Any ideas what this is?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessa1980

Reaction score
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1388515001.586744.jpg hello do you know what are those white small dots on the nail bed? Does it mean the client lack of calcium or some sort of infections?

The nail is dehydrated. This is common when clients don't use their nail conditioning oil when they have Shellac on.

That looks like trauma to me - the nail comes away from the nail bed when hit, knocked etc hth's

To add also having enhancements too long and catching them & also pulling them off!

View attachment 51609 hello do you know what are those white small dots on the nail bed? Does it mean the client lack of calcium or some sort of infections?

White spots on the nails generally indicate dehydration or could be related to improper removal of the artificial nail coating.

The skin around her nails look very sore though, what product are you using ? Does the client complain of any itching or discomfort at all?

Last edited:
View attachment 51609 hello do you know what are those white small dots on the nail bed? Does it mean the client lack of calcium or some sort of infections?

Ouch...Her fingers look almost burnt!

Sent from my BatPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Were her fingers in this state before?
I don't think I would have wanted to do any service on her. I would have been scared of causing pain

I don't know what is wrong with the skin, it looks like a reaction/burn or dehydration due to lack of skin care.
The white dots and marks are nail trauma, and I know this due to the fact that I caused this on my very first client by over filing the natural nail. It could be trauma caused by the client miss treating them by looking at the condition of the surrounding skin. I would check the hand for soreness or abrasions and if the hands are ok I would recommend a weekly salon treatment to replace moisture.

It's frustrating that clients will pay to have there nails done but not pay for cuticle oil or salon treatment cream.

Good luck with this one! Xx

Mine looked like this when I cleaned my oven without gloves

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

The white could be damage from improper enhancement removal or prep... Doug Schoon blew the theory of dehydration out of the water not too long ago with nails that look like this. But her nails looks pretty bad, maybe she needs to see a doctor.

Trauma to the nail plate, it will grow out but she must be hard on her nails.

Also looks like she has had a bad reaction to something on her fingers they look sore if be sending her to the dr?

Guys thank you for all your replies, basically she's been going to a salon and had opi gel polish, she mentioned to me that every time they soak off her nails they always hurt her, she came to me for the first time and and I soaked off her opi (what she had on) with my Gelish product ( which is what I use) and that is what I found underneath, she said that the way I soaked off her nails didn't hurt her at all and from now on she wants to come to me... Only thing what shall I suggest if this is the case of her nail being dehydrated? Just keep using moustarising?
She has a easy life, works as a manager in retail in a department store in London and doesn't have children, so wouldn't think she is too hard on her nails...
The skin around her finger she said it doesn't hurt and she had it like that for ages, so for that shall I advise her to see her gp? She does have very dry skin xxx

Ouch that looks sore :(

I use OPI Gel Colour and when I remove it my clients nails are beautiful underneath!

let's hope this client stays with you and gets her nails and hands back into good condition.

I would def send her to her GP. Could be an allergic reaction to the acetone with all the soak offs - then by the time its gone down, hey, time to soak again:rolleyes: who knows though, I wouldn't perform a service before she's seen a GP.

To prevent the nailbed becoming dehydrated you need to advise your clients to use Solar oil (other brands are available lol but imho this is the best), they should rub it into their whole nail, not just the cuticle, at least once a day. The oil will travel down through the product and reach the nailbed and keep it hydrated and prevent the white marks. This should have been covered in your training.

Again it could be just that she's very hard on her nails and bashes them a lot, or pulls them off - looking at them, the nail looks thinner on the free edges than the rest of the nail, also the white specks are in the right place for someone who has been dragging their nails off - if I had to hedge my bets, this would be my guess.

There is a small chance it could be zinc deficiency - but its not really for us to diagnose, her GP will give an opinion. x

I bet the salon she's been going to is using cheap gallon acetone off the internet and soaking the whole hand instead of doing wraps. And who knows what they might be using as gel polish as it might say OPI on the bottle but is it OPI inside the bottle? Who knows. I agree with very one else maybe GP appointment is better for her. Although after working in retail, I wouldn't say it's an easy life, your more likely to damage your nails, ie tills, lifting, stock rotation, money handling.

Agree - nails and skin went extremely de-hydrated by strong acetone, that's why removal was painfull. Now she needs lots of moisture so cuticle oil several times a day and lots of good hand cream after every washing plus thick layer of it for a night. It's also good to sleep with cotton gloves on for a few nights so the cream and oil can soak in the skin nicely.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using SalonGeek mobile app

The white spots on this nails that Leukonychia - it is nothing to wory about we all get it as some point it is nothing else like a small air pocked in between the nail layers. This white spots will grow out. I would wory about a skin condition around the nails as this looks like a bad alergic reaction or infection.

The white spots on this nails that Leukonychia - it is nothing to wory about we all get it as some point it is nothing else like a small air pocked in between the nail layers. This white spots will grow out. I would wory about a skin condition around the nails as this looks like a bad alergic reaction or infection.

How do you pronounce leukonychia. Is it usually caused by trauma or can it occur naturally. Not a seasoned pro like most on geek, so it's nice to have input from experienced nail techs. X

Wiki have a great article which includes fab pictures all about types and causes of leukonychia which is indeed what this lady appears to have...along with some irritated surrounding skin issues!
I'm glad that she has found you and has moved away from whoever was causing these problems. Just make sure that she books in for hydrating treatments or leaves with some pretty hefty oil eg solar oil (or advise re what and where to buy)
:)

I had a regular the other day, she had picked off her gel on the right hand, but didn't pick it off the left hand. Her right hand nails looked like this picture, her left hand nails were healthy, think she learned a lesson. :) and she bought cuticle oil !

Latest posts

Back