Annoyed, frustrated and need advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deborah1611

Reaction score
So I've been working from home now a few months and been building up my clientele some days its quite but this week has been brilliant I've been so busy! I offer beauty treatments and Nail treatments
I've just found out a salon has opened a few mins from me and I seen their price list in the shop so I took a copy just to have a look at it and they have under cut me they are doing treatments next to nothing!!
Offering gelish and Vita liberata spray tans for £10 each which I charge £15 each I'm now worried that because I live in a small village everyone will now go to this new salon as they are so cheap! I have spent lots of money in my home salon also just done a big order for Vita Liberata tan and now I'm scared no one will come back :( its so upsetting areal kick in the stomach. Anyone any advice on what to do?? Xx

Sent from my SM-T210 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes you may lose some clients, but when that salon closes because its making no money you can be very smug when your clients return!

I'm mobile & home based. 3 months after launching my home treatment room, a salon opened up less than half a mile away.

Their prices were cheaper than mine, and they have big fancy premises. I thought it was game over for me.

But my business has continued to grow, and I'm now busy enough!

Clients come to me for the quality of my work, for the more personal and homely service, and I go to them because they don't want to or can't go to a salon.

The salon is still there, but whenever I drive past, I smile to myself at all the staff stood around looking bored in the empty salon!!

Not everyone wants cheap & cheerful it seems x

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

obviously someone with no business sense what so ever. A salon is going to have a lot more overheads then your self, and at those prices they won t last long. I cant see how they would make enough money to even re stock at those prices. In the mean time im afraid there is very little you can do, no doubt you will lose some clients, but at least being home based you can ride the storm. Do not get into a price war with them. This industry has gone totally mad, im afraid most of us have to deal with this on a daily basis. good luck x

Its just like she has taken my price list and done everything half price using the same products as me its just so annoying as u work hard to get clients! But I won't be changing my prices as I believe that is what my work is worth! I will soon find out who my true clients are thanks for everyone's reply xx

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Not everyone is attracted to cheap prices in fact it puts me off because I, maybe wrongly, automatically assume it's going to be crap service or treatment. There'll always be someone lower priced but they probably won't stay long once they've looked at all their costs. Just be proud of what you do and stand out for other reasons

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

To be honest I wouldnt worry, its the quality of your work and your service that matters and that will keep clients coming...not the price :)

Where i live is quite saturated with beauty therapists offering extremely cheap nails. I refuse to drop my price and still keep busy!

Infact me and my partner where laughing at a group of beauty therapists/nail techs squabbling over a client on facebook last night, all trying to undercut each other by offering gels for £12, and then £8, etc, etc.

The new salon might fit 10 sets of gelish in a day and therefore turnover £100, but at the same time you would only have to do 7 to make more than that.

Surely its an opening offer? If not, she wont be there long... Unless they are happy to work for free.

Personally I think £15 for gelish is cheap let alone £10.

As a client I would assume (maybe wrongly) that they are either newly qualified or cutting corners.

Nothing to worry about, the bargain hunters will go there & when the prices go up they will move on.

Just focus on giving your clients the best possible service & they will return :)

Xx

My hubby always says that to be successful in any business you either have to be cheaper or better than your rivals.

Personally I don't intend to be cheaper so am working on being the best I can!! Just stick at it, you know your own worth - and be better. With salon overheads, cheap is difficult to sustain!

Good luck x

A salon did that close to me.
We had recently opened our salon than literally 6 months after a salon opened and went through our price lists copied everything and discounted heavily and even started going through our friends list on Facebook and started adding clients.
None of them went, now 4 months after opening she had increased her prices dramatically and is empty all the time.
Your clients come to you for your services and for your professionalism your loyal ones will stay. Some might dip their toes but more often than not will return

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

A good way to think of it is, would you want to do more clients for less money, or less clients for more money. Less clients for more money means you have more time for more clients. ;)

Sent from my MediaPad 10 LINK using SalonGeek mobile app

I always think of the supermarket analogy. Waitrose really don't worry about what Aldi are doing.

Most of my client base would never go to a salon that is cheaper than cheap. I'm not naïve - some may go there, but as a one off. You just have to make them love you - they don't just come for the nails, they come for you!

I go to Aldi sometimes, but given a choice, I'd go to Waitrose lol!

Vicki x

You just have to make them love you - they don't just come for the nails, they come for you!

Vicki x

So true. Be yourself, offer the best service you can to every client. Remember to ask them about auntie Joan who had the hip replacement etc! Give them a little something occasionally - a client came for a callus peel today - whilst she was waiting to be collected I noticed one of her fingernails looked sore - she had ripped off an acrylic applied by another salon, I gave her a quick ibx treatment and a small bottle of solar oil. I can guarantee she will be back for more treatments!

I go to lidl as can get a lot of the exact same brands cheaper than waitrose. You can make money on cheap treatments if you have enough staff doing them and they are busy. A little from a lot = a lot xx

Just a little update I have found out she is only doing 2 days a week not sure what days! So as much as it had annoyed me I don't think she will hurt me as much as I thought as I said I am a home salon but I also do mobile to suit clients that work all week and that have children etc! Thanks to everyone who replied all ur comments helped a lot :) so thank u xx

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Just wondering why you charge £15 for tans, i thought the going rate was about £20? X

Just wondering why you charge £15 for tans, i thought the going rate was about £20? X

I think it varies by area. I charge £15 for tans & am one of the more expensive techs in my area.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back