Any ideas! Natural nail, nicotine stains

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wooshka

Reaction score
I was hoping that some of you had some little secret to getting rid of nicotine stains on the natural nails.

I have my first elderly client who is having mani's and she is a heavy smoker which of course has caused terrible stains to her nails.

Now, I'm a smoker too but for some reason I don't get the stains so I have never had to deal with them before and have no clue how to that protects the nail.

I have heard using things like denture tablets (soaking in this solution) helps, lemon juice and bicarb soda is another but I have also heard these things really don't work and are just a waste.
I don't want to look like a non pro by just dumping her fingers in a pile of different solutions to have none of them work, so this is why I am hoping that some of you have some tried and tested solutions that you are sure do work.

The condition of her nails are actually quite good for her age, so I refuse to do anything that could damage them, like excessive buffing to try and reduce stains etc (I know of some techs who have done this and it's terrible).

Eventually I think I will be able to convince her to have Polish Pro applied but for now she just insists of mani's with no colour, she just wants a clear polish and of course the yellow stains make it look yuck.

Any help appreciated:)
She is coming for next appt in nearly 2 weeks.

I'm not sure how professonial it would look but whitening toothpaste works ( it was to be white though not one with coloured stripe) put some on a nail brush and gently rub it on the nail. I'm a smoker so I know it works :)

I'm not sure how professonial it would look but whitening toothpaste works ( it was to be white though not one with coloured stripe) put some on a nail brush and gently rub it on the nail. I'm a smoker so I know it works :)

Following in that line of thought, I was wondering if a smoker's tooth polish would work. Sounds like it might.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to file that away for future reference...that is, for as long as my mind can hold it.

Following in that line of thought, I was wondering if a smoker's tooth polish would work. Sounds like it might.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to file that away for future reference...that is, for as long as my mind can hold it.

Yes that would work too.

Thanks very much for the info and the link guys:Love:

I never even thought about toothpaste, I will have to give some thought to how to use it and make it look/seem professional.

But just thinking about it quickly now, I think I will use a small mani brush to apply the toothpaste (is my first thought) and then maybe wrap in foil (cause I reckon the heat from the body would help this process) and then wash off in warm water etc etc.
Just like a removal process of UV polish but not using acetone using the toothpaste instead.
I think I would also look at decanting the toothpaste into a nice small bowl to at least make it look nicer, instead of a tube of toothpaste:)

I will let you know if this works or what works best.

There is a product for nails that comes in a tube called whitening paste..................:idea:

Nailbrite from sweet squared is good for discoloured/stained nails. x

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Yes I would say the same Nailbrite and maybe try the toothpaste aswell x

Bicarbonate of soda really does work. Add a bit of it to a damp nail scubbing brush and scrub away, all gone after about a minute. I've used it in a mani a couple of times. Of course some other ideas may be quicker, I don't know as have only tried this tip before, but i do know that it is a cheap and effective way. hth

Latest posts

Back