Any of you geeks dealing with Fibro/CFIDS?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailartist

Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any others, like me, who are dealing with fibromyalgia and/or chronic fatigue-immunodeficiency syndrome while keeping up with your nail career? What do you do specifically to conserve your energy for work? How about ergonomics--what kinds of tools or exercises or methods do you employ to keep pain and fatigue to a minimum? Do you arrange your work schedule any special way to compensate?

I know I have some days where I'm hard-pressed to get out of bed in the morning; of course, once I'm up and about, I start to feel better. Then I crash by the end of the day. Luckily I can sneak into one of the treatment rooms during my breaks to lay down. :) I have to do stretches for my neck and low back, and also arms and wrists. And I've learned to do enhancements quite thin simply to reduce the wear and tear on my shoulder from filing. The fact that they look prettier that way is just gravy.:D

Anyone have any comments, suggestions, etc.?

Bumpity McBump. :)

Hi, I am currently taking a medication that is used to treat fibromyalgia. It's called Amitriptyline. I dont think I have the condition but my doc is saying I have spondylosis which is causing the same symptoms as fibro.

I am finding it very hard at the moment as I am in constant pain, all down my left arm and shoulder, upper back and headaches. My chiropractor says I have a slipped disc and trapped radial nerve but I think the problem runs a little deeper than that as I have had it since August with no improvement, in fact it's worse.

This medication, I started taking in yesterday and I slept for 15 hours last night, I fell asleep at 7pm on the sofa and was even unaware of my 2 year old bouncing on me at 8pm. I woke at 3.3am, took another pill and went to bed and woke at 11am.

They did not make me feel sick as most of these strong tablets do, although I did take a Domperidone, anti-emetic, so this is prob why.

With regards to work, I work from home and look after a 2 year old so I try and only take one app in the morning and one in the evening, I rest as much as poss inbetween. I cant drive as I cant change gear and pull handbrake on and off so I pretty much stay at home. I recently did a e-file course to help cut down the time filing bu hand, I also bought a kneeling chair but I am in too much pain to sit on it as it can be painful to use for a few weeks until you are used to it.

I am waiting to see a consultant at the end of Jan and in the meantime I am going to a physio on the 9th to see if she can help me.

I really feel for you, the constant pain is awful and at times too much to cope with especially when you have work, children and a home to care for too.

I have to admit that the housework just does not get done until hubby gets home from work. I cant cook a meal as my left arm is pretty much useless, even with regards to peeling veg and chopping as I dont have the strength to hold anything still on the chopping board.

I have just bought a TENS machine, this has helped alot although only while I am wearing it. It was £40 but it's been well worth it, it meant that I could sit and watch my daughter opening her pressies on xmas day without tears rolling down my face in pain.

I hope you find some relief soon.

Rachel xx

hello, its lisa caputo. i used to be very depressed and in so much paon from fibromyalgia. although it will technically never go away, you can in fact make it lessen. ironically you think you cant and will never be able to move let alone excersise. well, let me say if you dont use it, you lose it. most definately. your body has to be moving every day. extra weight and nerve pain doesnt help but i dont beleive its the underlying problem. i go to the chiro as much as i can,maybe even three days a week (its heaven).i started a light cardio program with circuit training machines,not hard and cant screw it up or make your self aggrivated. three or two times a week, but it really is key to move somehow every day, once you try it you'll see. and also key is when your at the table, makeyour hydraulic chair higher than the client, stay straight ahead, and keep your shoulders relaxed no matter what. that scrunche up thing you do when you dont realize will be your downfall. it relaxes the lower, upper, and necknot to mention your arms wont get too numbfrom massaging and filing all day. make a conscious effort to keep your feet on the ground and let your legs out a bit (mani and pedi). there is an article in nails mag and its considered misdiagnosed pains or something. muscular (myo)problems. eat right for your body and chill out if you need to. drink water if you can too. usually there is a hypoglycemia issue associated w/ fibro so eat protein w/ veggies and whole wheat bread(not a lot).that's my challenge now but the energy sky rockets and stays right all day.

and use a pedi spa b/c the angle is right for your back. dont compromise with any of these things.you'll thank me.;)

Latest posts

Back