Am I being too strict?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel for you Kate, I really do, what a horror to have to face on a daily basis and as if you don't have enough to do and worry about!

I have had salons before and I am really not the confrontational type but there comes a point when it has to be no more Mr nice guy!!

My advice would be this:

Arrange a meeting which EVERYONE has to attend, tell them that it is only going to take 10 mins so you don't get any moans about taking up time etc.

Calmly and in a non aggressive way state that you now own and are running the salon and have tried to get across to the therapists/hairdressers how you expect things to be done. It is obvious, however that this isn't working.

What you are going to do is give each person a handbook explaining exactly how things are going to be done in the salon from now on which you would like them to go home and read thoroughly. Over the next week you will have separate 5 min meetings with each of them to find out if these are conditions in which they are happy to work under. If so, there contract can be renewed, if not they will be terminated as soon as legally possible.
If they agree then renegue then they will recieve a warning followed by termination.

Make the handbook as detailed as possible so there can be no misinterpretation.

I think you need to "clear the air" and show em who owns the business. It takes a lot of balls to run a business and you shouldnt be treated like this.

Let us know how you get on!! xx

My thoughts exactly.

If they are self employed, do they provide all their own items - capes, towels, brushes etc? If they don't want to clean up after themselves, if they own the stuff, just toss it out. I have a rule in my house, if I have to pick it up, it goes in the bin. I'd be doing the same to any of their stuff. If you don't look after it obviously you don't want or need it.

Tell them that when they fork out the money to buy their own salon they can be as grotty and slobby as they like, but until then, shape up or ship out.

I think them rules are totally perfect! there are totally not been too strict there like basic rules most salons/spas have there pratically guidelines

I agree with most of the posts, your not being too strict at all. A strict salon is a successful salon always remember that! The problem is that they are self employed & they think they are bullet proof!! Don't back down & do them new rental contracts as already said & remind them there is a recession going on & they will be hard pushed to find any were else to trade from.

I wish you luck, stay strong & it's been great advice for me as I am about to take over my second salon which is a hairdressers. I haven't met the staff (all employed thank god) yet officially. I went I as a client when the owner was on holiday, just to get a feel of how I was treated & how the staff work with her away. & I had great pleasure watching the senior stylist do her sisters hair for free!!! The owner has told me she puts all her trust in this lady & you don't have to worry about a thing, when you go away! Also she was on her mobile constantly, I was so shocked the owner is such a shrewd lady but when the cats away & all that!! They will all be sat down with my salon rules & I think they will hate me but hey ho thats business for you & as for the senior stylist the words gross misconduct will be said in our little conversation together :).............stick to your guns & you will be fine xxxx

I love that program stumbled across it last week! she's like the supper nanny to salons,well worth a look :)

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Self employed or not, look at it like this...

You now own the space they occupy and how they treat that space is very much your business. If you owned a building and rented out rooms for people to be self employed, there would still be rules eg. no smoking in any part of the building; no loud music etc.... otherwise you would have complaints from other people.

I agree that you need to hold a meeting which needs to be attended by everyone so this can be discussed clearly. If they don't like it then they have the option of finding somewhere else to work.

Oh thanks all so much for your replies.
Great advice mostly telling me what I already knew but when you get told over and over again that they think the rules are too much you start to doubt yourself.
I have sent them all home with revised contracts and codes of conduct. Told them to read them and then next week we will sit down and sign them. Any problems with them will be addressed.
You would be amazed at how many of them can't believe that I don't want them eating or drinking while they are doing treatments...... I mean come on!!!!:grr:

I think it's time to thin the herd a little. But as we have said it's my salon and these are my rules. I agree a strict salon is usually a good one. In the spas I have worked in the rules were the law. Step outside them and you were let go straight away. No 2nd chances.

Welcome to Helgas House of Pain ladies. LOL

Oh thanks all so much for your replies.
Great advice mostly telling me what I already knew but when you get told over and over again that they think the rules are too much you start to doubt yourself.
I have sent them all home with revised contracts and codes of conduct. Told them to read them and then next week we will sit down and sign them. Any problems with them will be addressed.
You would be amazed at how many of them can't believe that I don't want them eating or drinking while they are doing treatments...... I mean come on!!!!:grr:

I think it's time to thin the herd a little. But as we have said it's my salon and these are my rules. I agree a strict salon is usually a good one. In the spas I have worked in the rules were the law. Step outside them and you were let go straight away. No 2nd chances.

Welcome to Helgas House of Pain ladies. LOL

Best of luck :)
As for food and drink... If they worked in retail ect they would go 8 hours with a half hour break for cigarette and or food.
Their not children they don't need a snack break!! stand tall I really hope they sort themselves out for you x

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back