Am I blind?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayteezee

Reaction score
Hi,
Went to a new (top calibre, very pricey) hair salon today.

I went armed with lots of photos images and guidelines.
My hair is a very light brown, which I have previously had coloured with a semi-permanent Level 7-8 Golden Copper, but it has faded and grown out.
I asked the hairdresser for GOLDEN COPPER hair, similar to what I have but refreshed.

I showed her photos of Ilsa Fischer and Amy Adams, and about 10 other reference photographs. I clearly stated I want to be a natural copper gold redhead, NOT a brunette or a fire-engine red.
I also showed her photos of what I DID NOT want. (I did not want to go darker, any cool tones, no mahogany, violet or plum.)

I feel I was very clear about what I wanted.

The end result is WAY darker than when I went in, with almost no copper or gold tones, only a slight tinge of mahogany.

I told her I was unhappy, and she said it would look much better in natural sunlight and once I gave it a few washes.

After coming home, looking in various light and washing my hair twice already, I am really unhappy.
I called and told her, and she said she is still getting to know my hair and that if it hasn't lightened in a week I should call and book a "colour redo" appointment - very nice and professional about it.

So I have two questions:

First, do you think she will be able to fix it without using any permanent colour/stripping my colour/damaging my hair?
My hair does not react well with harsh products, and I refuse to have it stripped or permanently coloured, as keeping my hair healthy is my priority.
Second, if she is unable to fix it without the above methods, am I reasonable to request a refund?

I have I included one of the reference photos I showed her, and a photo of the colour she gave me. Am I wrong to think it is absolutely not what I requested???
Thank you for your advice!
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're not blind. You've been thorough and clear in what you wanted and didn't want. Return asap and have them rectify it or refund you. Don't take no for an answer.

The health of your hair won't be effected by any of the methods stated if your hair is already in good condition and if it's done right. Theres major stereotypes about hair products.

Thank you cams97! My hair is in pretty good condition, but is very porous and fine. When I've had just subtle highlights in the past it changed the texture of my hair completely, and since then I just don't want anything harsh or permanent to touch my hair.

Do you think it's possible to rectify it by putting a golden copper semi permanent over this colour?

As you say whatever the method, if it is done properly, she should be able to fix it without damaging. But if she got the colour so wrong, I am apprehensive that she will fix it properly and not damage my hair!

I'm a nail tech not hairdresser but those pics look completely different to me. Hope you get it sorted xx

Thank you cams97! My hair is in pretty good condition, but is very porous and fine. When I've had just subtle highlights in the past it changed the texture of my hair completely, and since then I just don't want anything harsh or permanent to touch my hair.

Do you think it's possible to rectify it by putting a golden copper semi permanent over this colour?

As you say whatever the method, if it is done properly, she should be able to fix it without damaging. But if she got the colour so wrong, I am apprehensive that she will fix it properly and not damage my hair!

Finer hair actually tends to be a lot stronger than coarser hair depending on texture.

But anyway no a semi won't rectify that. Your hair is too dark the colour needs to be lifted out.

Do they have colour technicians in the salon you went to?

I'm not really sure. I picked a very upmarket salon, and went to the top rated most experienced (and most expensive) hairstylist at the salon, who specializes in colouring.
If the only way they can fix it is by lifting the colour, I don't think I am willing to take the risk.
Politely ask for a refund, and just wash my hair like crazy, wait till it lightens up and then get the gold copper semi done?

Wow.
I'm not surprised you are upset.
Did you specify to her that you only wanted a semi permanent ?
A semi won't lift to a lighter shade.

Do you know what colour brand they used?

Why not request a colour reducer? Or even remover? Stripper is such a harsh word as it is. In fact someone them are can actually make your hair softer and are no where near as damaging as you make out.

Yes, I specifically said semi-permanent. She left the colour on for 30 minutes.
God, now I'm freaking out and hope she didn't use permanent and wasn't deaf as well as blind!!!
I took my iPad with photos, and I printed a list of what I want (semi permanent, gold, copper, light, natural looking) and what I don't want (darker, permanent, mahogany, cool tones, bright red, unnatural)

I have no idea what colour brand they used... She showed me the colour charts, and she kept saying "level 7" which made sense, as my previous stylist (who got my hair very similar to the colour I want, but not quite as rich and intense) would also say "level 7".
I only left my previous stylist as I moved countries!

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1433627500.448021.jpg

This was what my hair looked like before she coloured it... Much lighter, and already quite golden I think.
My previous stylist was using a semi-permanent level 7 gold copper as the top, and semi permanent level 8 gold copper near the bottom. He last did it 6 months ago, and the colour held really well and faded beautifully, just losing all the copper red tones as time went on.
I clearly told the stylist I did not want to go darker at all. Wanted light golden copper and to refresh and pump up the copper so I was more of a redhead than a brunette - like the photo of Ilsa Fischer and other I showed her.

Jaymz do you think a colour reducer would help without damaging? I just hear the words "lift" "strip" or "permanent" and automatically think dry and breakage! You're all very right about misconceptions though. You guys are the professionals, and know your stuff.

How come you went to a new person?

@cams97 I moved to a new country, so I had no choice! My old stylist was amazing. But it's been 6 months (you can see in that last pic, the colour had faded and grown out quite a lot) so I just had to take the plunge.

Ahh right ok. Honestly though, bleach isn't half as damaging as you think, one very mild cleansing session isn't going to ruin your hair.

Hello, that looks like a gloss rather than a permanent colour. A reducer would help or a few washes to help fade. I think a tad too much of a red tone was added over gold and it's a 1/2 to 1 level deeper than your natural base.

Thanks @Sugarplumfaery!
So a gloss would fade much easier than a semi-permanent?
I'm hoping if I wash it a lot, it will fade and lighten and in 3 or 4 weeks she can put a gold copper semi permanent colour to get it closed to what I wanted?

Because it's a Demi-permanent it will last around 12 washes... This is very approximate!! But it will fade, and quicker if you wash it. Use a protein based shampoo rather than a Colour saver.

Thank you so much @Sugarplumfaery (and everyone!) for such great advice.
Will get a protein based shampoo.
You suggested a colour reducer... Does a colour reducer open the hair cuticle and 'strip' or remove your natural hair colour?

I alway ask for semi-permanent colour because I like how it fades to my natural colour.
If a colour reducer removes your natural colour, I don't want it for the same reason I don't want permanent colour.

Some say dishwashing liquid helps to fade colour out faster. In place of shampoo.

Latest posts

Back