Am I missing anything obvious?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GirlyGeek

Reaction score
Third post in as many days ... I'm so sorry - you're all going to be wishing I never found this form. It's fab!

Name has now been decided (Kiwi Hair) thanks to the naming thread and a facebook poll. I have some super duper advice about things to make sure I do and avoid doing, thankyou all kindly!! :)

My next question is ... can you think of anything obvious I am missing? I am very thorough when planning things - have made an appt. with a business advisor to double check everything but thought you ladies and gents would know more about the industry in particular.

So I know I need, and have budgetting for:
- New straighteners, curlers and blow dryers. (could use mine temporarily as they are within warranty so wouldn't need PATting but would rather get some really good ones)
- My colour range (Goldwell) including semis, brights, toners, bleaches, peroxides etc.
- Any rollers/perm rods that I don't already have.
- Tint trolleys
- Cutting stool
- New towels & gowns that match the colour scheme (anal I know lol)
- Hood dryer
- Styling products that match colour range (I maybe planning this too much? lol)
- Misc. salon equipment that you don't think of until you put it all in and think oh bugger.
- Reception desk (the exisiting one is really ugly)
- Styling chairs
- Styling stations
- Leaflets, flyers, pricelists, business cards and outdoor signs.
- Cleaning products
- Radio license
- Decorating the salon

I already have the backwashes in, a waiting sofa, magazine rack, coat rack, fridge, washing facilities, scissors, most foiling and colouring equipment, some foil, cap, hair up stuff, brushes, combs, steriliser etc.

May put a card terminal in in the future but not right now as not sure it is needed - there is a cash machine literally next door. Was thinking of just reminding clients on there way in that we don't have a reader yet so they may need to withdraw cash before appt.

I have a netbook, printer etc spare that I can set up in reception, a phone sorted, a dongle so that I can access trade websites (and salon geek) in work.

Am I missing anything? Is there anything I DON'T need?
If you've got through all that you're a diamond lol.

Oh and also my rent is inclusive of utilities e.g gas, electric, water.
And have researched the business rates and reliefs etc too.

Music....just a thought. Xx

Music....just a thought. Xx

I cant be in my shop without some form of music on, I have actually struggled getting the right tone for me (as I'm the one listening to it all day) my clients ( to suit everyone's needs) and to create the right ambience xx

Kettle and tea/coffee making stuff!

I cant be in my shop without some form of music on, I have actually struggled getting the right tone for me (as I'm the one listening to it all day) my clients ( to suit everyone's needs) and to create the right ambience xx

Thanks :) I did put a radio license on my list so I will have music on within the salon ... unless you know a way to do it without? Can you listen to CD's etc without a license? That would save me a chunk haha!

And lmao. Can't believe I forgot kettle!! Thankyou all =]

You can buy CDs that don't require a license, I think!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks :) I did put a radio license on my list so I will have music on within the salon ... unless you know a way to do it without? Can you listen to CD's etc without a license? That would save me a chunk haha!

And lmao. Can't believe I forgot kettle!! Thankyou all =]

No, I'm afraid you can't :-( it's not the playing of the CD that you need the licence for, it's playing it to the public. You will be entertaining clients so sadly have to still pay despite having already paid your bit on royalties when you bought it.

You need 2 licences - PRS & PPL
One is for the royalties to the artist, and the other goes to that little person behind the scenes playing the piano, backing signers etc

Both around £100 a year each

Cotton wool. Stain remover. Hand mirror to show back. Apron for you. Gloves. Little pot for clients to out earrings in. Ermm barrier cream

You can buy CDs that don't require a license, I think!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

No, I'm afraid you can't :-( it's not the playing of the CD that you need the licence for, it's playing it to the public. You will be entertaining clients so sadly have to still pay despite having already paid your bit on royalties when you bought it.

You need 2 licences - PRS & PPL
One is for the royalties to the artist, and the other goes to that little person behind the scenes playing the piano, backing signers etc

Both around £100 a year each
You can buy royalty free cd's and play these without the need for any licences. If you decide you don't like the kind of music available royalty free then you will need both the PPL & PRS licences as stated above.

I'm not a hair geek but you might need extension leads, good lighting, mugs/cups for clients drinks, appointment book or software.

Fire extinguishers, accident book, first aid kit, (safety at work poster if you have staff). A calculator. .. Always handy!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Personally I would definately plan for a card machine . We do approx 60% of all our business by card and although a cash machine is nearby , if the clients don't have the ready cash in the bank then they would have to draw it out on their credit cards which attract a high interest fee ! Personally it would put me off coming back and may limit clients spending the higher amounts etc !

Cost of website (domain name, hosting) etc
Salon booking software
Facilities for drinks for clients

Lots of luck!

Sorry if its been said and iv missed it...

appointments diary
client record cards
loyalty cards

Pat testing for all your plug sockets

Latest posts

Back