Another age thread

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vitality

Reaction score
Reading all these threads about life starting at 40 and feeling old etc. Made me wonder what you "older" people thought of younger people. Do you take them seriously when giving advice? Do automatically see teen/twenty something year olds as young and naive? Do you think you always know better? What are the differences between young people now compared to when you were that age? :Love:

I have mixed reactions with younger people. It all depends on the situation and topic. (By the way I turn 50 this year). Normally the younger girls I work with are very good at their job, they create excellent nails and have wonderful ideas for designs etc. But when it comes to young girls being placed in a managerial role, many dont have enough life experience to know how to deal with managing other people, especially those older than themselves.

I am the oldest person working for the salon company I am with, I am even older than the owners. I get on very well with everyone at all levels. I have been brought up to respect my elders and treat everyone equally. ie. treat others as I would like to be treated myself. But I dont feel that everyone is brought up like this anymore. Younger people have a lot more confidence than I did at their age. But, they have a lot more options in life these days too.

In my opinion an awful lot of youngsters dont appear to be able to explain themselves very well. They dont seem to have the vocabulary or conversational skills like us. I guess TV and computers are a lot to blame. We used to talk a lot and have discussions both in school and at home. I still do this with my son. Yet his friends say that they dont really discuss or talk much about life in general with their parents. Some girls are very naive, but then most are not.

There definately isn't a straight forward answer to this. It changes from person to person. Everyone has their own thoughts and opinions and everyone should be heard, listened too and take it from there. :hug:

I have mixed reactions with younger people. It all depends on the situation and topic. (By the way I turn 50 this year). Normally the younger girls I work with are very good at their job, they create excellent nails and have wonderful ideas for designs etc. But when it comes to young girls being placed in a managerial role, many dont have enough life experience to know how to deal with managing other people, especially those older than themselves.

I am the oldest person working for the salon company I am with, I am even older than the owners. I get on very well with everyone at all levels. I have been brought up to respect my elders and treat everyone equally. ie. treat others as I would like to be treated myself. But I dont feel that everyone is brought up like this anymore. Younger people have a lot more confidence than I did at their age. But, they have a lot more options in life these days too.

In my opinion an awful lot of youngsters dont appear to be able to explain themselves very well. They dont seem to have the vocabulary or conversational skills like us. I guess TV and computers are a lot to blame. We used to talk a lot and have discussions both in school and at home. I still do this with my son. Yet his friends say that they dont really discuss or talk much about life in general with their parents. Some girls are very naive, but then most are not.

There definately isn't a straight forward answer to this. It changes from person to person. Everyone has their own thoughts and opinions and everyone should be heard, listened too and take it from there. :hug:
Great answer.

It seems that the younger the person the more they think they know and the more they want to thrust their opinions on to everyone else.

And in lots of instances they have the knowledge and justification to behave like this.

And in lots of instances they have not.

But life teaches you to try and be a bit more measured and respectful towards other people and THEIR opinions.

However, as in all instances it comes down to the younger or older individual.

Jacqui xx

This is really interesting seeing your opinions on young therapists :) hope you dont mind me saying my bit!

I turned 19 in feb..the two girls i work with have both left on maternity leave leaving me as manager of the salon :)
I can completely see where your coming from on not having a lot of experience...i have been working non stop since the age of 13...firstly in a cafe for couple years, then i did some unpaid salon work as well as working in a shop :) now i have been at my current salon for just over 18 months. I personally feel that i have had a lot of experience within customer service and salon experience, obviously not as much as i would have had if i was older, but more than average for my age. I am confident with my treatments and service and communication to my clients and many think i'm older than what i am! I have had to be in with interveiws and have handled a few situations really well i think :)
Really pleased that my boss has the confidence in me to run the business and help a new therapist with settling in..she has been in the business over 20 years so has very good client base and a successful business so feel priviliged that she can trust me with her salon and hasnt felt the need to adverise for someone more experienced :)
Sorry if i've rambled on a bit...terrible habit lol...just thought would give my opinion on this thread :-D

Kayleigh xx

This is really interesting seeing your opinions on young therapists :) hope you dont mind me saying my bit!

I turned 19 in feb..the two girls i work with have both left on maternity leave leaving me as manager of the salon :)
I can completely see where your coming from on not having a lot of experience...i have been working non stop since the age of 13...firstly in a cafe for couple years, then i did some unpaid salon work as well as working in a shop :) now i have been at my current salon for just over 18 months. I personally feel that i have had a lot of experience within customer service and salon experience, obviously not as much as i would have had if i was older, but more than average for my age. I am confident with my treatments and service and communication to my clients and many think i'm older than what i am! I have had to be in with interveiws and have handled a few situations really well i think :)
Really pleased that my boss has the confidence in me to run the business and help a new therapist with settling in..she has been in the business over 20 years so has very good client base and a successful business so feel priviliged that she can trust me with her salon and hasnt felt the need to adverise for someone more experienced :)
Sorry if i've rambled on a bit...terrible habit lol...just thought would give my opinion on this thread :-D

Kayleigh xx

You've clearly got a good work ethic, you come across in a positive way and you're off to a really good start .. well done!

It doesn't matter if we're 19 or 69, we can have all the knowledge in the world but when you work with people as closely as therapists do its also a lot to do with how personable we are.

Jacqui xx

I love the creativity of younger people. I do think creativity can wane as we age.

I do struggle when youngsters seem unable to "come out of themselves" and put another person's perspective or feelings first. This generation do appear to think that the world revolves around them.

Think it does depend on the individual and I've got a wide range of friends.
If I was going to generalise I would say that most young women are more open ,less inhibited, louder and more confident. Young people have less prejudice against minority groups. People in general drink a lot more these days but smoke less (or so it seems). In general manners, like holding open doors, all age groups have sadly got worse.
In the work-place experience does count, but good people management, drive and willingness to work hard are more inborn than learned.
To sum up I think it's the age in your head that counts!

Latest posts

Back