Allergies to nail products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChicMich

Reaction score
I just want a bit of advice. I recently had patch test done and the results were bad as it shows I have allergies to ingredient in nail products and removers.
As a therapist would you cut out nails all together or wear clothes? Just want to see what you geeks think as it's really upset me that it might affect me that bad I have to stop doing the job I love :(
Xx

Hi chicmich
Do you know which ingredient you are allergic to. Maybe you could have a look at the data sheets and see if there's other brands you can use xx

I just want a bit of advice. I recently had patch test done and the results were bad as it shows I have allergies to ingredient in nail products and removers.
As a therapist would you cut out nails all together or wear clothes? Just want to see what you geeks think as it's really upset me that it might affect me that bad I have to stop doing the job I love :(
Xx

Who did your patch test? And which ingredients did it show you were allergic to?
Was the patch test done by a qualified Dr using a different patch for each chemical or did you slap some product on your skin and wait to see what would happen.

Nail products are not meant to touch our skin. I would guess that anyone doing their own patch test with unreacted monomer would have their skin turn red if left on it for hours. That is not a true patch test nor how a patch test should be done.

If you avoid skin contact with your nail products, you won't become allergic to them.

If you are sloppy with your brush work, hold your brush too low down on the ferrule and have your fingers in contact with the monomer; use your fingers to shape the point of your brush after cleaning it,; lean your wrist on the patch of paper towel where you wipe your brush THAT is SKIN contact!! No need for confessions just THINK about it!!

No skin contact.

Thanks girls.

It was at at the skin clinic in dermatology. I've had this done 4 years ago and nothing showed. Now I can't have or do acrylic or gels. CND shellac is ok it's all the other products, acetone, nail wipe, manicure cream, anything with 2 ingredients found in nail enchantments. And fragrance limonene and linalool. These are found in every cosmetic products on the market professional as well so I can't do pedicures facials ect as it's not just nails it's every aspect of my job including pre blended oils.

The eczema has been on ma hands badly since around March time and since then has spread to my wrist and concerns my both hands.

Is is worth being in pain and sore or wear gloves and grin and bear it?

X

Hi chicmich
Do you know which ingredient you are allergic to. Maybe you could have a look at the data sheets and see if there's other brands you can use xx

Data sheet? Xx

Thanks girls.

It was at at the skin clinic in dermatology. I've had this done 4 years ago and nothing showed. Now I can't have or do acrylic or gels. CND shellac is ok it's all the other products, acetone, nail wipe, manicure cream, anything with 2 ingredients found in nail enchantments. And fragrance limonene and linalool. These are found in every cosmetic products on the market professional as well so I can't do pedicures facials ect as it's not just nails it's every aspect of my job including pre blended oils.

The eczema has been on ma hands badly since around March time and since then has spread to my wrist and concerns my both hands.

Is is worth being in pain and sore or wear gloves and grin and bear it?

X

My mam (a hairdresser) has had the exact same problem, she's also allergic to linalool and colourants (ones beginning C1....) she can't wear makeup and struggles so much at work. The doctors advised her to give up her job but with two salons and having worked as a hairdresser all her life she feels like she has no other option.

For the eczema she's found that simple (the brand, I hope you're in the uk because I don't know whether it's sold anywhere else) have a "derma care" cream that she's not allergic to that helps a little.

The problem is the more you come into contact with the things you're allergic to the more of a reaction your skin will have. Mam just used to look flushed but now she wears makeup and comes out with rashes and her eyes stream! If you can get away with wearing gloves I'd do it, you don't want this to get any worse xx

I really feel for you. I'm allergic to both substances too and know how difficult it is. I've had to change everything around me.
I can recommend Dr Bronners soap ; Green Tea or the one for babies are fine to use.
There's also a shower gel called Sanex 0% which is good.
I use Jane Iredale make up (purepressed powder).

I also have a list of emollients that a pharmacist wrote out for me which I'll try and find for you. One of the cheaper ones is Oilatum cream.

When I have a bad reaction I am prescribed Fexofenadine - anti histamines the size of horse tablets!

Drinking nettle tea and Q10 supplement is also supposed to be good for allergies.

I can't tell you what to do but I really do empathise. My allergy causes eczema on my face and I end up hibernating until it calms down!

HTH

Edit: I forgot! Bobbi Brown BB Cream with SPF 35 is limonene and linalool free, too!

Last edited:
I feel for you. I, too, have been dealing with some allergic reactions. Mostly to gel dust which I've now counteracted with gloves and a dust extractor. If you love doing nails, test out wearing gloves, mask etc and see how it goes.

I don't ever let uncured product touch my skin, the dust is simply enough to swell my hands up badly. Feeling a lot better now though with gloves/extractor.

Hope you figure out a solution!

Once you develop an allergy to specific chemicals, it is irreversible. What is worse is that it can make you more sensitive to other chemicals. So while perhaps changing nail product brand can be a temporary solution, it is unlikely to be a permanent solution.

At the minimum nail techs need to wear nitrile gloves. But this only protects your hands and doesn't protect other exposed areas of your body, or your lungs, to the dust and chemicals in the air.

It's a myth that dust-catchers or face masks are useful. These only catch the visible dust particles most of which would be caught in your nose anyway. It's the invisible dust and chemical vapours that cause health problems.

The only solution to this is :
a) fixed ventilation system that extracts air from the working area to the outside
or
b) a 3-stage professional filter system that cleans and recycles the air in the salon. A good quality system will have several kg of active carbon filter - this is the part that removes the chemicals and it has to be big (the unit we use has 5.8kg).

Neither solution is cheap. But if the problem is ignored then eventually people become too ill to work in a nail salon and have to look for a new career.

Aw thank you for all the advice I really appreiate it. Unfortunately since I've wrote my last reply I've had 2 allergic reactions which caused my face to swell. Due to a cocktail I had and after getting eyelashes on myself. I don't understand the eyelashes as I have had them done loads of times.

I don't just do nail I'm a fully qualified beauty therapist so I have options if I have to leave nails. I won't ever do nail enchantments unless like CND shellac but think that is highly unlikely to be possible. I'm back at the hospital in 4 weeks for more patch test for more specific materials ie gloves oils things like that.

The gloves are helping but I have found products that even with doing nails with nitrile gloves my hands are getting slot better! So fingers crossed that we can find out if there is more materials that might affect my job if it does I just can't bare not doing what I love and live for! Xxx

So sorry to hear this!

I have allergies to any gel that isn't cnd. I don't think my hands would be happy if I did acrylics day in day out.

Nails is such a fun and enjoyable part of the range of services that can be offered but if it could no longer be done I would focus on everything else I could do.

When doing my nvq3 in nail services I had to go to a and e with an allergy because my neck started to swell. I was devasted so I've got total empathy for you. I was lucky to be able to find products that made it possible for me but I understand that sometimes you just have to avoid using something and there's not a lot you can do about it no matter how many gloves, antihistamines and masks are involved.

I reckon that the products we use will develop a lot in the next few decades because in terms of allergies, a fair few of them still leave a lot to be desired.

Latest posts

Back