Am I being too strict?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate1982

Reaction score
Please help.....
I have recently taken over a hair and beauty salon and I have spent a hell of a lot of money in it making it look more modern. I have kept the staff that were originally there.

The staff are decent hairdressers but not very professional but I thought that by giving them a nice environment to work in and with some guidance that they would all come around.

Well basically I feel like I'm being slapped in the face. They just complain and I'm feeling like I am asking for too much??

My girls are mainly self employed so I understand there is a limit to what I can dictate however it is my money and my butt on the line if this goes belly up so I don't think it is too much to ask for them to go above and beyond when it comes to client care.

For example I have a girl who I have told countless times to tie her hair up and sew up a split in her uniform. She just doesn't take me seriously and ignores me. She comes in wearing her uniform she used to wear in college but I want everyone in the same uniform.
Also when I am not there they just take the P**s. Sitting around and talking amoungst themselves. Is it too much to expect people that work in your salon to be properly presented and polite to clients.

My salon rules are:
No eating or drinking on the shop floor or in treatment rooms
Beauty therapists must have their hair tied back neatly at all times, and the only jewelery to be worn are small earings.
Stylists must look smart and presentable at all times. Hair may be worn down but must be styled. Jewelery maybe worn as long as it doesn't interfer with your work.
If you go out to smoke you must use body spray after and something to freshen your breath.
Personal belongings must be kept out of the way and the salon will not be held reponsable for anything missing.
Mobile phones must be on silent and not on show.
Mobile phones must not be used in front of clients.
Therapists/stylists are permitted to do treatments on each other for free if you do not have a client in or if it is your day off.
If you book time out to have your treatments then you will need to pay 50% of the treatment fee to cover the time and this time maybe canceled out if we need it for a client.

Honestly am I being too strict. I have mainly worked in health spas and hotels where the salons are kept to a very high standard. Our supervisors would kill us if we had done even half of what I let my girls do. But when you are working within a team of over 100 therapists you are a lot more disposable. Am I wrong to expect a similar standard from a town salon.

I know it's my salon and I should be able to expect what ever I want but if you think I'm being unreasonable please let me know?
Sorry to rant on but it's driving me mad. I try and talk to my girls but they just ignore me and do whatever the hell they want and then just bitch about me. Which I wouldn't mind them bitching if they were actually doing what I was asking. :grr:

I cant really help other than to say that i dont think you are being too strict at all. I would find it very hard not to give them a huge piece of my mind and would intend to scare the living daylights out of the little s**ts....and that is why I do not run a salon :wink2:

My goodness, I wish you lots of luck in dealing with this! :hug:

Please help.....

My girls are mainly self employed so I understand there is a limit to what I can dictate however it is my money and my butt on the line if this goes belly up so I don't think it is too much to ask for them to go above and beyond when it comes to client care.

I try and talk to my girls but they just ignore me and do whatever the hell they want and then just bitch about me. Which I wouldn't mind them bitching if they were actually doing what I was asking. :grr:

Hi Kate

Sorry to hear your having so many problems and you would think having a lovely environment to work in would make things easier, especially with so many looking for work.

However, the problem (IMO) is, that as you say, they are mostly self-employed and you really do not have much say in how they wish to run their own business. You even say you try to talk to your girls, implying they work for you!

You should be able to ask for some ground rules to be followed but setting a list has probably got their backs up.

Have you had an informal meeting with them at any stage? Perhaps that could be the way forward. Suggest all going out, away from the salon. Ask them for ideas to help the clients appreciate a better environment (since you have spent so much money). Try to encourage them to work as a team even though you appreciate they are running their own business.

You would like to think that they have set standards for themselves but not all people feel/work the same.

If they are self-employed are they under any kind of contract. Depending on your answer, I would say that if things don't improve. Perhaps it's time for new self-employed professionals.

Good luck

Hi I don't think you are being unreasonable, our staff need to be presentable, phones must be on silent or off and left in staff room at all times, food and drink only to be consumed in the staff room, we don't have a uniform yet but do insist all staff wear black, white or grey. People need to be able to express their own personality I think, but that is only my opinion, your staff are self employed so any clients they miss they lose out on, I would send them home to sort themselves out if you are able to transfer client to someone else or yourself, if that doesn't work replace the worst one with someone else, that'd put the frighteners on the rest :) now is that me being too harsh!? We let our staff have one free treatment per month, this seems to keep them happy and presentable.

HTHs

Sorry Id just replied to this but ive deleted it as it didnt read how i meant it :rolleyes:

All i wanted to say was that i dont think your being too strict,I think the rules youve put in place are simple things that any therapist/stylist etc should follow in order to be professional, as already said as they do not work for you i expect this is where the problem lies but even so i would have thought they would want to act appropriately for themselves I know I would.

Hope you get it sorted :hug:

you sound really professional and if i were i would tell the girl with ripped uniform that if she comes wearing it again you will send her home !

I think you should tell them your way or the highway you want a reputation for been the best salon around not the one where the slobs go !!

if your staff are sloppy so will your customers be :)

Try looking at it from a different view. What image do you think you salon gives with the therapist in an unsightly uniform? What would you think if you went into a salon and they were all sat down chatting and playing on mobiles? I wouldn't be impressed.
It is your salon and your image. Yes they are self employed but simple rules need to be set as some people just do not grasp the basics.
Have a group meeting where everyone discusses the 'rules' giving chance to voice their opinions.
At the end of the day this is an image based industry and if they don't like it, they do have a choice not to work there.

I think your rules are fine !!! At the end of the day it is your salon.

And your rules of treatments are really fair.

Have you told them quite firmly what the rules are? Maybe you could have a staff meeting ??

Just a quick question about the therapists jewellery about only wearing earrings, if they have rings on they may not be able to take them off I'm 20 and have worn my engagement ring for 4 years and It literally won't come off so maybe that could be a reason

But no your being totally fair just stick to your rules and dont let them push you about x

Thanks for your replys.
I really am pulling my hair out. I caught one of the girls leaving the salon tnite without cleaning up after herself. I mean dirty towels left over chairs, Tubes of tint left with caps off. Tint bowls not washed out, dirty cups on the styling stations where the client had left it. I asked her to clean up before she goes and she said "Isn't it enough that I stay late and work. I do enough in this salon."
She is self employed and was doing her own clients. She was the only stylist working tnite so not as if I was asking her to clean up someone elses mess!!
Lord give me strength.
As for how I have tried to talk to them. I had a group meeting where we all agreed on what we thought acceptable behaviour was in the salon. That is where the rules came from!
Once the standards started slipping I have had an informal chat with them all to see if maybe they weren't happy for some reason. Their were a few gripes but nothing really.
They are all under contracts and have all agreed to the rules in the salon.
Yes they are self employed which means that can choose when they work etc but you are allowed to set a simple code of conduct in your salon.
They conduct their businesses in my salon and whether the clients realise that or not it's still me the clients come to if they are not happy about something.

Carla Miller I completely agree. That is why I am so frustrated.

Cesalon I think we have the same idea. There is one girl that is employed and to be honest too big for her own boots. I have tried everything I can think of to get through to them that I am serious. It maybe time to just show them I'm not all bark....

Hiya, i dont no the exact rules because they are self employed but couldnt you print all the rules out or put them in a booklet and them get them to sign it saying they agree to these rules. like a employee handbook?

Then when they break one of the rules remind them they signed to say they would abide by these rules and if they dont they will have to leave? and go down a disaplinary route?

Like i said not sure of the rules with them being self employment. But u should definalty put your foot down...if they dont like it they can leave :)

hope this makes sense xx

That's just not on. If she's self employed why does she think she's doing enough in the salon, surely that's her own client not the salons. I seriously think you have got to start how you mean to carry on. I would let her go. Maybe you could have taken some photos as evidence of her mess and used this if necessary to show any others, that you won't put up with it.

Would they really behave like this if it was their salon!

Time to set some examples that they can't get away with it.

Big hug

Sent from my HTC Desire

Totally agree with taggyboy! If you let her go im sure the others will sort their acts out if they want to keep their jobs xx

I'm surprised that as they are self employed, they don't care about how much theie attitude and appearance reflects on their business.

Surely if there is a stipulation in their contract thay says they must present the salon in a good light, remain presentable in order to protect the salon as a whole and clean up after themselves then you can proceed to give warnings or if you wish, notice of eviction? Maybe one letter warning you are considering it would be enough!

If it is stipulated in their rental contract that they must follow the basic rules of the salon, and have SIGNED to say they have been given a copy of the rules, then you need to start enforcing them.

As you have said, it is now your salon. They are behaving as though they have no respect for you. Time to kick ass. Learn to be assertive. Start sending people home.
Give one warning then terminate their rental. Chances are you will only have to do it once.

If you don't want to do that, then accept that these girls are gonna run you ragged, and tell YOU what to do. Think about it xx

First things first kate....massive bigs hugs!!:hug:

Ive encountered a couple of "these" in the past, they tend to be destructive to your business. Honestly i would cut them all to let them know you mean buisness. In fact i wouldnt tolerate it, at all. Simply let them know, you have more people in for trade tests and that you wish to move the salon into a diffferent view point and that you can understand why the previous owner had wanted to spilt (regardless if its true).

I do sympathise with you and do understand how difficult it can be with self empolyed workers, but do not think you deserve to be called names behind your back to take the mick or that you're self doubting yourself. You are by no means strict, (im far more stricter but it works in my favour)

Think that if you actually empoyed the workers or switched contract or added clothing and other amenties included within the contract so that you can protect your image. Ie buy salon uniform/logo it and then ask for them to wear it, or that you will provide a plain uniform, if they leave then you are reimbursed that uniform etc. Make a clause of unreasonable conduct, ie no clean stations or mess will result in the lines of a warning or gross misconduct of the original agreement. I do feel that you can have a healthy working environment without these measures but i thinks they are so clique and so resistant to change that i find it highly unlikey if they do. Good luck and stay strong!:hug: xoxo

Thanks for your replies. Really appreciate it.
To the people that have said send them home if they are not to standard. How do you find the clients feel about it. Obviously if the other stylists are fully booked do you cancel the clients?
They are after all their clients?

Personally i would say, take your clients and go.....basically its running on deaf ears, your modernising the salon blah blah. You dont thinks its working, too much of a clash of the direction that its going to. Also at that point draw up paperwork for those that are willing to stay, under new guidleines or goodbye. I think its worth the risk than toxic ppl like this. You gota remember its your salon and your image/vision, if they dont get it now, they wont get it later, simples! Take the risk of making it "yours again" and say how much better the salon will be. xoxo

I feel for you Kate, I really do, what a horror to have to face on a daily basis and as if you don't have enough to do and worry about!

I have had salons before and I am really not the confrontational type but there comes a point when it has to be no more Mr nice guy!!

My advice would be this:

Arrange a meeting which EVERYONE has to attend, tell them that it is only going to take 10 mins so you don't get any moans about taking up time etc.

Calmly and in a non aggressive way state that you now own and are running the salon and have tried to get across to the therapists/hairdressers how you expect things to be done. It is obvious, however that this isn't working.

What you are going to do is give each person a handbook explaining exactly how things are going to be done in the salon from now on which you would like them to go home and read thoroughly. Over the next week you will have separate 5 min meetings with each of them to find out if these are conditions in which they are happy to work under. If so, there contract can be renewed, if not they will be terminated as soon as legally possible.
If they agree then renegue then they will recieve a warning followed by termination.

Make the handbook as detailed as possible so there can be no misinterpretation.

I think you need to "clear the air" and show em who owns the business. It takes a lot of balls to run a business and you shouldnt be treated like this.

Let us know how you get on!! xx

Give them one more chance and if not look for new staff. There are so many people looking for work.
However, I really struggle to understand their behaviour! If I was self-employed I would try to work ever harder/do anything it takes, as I would working for myself.
Their attitude is so bad, look for new staff, you do not need these problems. I wish you good luck and lots of strenght to deal with this.

Have you ever seen "tabatha's salon takeover"?
If not watch it! Google to find times or maybe find it and watch on the net x

It's amazing how she turns a salon around (even with stubborn employee's who I think personally I would of just sacked!) she really is strict/scary! But what she says is the truth!!
Really is worth watching for idea's on how to crack the whip! You often see the employee's being grateful that their employer is taking charge!

Personally I think they are adults and shouldn't need reminding of how to be professional ect but hey ho!

Take a look I hope it helps :) x

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back