Any help for a non hair geek?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TweezerHappy

Reaction score
So about a year ago I got highlights. Liked them at first then quite quickly hated them. This pic was taken just before I changed the colour. Since then I've been getting a chocolate semi every 8 weeks or so to cover the highlights.

This is the colour of my hair now. The old highlights are almost grown out. Only about 1-2 inches left to go. I'm half Chinese so my hair is naturally very dark brown/black.

Since I didn't like the highlights last time I said I'd just stick to my natural hair colour but I think I'd like to try it out again. I was kind of rail-roaded into that colour(long story). I've been looking for pics of natural highlights on hair my colour but can't really find any.

Can any hair geeks out there offer advice on natural highlights, in laymen's terms mind. I will of course be going to a salon for this. I'll discuss it with m hairdresser too but I'd like an idea of what to ask for/ talk about first. Or do you know any good sites to check out?

Thank you. :green:

Oh, will the chocolate semi be an issue with colour lifting? I remember that being such a hassle when I used to get highlights but they were bright reds and purple and that.

Do not have a clue about hair but I really liked your hair in the 1st pic x:)

Last edited:
Do not have a clue about hair but I really liked you hair in the 1st pic x:)

Thanks hun :hug: but I really didn't like the colour. It got really dull fast.

I feel I should explain that pic a bit. My friends and I had just exchanged secret santa presents and the gloves were part of my pressie. :lol:

Did make me wonder!!lol x

I'm new to this and can't see your pic, to make any suggestions x Is it just the fact the colour goes dull that you don't like it, or you don't like the colour it's self?

I'm new to this and can't see your pic, to make any suggestions x Is it just the fact the colour goes dull that you don't like it, or you don't like the colour it's self?

Hi, I put the link to the photos in the word "this".

It was the actual colour I didn't like. At first it was alright, but I don't think i could have my hair that light all the time. The person that did my hair actually wanted to go lighter :eek:

Just now I think the colour of my hair is very flat, if that makes sense. I'd like a few different tones but to look natural too. Not in your face highlights.

Oooo i see, was in the word this. .
I agree the colour is too flat.
I think you need to go for warmer tones, or even in the all over brown you have Just add a rich tone to it.
The first picture the lighter brown inbetween is a much nicer tone on your skin.
I think if you went for that and had maybe one darker tone that is a nice rich brown, and maybe a carmel tone, but just really fine weaved all the way through, so you just get a shimmer, I think this would look gorgeous on u.

i don't mean to offend you (so you clearly know i'm going to offend you! LOL) but you look so much younger in the 2nd picture with the darker hair i think! no advice because i know nothing about hair haha but you can never have too many compliments! :D x

Latest posts

Back