Am I taking it too serious??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyshimmer

Reaction score
Hi Geeks, i am in a dilemma and wanted to share it to find out a solution :sad::sad:....it's soo long I know but need experienced advice pleasssseeee...
The thing is I applied for this hair and beauty job and then the owner calls me on two different occasions for a hair trial, as hair is not that busy and they get hair clients once in a while. The owner was happy with my work and then next time calls me for an interview. After the interview she tells me in a mail they are not busy with hair so if i would like to work at 60/40 share (obviously 60% her share) and I agreed for some extra cash.
Then in the starting she used to tell me what time and how many clients I got to do and if I could do it or not. I always used to agree as this was my job.
Then after few days I am just guessing because December/Christmas was coming, so she again kind of offers me beauty work and calls me for a full day trial, basically where I just had to see what the other therapists were doing, I was happy to do it though. After that day she started giving me beauty and hair jobs once or twice in a week, I was happy with it inspite of her giving me directions what not to do at times,for eg not to use cotton pads at all during manicure and using the same files for clients, which was a bit weird for me as I had not learned all this at college, but I did whatever she asked me to do because it was my job.
In the salon we are 4 girls,1 full timer and 3 of us are part timer. So 2-3 times it happened that the owner asked me to text another girls asking them to do my shifts, weird coz she could have done that but still I can't understand why she asks me to do this, and during these times she told me to ask them to do this favour to do my shifts??? favour?? she was actually giving my shifts to other girls!!!!! without even asking me and that's too as a favour???? okay I didn't get it in the first time so left this as it is not thinking too much about it.
Then at some point she asks me to do hair and reminds me she's ready to split the hair percentage to 50/50 if I could do it (during busy time in december), and I was more than happy to do it, so basically at times I did colouring/cutting all day and was really happy as I was working on my own and felt I am achieving something. Then comes the insulting and accusing part.....one day I forgot 2 of my combs and once I was back home realised(only about one comb though) that I have forgotten it in the trolley,totally forgetting the other comb. The owner doesn't have any combs of her own except 2 wonky cutting combs. So I texted her asking to keep it for me to collect when I am in next time. Next time when I was in I saw my other comb over there and to make it sure it was mine I came back home and checked everything again and realised it was mine and remembered when did i actually forgot it. So next day I collected it, and the owner texts me as soon as I was back home that I have taken her comb :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:....I did tell her that's mine but I am happy to leave it for her if she thinks it's her, but the whole situation made me feel I am a thief and that she is always watching me and that's why she asks me to keep my kit in the salon until I go and get my stuff from the lockers. I have never felt so uncomfortable any where else before, but I used to leave my kit in the salon and grab my stuff before going home. If she can do this to me for an 82 pence comb, she can accuse me for anything else, so basically my fault will be if I forget any of my stuff at her place.
Then at some point she probably had discussion with her full timer who's her favourite as well, and she asks me to get a full body massage training else she won't be able to give me beauty jobs, spending about 270 pounds for the course I did it and was really excited about it (although I had earned only 100 pounds in the last month as the first salary for my part time work).
Since I have done my massage course I have got just one beauty job and she calls me 2-3 times in the salon for just 1 hair client and I still go, my fault is I didn't ask her until what time I will be working. I don't know why :sad:

Okay she had also booked me for some other free trainings and when I said I won't be able to go as I have just spend already and can't afford to spend in train tickets and then child care she says okay I won't be getting any beauty jobs now on (she was clearly not happy about it as she had discussed this earlier as well that I have to go on these trainings), I said okay, because the same day she again asked me to give my shift to someone and ask her as a favour????!!!!!!! basically taking away my shift and giving it to someone, and that's too through me?? so mentally I got prepared she's not giving me any beauty jobs anyways. And I see no point because they are product related trainings what she uses in her salon, and spending all that money on massage course ended up no where for me with her.
Another thing she never paid me 60/40 or 50/50 for hair at all and when I asked how have I been paid she really felt insulted….why???? wasn’t it my insult anyways that you are driving me the way you want to and then for all that hard work I don’t even get paid 200 pounds which I deserved, and on the top of that she never paid me my commission for selling products what she had promised she is going to pay it with the salary. Now she wrongly remembers my comb as hers but doesn't remember what she had noted down and has to pay me???? strange!!!

Before she first decided to hire me as a part timer, I did declare her I have found I am expecting, and she had no problem with it as I was anyways a part timer. I don't even talk about it and never had any problem so far while standing and I am not big as well so far. But she says I won't be able to do massages anymore becoz I am getting big now. Fair enough!!
I had a little sore throat the other day and she thought I am going to cough on the clients, I said no I know I am not going to do that, but fair enough she reminded me, so now I have again caught bad cough and told her I won’t be able to come for 1 hair client coz I am not well and might cough on client’s face which I don’t want to, and she thinks that’s not fair and now wants to Discuss Future with me……rofl….someone tell me there is this almighty employer to make or break my future just coz I am not well and denied doing the client.

Also, at times, she used to get really cross and kind of force me to do a client's highlighting/root touch all in one hour, and now I see the reason behind it, coz she had decided to pay me hourly rather than any percentage,without even discussing it with me, fair enough, but how can she expect to do a colour that's going to take 35 min developing,highlighting and wash and blow dry, not forgetting the consultation time....I was really feeling for the client as she paid for it though I knew it could all have gone much better.......making me go mad :sad:

What should I do now?? Am I at a wrong place??? With a wrong employer …..or are they all same??
:|:|:|

Last edited:
Goodness. After reading all of that, I can honestly say, my love, that you are in the wrong place. I think you know this as well hun.

If you still want to work within a salon, find yourself one run by someone decent with good working practices, and leave this mess behind you xxx

The whole situation sounds like a complete shamble, and the one losing out is you. Take your skills elsewhere and leave her to it.

thanks a lot for making me feel better Fee.....:hug:

You're very welcome hun. Seriously, you are being taken for a fool, and you now need to stand up, and walk away. Let her fail on her own.
Put your energy into something, and somewhere, where you are appreciated, and not treated as a spare part!

Goodness. After reading all of that, I can honestly say, my love, that you are in the wrong place. I think you know this as well hun.

If you still want to work within a salon, find yourself one run by someone decent with good working practices, and leave this mess behind you xxx

The whole situation sounds like a complete shamble, and the one losing out is you. Take your skills elsewhere and leave her to it.

Ditto, you have bills, and now due to her demanding a massage course you are down more. Either change salon or as you are self employed from the % split etc... YOU choose your working hours! If you want to be in te salon bored waiting for a client it's better than waiting at home bored waiting for a call. Self employed means you make your own rules so make them hun, and dot have some1 dictate to you unless she is paying you a wage and employs you, but then sign a contract. Xoxo

what do you girls suggest, can i just send her a resignation in mail??

Tnx girls for this support, I was feeling soo down, I think this is kind of push now to go mobile, as can't work from home at the moment due to landlord not permitting, really want to support my family not thinking pregnancy as an excuse not to work........and waste my skills as well as learn more....*sigh*

Hand in resignation or demand, she is treating u badly and it's not fair or legal but make sure u have provisions set aside before doing anything so the worst cant happen xoxo

I have only skim read your post as it's very difficult to read as it has so little punctuation.

That said, it seems as if this woman is extracting the mick. I would hand in my notice asap.

Hi hun you need to leave this woman she is taking you for a fool my lovely, it's sounds as if you have many skills that a reputable salon would love to have & she making you feel horrible, hope you get things sorted. xx

Unas I may be wrong, & I apologise if I am, but I think English may not be this lady's first language hence some of the grammar xx

Unas I may be wrong, & I apologise if I am, but I think English may not be this lady's first language hence some of the grammar xx

It's not the grammar, it the enormously long paragraphs.....:Love:

I have resigned via email before - from a job where I was being sexually harassed and bullied. If you don't have the courage to quit in person then definitely not somewhere you should keep working!

aww...thank u lovely ladies....i feel sooooo good today after reading all this, else had almost lost my confidence and thought I might be wrong somewhere.

I have got my insurance and ordered leaflets from vista print after researching here in salongeek, hope something works out for me. I am not going to this trash place anymore where there is no respect for an employee.

Once again thanks to everyone :hugs:.... ...and sorry for that long paragraph:o story:o

Latest posts

Back