Allergic reaction .

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missy G

Reaction score
Hi,just wanted to know if anybody else on here has had an alergic reaction to their monomer on their fingers at all?:confused:

Every time I do a set of nails,my fingers..espically the two that I hold the brush with, later on in the day start to get sore and itch like mad..then the skin goes really dry, and can still carry on itching.

Its been going on for a couple of months now , Im only assuming its the monomer, but cant understand how its getting on my fingers, unless its coming through the brush.:rolleyes:

I have put tape on my brush,my fingers are still irratating me, have tried latex and vinyl gloves, still no joy any ideas please??I have been using Lotil cream for the dryness,(its a cream for dermatitus),but it only temporary cures it.

I know you ll all probly tell me to go to the doctors,but I just dont want to be in the position where I might have to convert back to gel , because of this b***** irratation.:irked:

I suffer from this also, for me it was brush contact on my fingers. Is it on your hand that you hold the brush or on your holding hand? for me it was on my holding hand I had to rearrange how I held the clients hand so that the brush did not come in contact with my fingers. if it's on your brush hand...are you allowing monomer to have contact with your brush handle?? try putting less liquid in your dappen dish so that when you dip your brush into it the monomer it can't flow up the handle.

hth :)

another idea is one of those cute pen cushion holders.. just slip it over your brush and it should stop any monomer getting on your brush.. does your brush have a cover? the cover can slide monomer up the handle.. dont use one if you do.. keep your work clean.,. tape your fingers.. not the brush, but use a non iritant tape.. like the coloured one your supplier should store.
its about making less mess with the product.. latex gloves can also irritate so try cotton ones under the latex ones..
good luck.

I have severe reactions to acrylic, itchy, blisters,peeling and then very dry, but since using popits I have had no reaction, so my thinking is that is is the filing dust, with popits there is no filing or such a minute of it, and if I do the slightest bit of filing with popits I then wash my hands imediatley, so far for a month now I have been clear, but like I said file and wash.

ETHYL METHACRYLATE

Seems like dermatitis and skin sensitization can be side-effects of ethyl methacrylate monomer - have you considered a barrier cream for your hands when doing l&p?

Thanks for your replies all, I think im going to try a combination of a few of your ideas,I have brought some thicker latex gloves,my mum has given me some medicated talc to also apply to my hands,think I will use less monomer in my monomer jar each time, and I think I will try and get used to washing my hands after Ive applied the acrylic and when Ive finished filing , see if that works ah:rolleyes:.

Omg thats going to add on another 20 minutes , to my 3 hours it takes me to do a set now,I thought it was just the clients hands I had to prep,now it will be mine too..:irked: Its so dissapointing when its taken me so long to find a product I like , and now I have to put up with this.

Thanks for your replies all, I think im going to try a combination of a few of your ideas,I have brought some thicker latex gloves,my mum has given me some medicated talc to also apply to my hands,think I will use less monomer in my monomer jar each time, and I think I will try and get used to washing my hands after Ive applied the acrylic and when Ive finished filing , see if that works ah:rolleyes:.

Omg thats going to add on another 20 minutes , to my 3 hours it takes me to do a set now,I thought it was just the clients hands I had to prep,now it will be mine too..:irked: Its so dissapointing when its taken me so long to find a product I like , and now I have to put up with this.

i would seriously consider the white cotton gloves under the latex, they stop sweating and also make it very comfy.. latex can cause probs on sensitive hands... so i have heard.
less monomer is a great idea, i only ever use less then i need, cause i can always top up but its annoying when you have to waste it..
dont loose heart, if you protect your hands, and work cleaner you wont add anytime at all.. infact you will be able to do more nails so your time will come down..
my time is the least of my worries.. people come to me regardless if im having a bad day and take 2 and a half hours.. make the time they spend with you informative and enjoying and they will be happy no matter how long your taking.. before you know it they are commenting on how much quicker you are doing them..
geeg's tip on wiping your brush on your scrubfresh pad is a great one for controling where your monomer is going and less mess is always a good thing.. xx keep going you will find the answer.

Ok ,Im going to have a look on ebay now see if I can get myself some white gloves,I also think I will try and get into the habit of wiping my brush down regularly too.

Like you say its just a case of trying to work cleaner , and then may be Ill crack the problem.

Hello, sorry to hear about your hands. I have the same problem I would just cry myself to sleep. all almost stop doing nails.My husband also made to stop my hands looked so bad. You need to wear nitrile gloves,keep your table dust free I have a sunflower dust collect and it helps to keep the dust off my hand alot I also wear a long sleeve shirt so the dust does not get on my arms. I dust my hand off alot and I control my product better. and wash your hand with cold water not hot

they sell them in local supermarkets here..in the glove section.. they are just cotton and really thin. have a look next time you are shopping.. lots of people are allergic to gloves so they stock them for the use under.. really cheap and you get about 4 pairs that are washable.. hth

Hello, sorry to hear about your hands. I have the same problem I would just cry myself to sleep.

Your telling me , the itching is driving me nuts , espically when you get in to bed , thats when it starts.

I am mobile,and just normally work at the clients dining table, so I dont have a dust extracter,I also wear my tunic which is short sleeved,so theres no helping there.

I have just ordered some cotton gloves, so when I get them Ill give them a try under the latex ones.xx

Latest posts

Back