Am i the only one........

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoealana

Reaction score
that is not ambidextrus in this business. i am fine doing other peoples nails but cannot do my own. any tips how to improve at all??????

Practise practise practise! And set aside plenty of time, dont rush. I do mine when I know I am not going to be needed for a good few hours! I usually stick the telly on then settle down to do it.
At the moment I use white tips on myself to follow the smile line when applying my white powder, I dont use them on clients as I can do them fine, but like you I find doing my dominant hand very hard!:green:

as someone has previously said, practise is the key! The first full set i did on my self took me hours and they looked rubbish!!:mad:! However now I won't let anyone else touch my nails because I'm so picky!:green: It still takes me a while but its worth it, also I can try out new things on my own without the worry of doing it on a client first time and not liking it!

I really enjoy doing my own nails, just keep practising!

A small tip for you is to do the hardest hand first then do the easy one, and do all your smiles (zone 1) before doing the nail bed on all 5 nails, that way if they really are a mess you can remove and start again,

I pick my bead up with my dominant hand (right) then put the brush in my left hand to apply when doing my own,
and unfortunately it is all down to practise hun

I pick my bead up with my dominant hand (right) then put the brush in my left hand to apply when doing my own,
and unfortunately it is all down to practise hun

Oh yes - thats what I do! I dont think I realised I did that until you pointed it out! :green:

I always start on the most difficult hand first, then the other one is a doddle.

the problem is always doing the other hand

but they do say practice makes perfect

when i was training i spent weeks always doing my other hand, it was frustrating but i got there in the end

I have found that although I find my right hand the hardest to do it actually turns out looking the best. I dont know why that is but I suspect its because I have to pay extra attention to the fine detail both in application and filing/finishing where as doing my left hand I think doddle, easy hand. I've also started doing just 2 or three nails at a time rather than doing all of them after reading that on here somewhere, might have been Sassy Hassy who said that one. Bit of a pain in that to be sure to have all done by a night out I have to start days ahead but it works for me.

I do my own nails and art on the 'difficult' hand by resting my arm/wrist on the table and holding the brush with product still, then moving the dominant hand towards the product instead of trying to use the 'wrong' hand.

Hope this makes sense!:eek:
It works for me, but as before practice!:hug:

I do my own nails and art on the 'difficult' hand by resting my arm/wrist on the table

I also do my own nails and nail art! The trick is to take your time over it, it normally take me about 3 hours (cos I want my nails to be perfect)! Doing your "wrong hand" first and leaning on the table helps! Another key thing is practice! The more you do your own the more skilled you will become.

Don't know what products your using but I always used L&P on myself and now switched to fiberglass as I some how find it easier to do on myself and also they seem to last longer on me without all the lifting and breaking problems that I used to get when i did my own! IMHO its a case of trying out products to find the one that works best for you.

HTH:)

A little trick... so you dont end up wasting product.. when your bored or got a spare few mins.. pick up a pen in your wrong hand (for me thats my left) and teach that hand to write.. get a sheet of paper and 'draw' smile lines on it.. draw circles till u get them perfect.. its all about training your mind to get that hand co-ordinated.. I found that I hold my brush as I do my writing instruments.. so by training my left hand, I refined how it moves.. I get the most perfect smiles now using my left hand :)

A little trick... so you dont end up wasting product.. when your bored or got a spare few mins.. pick up a pen in your wrong hand (for me thats my left) and teach that hand to write.. get a sheet of paper and 'draw' smile lines on it.. draw circles till u get them perfect.. its all about training your mind to get that hand co-ordinated.. I found that I hold my brush as I do my writing instruments.. so by training my left hand, I refined how it moves.. I get the most perfect smiles now using my left hand :)

Thats really good idea, I'm going to try that today while I'm at work. Might as well do something useful.

Depending on what you are staring with, you could try doing the reverse technique. This is good for a set without a natural free edge to begin with.

If you were using a coverage powder or gel, you can sculpt zones 2 and 3, doing your best to makes a smile, however you can then always file the free edge into a smile, pop a form on and the butt the white up to your pre filed smile line IYKWIM.

Oooooh, I love doing my own nails...but yes, it takes plenty of practice. When I started out I was my own victi...er...client for a loooong time so I got rather good. But make sure you have plenty of time set aside so you don't feel rushed. And the good thing about doing your nails is that it is extra learning practice too! :hug:

Latest posts

Back