feel utter crap in all honesty. Just need my letter for the dermatologist to come now. I hope you sort yours out before it gets this bad I know it's hard to wear gloves but I've had to double up on mine if it will help you it's worth it

On wow that is so severe :( I will take extra precautions from now on, never really heard much about these kinda reactions until I started to notice different signs with me. I hope you get it all sorted x

On wow that is so severe :( I will take extra precautions from now on, never really heard much about these kinda reactions until I started to notice different signs with me. I hope you get it all sorted x

I didn't realise either I've been working with colours for 5 years and It's so scary how all of a sudden your body can just be like no not for me! Thing is the fumes from colours are airbourne and I think that's my problem cause I don't exactly paint my face with it. I hope you get yours sorted too! I'm sure you'll be fine though :)

Oh gosh, I'm SO sorry for you. Sending hugs.

In my first job I was working with a girl who suddenly developed an allergy to colours. It was pretty severe but she managed to carry on with extra long gloves and changing the positioning so she wasn't as close when she was colouring.
The good news though - as suddenly as it came, it also went away. Discovered after yours truly dropped a mix that splattered EVERYWHERE. I felt so guilty as it was all over her and I was sure I'd basically killed her, but she was fine and was actually weirdly grateful as she'd never have known she was better! x

Hi guys so you all know my situation. It's now got worse. Luckily I'm seeing a dermatologist Monday finally! But basically I had to have two weeks off sick because my eyes had swollen up and my face was red itchy flaky and blotchy as I said before. I went back into work last week for three days and half hour into my first working day my face was so tight and itchy again. Thursday comes and my eyes are swollen again (see pic). I'm really worried now about how this is going to affect my career as a hairdresser I've recently just qualified after so many years of hard work and I'm devasted. Any ideas on it at all? Do you think I'll be advised to quit. ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402442277.824667.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1402442301.805187.jpg. I apologise for the sight

Awww poor you, that must terrible for you. I don't think you'll have a choice to be honest. If it is the colour causing this reaction I fear you may be forced to look for a new career.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back