Am I being greedy now?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashell

Reaction score
hi, i have been doing shellac now for around 8 weeks and my client base is growing so much, it is fantastic and i have my ladies who come back regular (bonus) thing is i work in a beauty salon self employed 3 days per week and extra days for shellac if i need to,(baby sitter depending)
i dont rent the room (not allowed) and the salon owner buys all beauty stock(very basic minimal things) then i get 50% bk from what i have earned every month, however i paid for all of my shellac, to get me up and running and this is seperate, we agreed that £5 out of £20 from every set i did would go the salon owner, however because i charge £5 more for french and rock star shellac she now seams to think that we agreed 25%!!!! would go to her (news to me) and now im thinking that she is makng a lot of money off me as 50% from all beauty treatments pluss £5 for every set of shellac nails done (average between 4 and 7 over my 3 days) and growing,,
so would it b bad of me to tell her i am happy to do this but want to put a maximum amount to pay her from shellac per day as otherwise it would benefit me more to go else where and rent my own room??:eek: x

i think you deffinatly need to talk to her so that the confusion about what your paying and what she is expecting is cleared up. When you agreed on the original amount did you get it in writing?

i think you deffinatly need to talk to her so that the confusion about what your paying and what she is expecting is cleared up. When you agreed on the original amount did you get it in writing?

hi,

no i didnt, it seams to b swings and round abouts in this salon from what i have scene and it definatley only benefits 1 person,
we all have contracts to which the salon owner changes very regulr to suit but when it is the other way around we MUST!! do exactally as our contract orders, i love the girls i work with/worked with as they all seam to leave but i realy think i need to find another place to work from, probably rent my own space x

It does seem like the salon owner is only in it for what she can get. And changing the contract all the time seems a bit wierd to me. I understand changing the percentage after the nail tech has been there for a certain amount of time and the circumstances change etc but not constantly.

And like you said there does seem to be a pattern with girls leaving? Am i right to assume that most of them leaving was because they werent happy?
I think if it was me i would consider leaving before you get to settled there with your clients etc. Dont stay there if your not happy, Do you have a large enough clientele to be able to comfortable move where you work from and have enough clients to cover your rent costs etc?

It does seem like the salon owner is only in it for what she can get. And changing the contract all the time seems a bit wierd to me. I understand changing the percentage after the nail tech has been there for a certain amount of time and the circumstances change etc but not constantly.

And like you said there does seem to be a pattern with girls leaving? Am i right to assume that most of them leaving was because they werent happy?
I think if it was me i would consider leaving before you get to settled there with your clients etc. Dont stay there if your not happy, Do you have a large enough clientele to be able to comfortable move where you work from and have enough clients to cover your rent costs etc?

yes the girls all leave because there not happy, and even before i started there bk in september i have heard lots of tails of other girls leaving.
actually yes i think i would manage ok with my clients, aslong as i had a reasonable rate to pay on a room, i would only realistically need just 1 to 2 shellacs per day, not to mention what i would make from the other treatments x

In that case, i say go for it hun! Look around for places that will be in a good location and places you will be able to afford. Good luck :)
I think it will help you alot to be able to do it yourself insted of having to be unhappy in a place. It will reflect on your work too.

I hope you can find somewhere you like :)

In that case, i say go for it hun! Look around for places that will be in a good location and places you will be able to afford. Good luck :)
I think it will help you alot to be able to do it yourself insted of having to be unhappy in a place. It will reflect on your work too.

I hope you can find somewhere you like :)

thanx hun:hug: i think i will xx

Hi :)

Are you in control of your takings or does the owner pay you your percentage at regular intervals?
It sounds to me that she is almost paying you a 'wage'....
I've rented a chair in a salon and from my experience of renting (or being self-employed within a salon) it very rarely works as it is so difficult for salon owners to accept that the renter is not employed staff and can come and go as they please..and the renter always feels restricted.
I personally would hate having self employed people in my salon if I had one as I wouldn't feel in control.
I hope you can find some way of resolving things as you seem to have built up a large clientele for yourself!!
Good luck :). Xxxx

Hi :)

Are you in control of your takings or does the owner pay you your percentage at regular intervals?
It sounds to me that she is almost paying you a 'wage'....
I've rented a chair in a salon and from my experience of renting (or being self-employed within a salon) it very rarely works as it is so difficult for salon owners to accept that the renter is not employed staff and can come and go as they please..and the renter always feels restricted.
I personally would hate having self employed people in my salon if I had one as I wouldn't feel in control.
I hope you can find some way of resolving things as you seem to have built up a large clientele for yourself!!
Good luck :). Xxxx

hi, everything goes through the till then at the begening of every month i get my percentage back for the month just worked,
the salon owner seams happy for me to come and go as i please (her words) but i do have my set days and dont wander in and out all day incase of passing trade.
i love my job and every thing i do but the situation is just not the best to be honest, i will keep a look out and see what comes up :).

thanx every1 for your replys:hug:

To be honest firstly I just wanted to say that as a salon owner I think that 50% is a really good deal if you don't need to pay for anything yourself. However I don't understand why you would give her extra for shellac tments?
If you provide the products then why should she get extra.
Also why couldn't she just provide you with these products if she has a problem with it.

To be honest firstly I just wanted to say that as a salon owner I think that 50% is a really good deal if you don't need to pay for anything yourself. However I don't understand why you would give her extra for shellac tments?
If you provide the products then why should she get extra.
Also why couldn't she just provide you with these products if she has a problem with it.
I agree, that 50:50 is not a bad deal at all when you are paying no rent. If you rented your own place, and paid the rent and utilities and stock, you would fare no better in my opinion, money wise. You would however be able to operate under your own banner with your own rules.

The financial arrangement (?) between the two of you at the moment seems rather haphazard which is what is causing the problems ... Things are not clear. A 50:50 deal is just that ... On all monies taken ... There should be no room for the owner to see you doing well and then to decide to up the anti as and when she pleases on a separate service. That is nonsense.

hi ,

yes i agree that 50/50 is a great deal, that way if i dont earn any money i am not still having to pay rent, so thats great,
however the salon owner wont buy any new/upto date products and this is not because she cant it is completley because she does not like to spend unnessasary money (her words) i told her all about shellac and how amazing the product was and she still said no, we r fine how we r,
so i decided to go and buy it any way and said i would do this mobile OR in the salon, and she said yea great, and then replied that i must give her 50% off all of my takings:eek:, (as she is having to pay for the heating and electric in the salon,, i said that she would be paying for that regardless of me been here or not).now after just spending what i had spent and our conversation prior to this i told her that no way could or would i agree to this, well ofcourse she took the hump, then realised how busy i was (also this would attract a new client base to the salon which could potentially become hair clients too) getting mobile and wanted to talk,so i said that i would pay a maximum of £5 per set to her as it saves me driving around/using desil etc,,,,
she wasnt the happiest but agreed, and i though well this way i can do more clients as not having to travel, pluss advertise in the shop,great! also the hairdressing girls in the salon are great at getting my new clients and advertising my shellac,
but now for some reason she has it that 25% goes to her so if i make extra on doing a freanch shellac and nail art etc,,she is ending up with £7.50+ per set and not £5 as agreed:rolleyes:.
so my issue is not the 50/50% but the extra £31.25 she wanted for 5 sets of shellac i did the other day!!!
for this price i could rent my own room, but yes i agree then i have a lot more to pay for which i dont really want for the moment untill i realy am flat out busy, but i just feel that this is a little unfare on the same hand,,
am i been unreasonable????????:confused:
xx

hi ,

yes i agree that 50/50 is a great deal, that way if i dont earn any money i am not still having to pay rent, so thats great,
however the salon owner wont buy any new/upto date products and this is not because she cant it is completley because she does not like to spend unnessasary money (her words) i told her all about shellac and how amazing the product was and she still said no, we r fine how we r,
so i decided to go and buy it any way and said i would do this mobile OR in the salon, and she said yea great, and then replied that i must give her 50% off all of my takings:eek:, (as she is having to pay for the heating and electric in the salon,, i said that she would be paying for that regardless of me been here or not).now after just spending what i had spent and our conversation prior to this i told her that no way could or would i agree to this, well ofcourse she took the hump, then realised how busy i was (also this would attract a new client base to the salon which could potentially become hair clients too) getting mobile and wanted to talk,so i said that i would pay a maximum of £5 per set to her as it saves me driving around/using desil etc,,,,
she wasnt the happiest but agreed, and i though well this way i can do more clients as not having to travel, pluss advertise in the shop,great! also the hairdressing girls in the salon are great at getting my new clients and advertising my shellac,
but now for some reason she has it that 25% goes to her so if i make extra on doing a freanch shellac and nail art etc,,she is ending up with £7.50+ per set and not £5 as agreed:rolleyes:.
so my issue is not the 50/50% but the extra £31.25 she wanted for 5 sets of shellac i did the other day!!!
for this price i could rent my own room, but yes i agree then i have a lot more to pay for which i dont really want for the moment untill i realy am flat out busy, but i just feel that this is a little unfare on the same hand,,
am i been unreasonable????????:confused:
xx

Well it is unfair and if you had a separate agreement for Shellac, then remember ... ALWAYS GET ANY AGREEMENT IN WRITING ... A verbal agreement is binding, but there is no proof! Stick to your guns! And by the way, you should get you money WEEKLY, Not monthly. Best get this sorted today in writing.

I agree, writing is the best way. Good luck!

I work 2 days in a salon, I supply all my own products, and my boss has 25% of what I earn, I thought this was fair! Is it or is't it?

Kate this sounds like a good deal! id stick with it! im not sure on the 50/50 deal though, who is actually doing the days graft? the salon owner or the therapist, i feel 60/40 in favor of the therapist should be the very minimum!

Latest posts

Back