Another query, re: rockstar

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nail angel 67

Reaction score
Hi Guys - sorry if I sound a bit dumb here but just need to get my facts right about Rockstar. Does Rockstar mean completely covering the nail in glitter i.e. no colour needed as only the glitter is on show or does it also mean colour sprinkled with glitter? I see a pricing thread re rockstar with Shellac - do the prices refer to either or would people charge more for the solid glitter look?

Hope this makes sense! :confused:

I think it's just total glitter. X

Total glitter whether one colour, mixed or graduated and I always put a colour under, sometimes 2 if its a 2 tone rockstar or ombré rockstar

hth :)

Last edited:
Total glitter whether one colour, mixed or graduated and I always put a our under, sometimes 2 if its a 2 tone rockstar or ombré rockstar

hth :)

Thanks - did you mean you always put a colour under? Why would this be necessary if the nail is completely covered with glitter? Confused.com :wink2:

I always put a color under glitter also, usually the same color as the glitter. You need the tacky layer of the base color to adhere the glitter to. I only do one thin coat of color though. You can use a sheer base but then the glitter may not look completely opaque. This is how I do my Rockstars...
1. Prep
2. Base coat and cure
3. Color coat and cure
4. Burnish the glitter into the inhibition (tacky) layer...I find the finer the glitter, the better. You can do a single color or multiple colors.
5. Clean up the glitter by brushing the loose glitter off with a stiffer brush
6. Top coat and cure
7. Top coat and cure again for smoother finish. I have a separate top coat that I use for Rockstars so I don't get glitter on someone who doesn't want it
8. Clean off inhibition layer and use Solaroil

Yes sorry was lates at night had not noticed the typo

I always do a colour or colours to help the glitter look its best, plus looks fab if a ombré nail or a colour tip as slightly changes the colour of the glitter as you always see a hint of the colour through.

This is a ombré nail with a two colour glitter mix on top but because of the ombré under it looks like the glitter goes light to darker

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1352360824.672368.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1352360824.672368.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 438
Love that Maz, only been qualified in Gelish a couple of weeks and have already perfected the matte french manicure, now onto the ombre glitters.... love experimenting!!! xxx

This is a ombré nail with a two colour glitter mix on top but because of the ombré under it looks like the glitter goes light to darker

That looks beautiful - well done! Can anyone tell me the best way of getting the "sprinkled" glitter look please. Thanks.

I always put a color under glitter also, usually the same color as the glitter. You need the tacky layer of the base color to adhere the glitter to. I only do one thin coat of color though. You can use a sheer base but then the glitter may not look completely opaque. This is how I do my Rockstars...
1. Prep
2. Base coat and cure
3. Color coat and cure
4. Burnish the glitter into the inhibition (tacky) layer...I find the finer the glitter, the better. You can do a single color or multiple colors.
5. Clean up the glitter by brushing the loose glitter off with a stiffer brush
6. Top coat and cure
7. Top coat and cure again for smoother finish. I have a separate top coat that I use for Rockstars so I don't get glitter on someone who doesn't want it
8. Clean off inhibition layer and use Solaroil

Sorry if I'm sounding dumb but what does burnish mean?

Yes sorry was lates at night had not noticed the typo

I always do a colour or colours to help the glitter look its best, plus looks fab if a ombré nail or a colour tip as slightly changes the colour of the glitter as you always see a hint of the colour through.

and ... what does ombre mean?

To be totally honest I think you can choose whats what.

I do loads of Rockstar nails and I consder Rockstar nails to be with Glitter or Foil. Some faded Glitter some not, I charge the same as it usually takes the same amount of time and I didnt want to have a tonne of different names for simialr services and different prices, it just complicates things.

I have Glitter and Foils then I have swarovski too though these are priced per crystal or per nail.

I am also getting the additives in and I am thinking I will still call them Rockstar nails although I have heard a tonne of other names I will keep it simple and stick to one. They can just be the non glittery rocstars.

Until you start using them for lines and dots then its nail art. Thats just my opinion though, why make it so complicated!

Sorry if I'm sounding dumb but what does burnish mean?

Its a nicer way of saying scrubbing (the glitter/additive) onto the shellac/Gelish etc

and ... what does ombre mean?

Ombré is the 2 tone look. Try the search function it should bring up a few threads where you can see what they look like

These are pretty. So have you done a pale pink base colour and then pale pink and darker pink glitter over the top? You haven't done a painted ombré base under the glitter? Sorry brains on strike today. Thanks xx

Under the glitter it's baby pink base, then a brighter pink, then a mixed glitter 1 tiny scoops of light pink dark pink and silver holographic, shaken then added to the sticky layer and then top coated.

Will try and find the before pic of the colours I used for the ombré under the glitter :)

Under the glitter it's baby pink base, then a brighter pink, then a mixed glitter 1 tiny scoops of light pink dark pink and silver holographic, shaken then added to the sticky layer and then top coated.

Will try and find the before pic of the colours I used for the ombré under the glitter :)

Oh yes please that would be great thank you x

Ombré is the 2 tone look. Try the search function it should bring up a few threads where you can see what they look like

Great thanks Dol for explaining that to me :lol:

I just started with Gelish about a month or so ago,and have heard the term ROCKSTAR a lot on here,and knew it had to do with glitter but wasn't really sure exactly what it was,so this thread is extremely helpful thanks for asking Nail Angel :D

Here's the pic (sorry I forgot) dark to light pink its lighter in real life

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1352842784.103665.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1352842784.103665.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 118

Latest posts

Back