Am I working too wet with l&p?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'chelle

Reaction score
Hi guys.Can anyone give me some advice? I've jst done a hand on the nail trainer today, and I'm still struggling to perfect my l&p mix ratio. I was told at creative academy that its 1 part to 1.5 parts, and that you acheive this by leaving the brush in the polymer for about 2 seconds. I've been told to look for a "spiky" type finish to a white polymer bead, and a frosted glaze to a pink bead. I've been doing this, then allowing the bead to settle on the nail for a second before pushing it into shape, but I always seem to get product in my brush which I believe is a sign of working too wet. I've been working on the basis that you dip the brush in monomer by the tip only for a small bead, and all the way in for a large bead, and that you wipe the brush once on each side on the edge of the dappen dish before going to the polymer. The bead feels ok to work with on the nail ie not too wet and not setting too quickly, and I'm pushing and pressing as opposed to brushing, so I'm stumped as to why I always end up with a brush full of product. Can anyone help?:confused:???

I think in one of Gigi's tutorials it talks you through the mix ratio - but what I remember is someone saying you should say "going going gone" before pressing/patting your bead into place.

The other thing is the belly of the brush can hold a lot of monomer so even if your mix ratio is right, then if you press the bead with a full belly of monomer, then it will make the bead even wetter - hope that makes sense?

Some people don't like to wipe their brush inbetween creating their beads - others do (I would recommend that you try and get it so that you don't have to wipe it on a paper towel/lint free pad if you can) but if your brush is getting clogged then you will have to wipe it so that it doesn't get clogged.

If you have access to a laminating machine then you can always draw some circles or shapes on a piece of paper - laminate it and then practice on that, this will allow you to see how much your bead relaxes and whether it goes over the edge of the lines.

I think in one of Gigi's tutorials it talks you through the mix ratio - but what I remember is someone saying you should say "going going gone" before pressing/patting your bead into place.

The other thing is the belly of the brush can hold a lot of monomer so even if your mix ratio is right, then if you press the bead with a full belly of monomer, then it will make the bead even wetter - hope that makes sense?

Some people don't like to wipe their brush inbetween creating their beads - others do (I would recommend that you try and get it so that you don't have to wipe it on a paper towel/lint free pad if you can) but if your brush is getting clogged then you will have to wipe it so that it doesn't get clogged.

If you have access to a laminating machine then you can always draw some circles or shapes on a piece of paper - laminate it and then practice on that, this will allow you to see how much your bead relaxes and whether it goes over the edge of the lines.

Also, you need to create the 'dome' you were shown on your foundation course.
When you place the bead onto the circle & leave it, it should slowly dome and not spread out too much.
It's difficult to explain..try it on some plastic if you don't have a laminator!

Thanks everyone I will have a look at the tutorials, and will also try testing my beads on some plastic or laminate as suggested. Thanks all for your advice

Practising your ratios is important, but from what you say in your post, the fact you are "pushing" product is what may be clogging your brush.

You state you were "told" what to do, when really you should have been "shown", guided and instructed what to do.

Try patting and pulling/smoothing, rather than pushing, as often this pushes acrylic into your brush.

Latest posts

Back