Allergy to nail products, help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ann@vipnails

Reaction score
Morning

I was a nail technician for years then stopped. I have started again and my hand is reacting to products very sensitive and necomes itchy and red..... I am wearing gloves any suggestions or anyone else had this ? Many thanks ann

Hi Ann,
Allergies to nail products are increasing year on year. It is thought by scientists and the British Association of Dermatology, that the main cause is under-cured gel dust from using a UV lamp that is not matched to the gel used. Using an incorrect mix-ratio can also cause under-cured acrylic dust when using L&P.

Gloves offer only limited protection, so double gloving is recommended.

The first step is to visit your GP and get a referral to a dermatologist who will test you for sensitivity to different ingredients used in nail products. It would be helpful to take the SDS of the products you use, so they can test for these. They will then provide you with a list of ingredients to avoid and probably encourage you to use a cortisone cream to help the sensitive areas.

Once you have the list of ingredients to avoid, you can look for products that don't contain these. But just changing to new products is not the complete solution. You need to understand that once an allergy has developed (and usually there are warnings for weeks/months), that it is much easier to develop allergic reactions to other chemicals.

It is important to understand that an allergy is for life. If you try to use the original products in 5 years, you will develop a reaction again.

Also, as acrylates are used in dentistry and some surgical procedures, this may cause problems later.

So when a NT discovers they have an allergy, in addition to finding new products they MUST change their behaviour. Allergies only occur due to over exposure of uncured or under-cured product through skin contact or inhalation. So finding ways to avoid this contact is really important.

Double-gloving, using a skin barrier cream on arms and hands, use of a professional air filter system for both dust and chemical vapours (needs minimum 1kg of carbon filter), and wearing cloths to avoid dust landing on the skin - are the basic essentials.

I know good air filter systems are "expensive", but not as emotionally or financially expensive as when a NT finds they can no longer work with nail products.

Good luck!

Hiya,

Might sound silly but would it possible to have an allergic reaction from the gloves themselves?
Just a thought :)

How about trying The Gloves In A Can (not sure if that’s the correct name) I saw it being advertised on This Morning lol with Dr Chris, he was saying it’s fab and beneficial for therapists, nurses etc, might be worth a try
Good luck either way x

Probably Gloves in a Bottle. You can get at Superdrug. Very effective barrier cream, but does not replace gloves.

Probably Gloves in a Bottle. You can get at Superdrug. Very effective barrier cream, but does not replace gloves.

That’s it gloves in a bottle lol not in a can, you can count on me to get the name wrong [emoji85][emoji23]

Latest posts

Back