Vegans/vegetarians how do you deal with criticism?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimmimus

Reaction score
Hi
are there any vegans or vegetarians here? I am vegetarian (almost vegan but not completely vegan either so something in between and a very healthy one) and I really struggle with people being very mean and negative about it, especially someone in my OH's family I feel like I constantly have to justify myself every single time they visit I am dreading it. Meat and dairy makes me feel extremely sluggish, tired and constipated, why would I want to torture myself? My eczema and migraines have completely stopped since changing my food habits. I am always full of energy and I haven't been sick for 2 years, even when everyone around me gets sick and my blood levels are great. Sometimes however I feel like giving up just to fit in, I find it hard to be put on to the spot because of my food choices!

How do you deal with the pressure from other meat-eaters who have an issue with your eating habits?? or am I the only one who comes across this?

Hi
are there any vegans or vegetarians here? I am vegetarian (almost vegan but not completely vegan either so something in between and a very healthy one) and I really struggle with people being very mean and negative about it, especially someone in my OH's family I feel like I constantly have to justify myself every single time they visit I am dreading it. Meat and dairy makes me feel extremely sluggish, tired and constipated, why would I want to torture myself? My eczema and migraines have completely stopped since changing my food habits. I am always full of energy and I haven't been sick for 2 years, even when everyone around me gets sick and my blood levels are great. Sometimes however I feel like giving up just to fit in, I find it hard to be put on to the spot because of my food choices!

How do you deal with the pressure from other meat-eaters who have an issue with your eating habits?? or am I the only one who comes across this?

Well good for you and stick to your guns and stuff em :irked:

I guess the mentality in oz is far less understanding of anything outside of scoffing half a cow cooked only by a man on his iconic BBQ machine which has all round sound system built in as well as a 6 person jacuzzi washed down of course by a carton of beer before ranting on about how much bigger my 4x4 UTE is compared to yours kind of thing :eek::lol:

at least that is what I found with my time in that wonderful country but hey...rise above it...what you are doing is what you beleive in and choose to do and clearly from what you say there are health benifits that you are now enjoying .

so...stuff em and well done you :hug:

11 years a vegetarian and I've heard it all.... I just laugh the criticism off now. It's nobodies business what I put in my mouth!

Not a vegetarian, but I would just tell them to mind their own business. You don't need to justify your choices to anyone :)

You have made a good choice for you and a good choice for the world. Meat habits are v unsustainable (i still eat meat but try to give it up each year for lent!). Someone once told me that when others critisise or try and offend you, they are inviting you to join in their own little pantomime in which they have already cast you as someone to take a part...however, you can choose if you want to be a part of their show or not. If you decide not, take the view, I'm leaving that request and negativity with you, and imagine yourself turning down their **** part! I do loads and it totally works! Hope it helps but remember, whenever people choose to live differently from the majority there will always be those there trying to knock them down. You will triumph in the end my dear! Best wishes x

Sent from my HTC Desire C using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm vegetarian I hate all the stupid comments you get like WHAT do you eat?
If someone's being annoying I just ask them why there so interested in what I eat? I couldn't give a crap what other people eat and I never try and convince people to justify why they eat meat.

Ugh its just so annoying I try to avoid the vegetarian talk all together

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

My hubby is vegetarian and has been for more than 40 yrs.

In the UK it's a non issue these days but funnily enough, we have found it slightly trickier eating out in a few rural towns, here in Ireland. A bit like the UK attitudes 10 - 20 yrs ago. Very few food options other than mushroom risotto, quiche etc.

When you mention the attitudes of your OH's family, are they just confused as to what food you will serve? In fairness, this is understandable if vegetarianism isn't very common amongst family members and meals consist of 3 types of veg plus a portion of meat. Presumably, they'd struggle if they had to cater for a Coeliac diet or any special diet? Some people are afraid of trying something outside their comfort zone.

Whenever you're in the minority in a situation, it's always best to try to win people over by taking baby steps and gentle persuasion rather than outright confrontation which never wins anyone over to a different way of thinking.

Perhaps whenever they visit make something new & tasty to be shared and vary it so that eventually they begin to look forward to trying new ideas. Even just making cakes using vegetables such as beetroot or courgette (zucchini).

Don't get too down about it. At least it's not overt racism which is much harder to address. :)

I'm vegetarian I hate all the stupid comments you get like WHAT do you eat?
If someone's being annoying I just ask them why there so interested in what I eat? I couldn't give a crap what other people eat and I never try and convince people to justify why they eat meat.

Ugh its just so annoying I try to avoid the vegetarian talk all together

I have to confess to being a whole hearted meat eater however I admire and respect those that chose to eat what they..well choose to :hug:

My two sons are vegetarians and in particular my older son had severe ADT ..I mean severe and was like me a meat lover ....that was until he went vegetarian....within no more than a month he was a completely different person...much calmer and I am so proud of his achievement with this :hug:

to this day they both remain non meat eaters however the only one thing they have a craving for is Bacon :eek: bless em :hug:

I once went to a vegetarian wedding and have to confess that the variety of food on offer was just out of this world ...i guess cooking vegetarian meals makes for the need to be far more creative than just stuffing a pig in the oven

I have to confess to being a whole hearted meat eater however I admire and respect those that chose to eat what they..well choose to :hug:

My two sons are vegetarians and in particular my older son had severe ADT ..I mean severe and was like me a meat lover ....that was until he went vegetarian....within no more than a month he was a completely different person...much calmer and I am so proud of his achievement with this :hug:

to this day they both remain non meat eaters however the only one thing they have a craving for is Bacon :eek: bless em :hug:

I once went to a vegetarian wedding and have to confess that the variety of food on offer was just out of this world ...i guess cooking vegetarian meals makes for the need to be far more creative than just stuffing a pig in the oven

Wow thats awesome about your son! I think non vegetarians just think a meal isnt a meal without meat I think they just imagen salad and thats it but there so much nice veggie food. It really annoys me every time we go out to eat there will be 7 different types of burger meal, 8 chicken meals, loads of meaty pastas and basically 5 pages of menu of meat and then they just shove 2 veggie meals at the bottom of the page :thumbdown: maybe if there was more options to eat out for vegetarians more people would try it x

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies. I really needed to get some positive vibes and encouragement after this week as my OH's family have been visiting all week. It is in particular one person (male) who seems to constantly put in weird comments like " uh well Im sure the sausage has suffered haha" or " oh so what did you eat for breakfast? a bowl of some fruit!??" etc .. he is a pharmacist and thinks therefore he is an expert in everything when I have found that his knowledge on nutrition is in fact quite poor (I have a huge interest in nutrition) and so on.. and doesn't help that Im pregnant either .. like anyone says anything when someone is eating hamburgers and cocoa cola and are pregnant or someone who hates vegetables and eats only meat when pregnant? no but when someone eats heaps goodness its a crime. I am not a very confrontational person, I have no interest in arguing with anyone, nor do I care what anyone else eats! I am only doing what makes me feel good and healthy and I would never do anything to hurt my baby. I have had a very very easy pregnancy so far with zero complications and all my blood work comes out great and my baby is growing, and why wouldnt she be? grrr...

I needed some encouragement ladies, so thank you! I really dont want to go back to eating in a way that makes me feel crap and I needed to hear something positive. Thanks!

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies. I really needed to get some positive vibes and encouragement after this week as my OH's family have been visiting all week. It is in particular one person (male) who seems to constantly put in weird comments like " uh well Im sure the sausage has suffered haha" or " oh so what did you eat for breakfast? a bowl of some fruit!??" etc .. he is a pharmacist and thinks therefore he is an expert in everything when I have found that his knowledge on nutrition is in fact quite poor (I have a huge interest in nutrition) and so on.. and doesn't help that Im pregnant either .. like anyone says anything when someone is eating hamburgers and cocoa cola and are pregnant or someone who hates vegetables and eats only meat when pregnant? no but when someone eats heaps goodness its a crime. I am not a very confrontational person, I have no interest in arguing with anyone, nor do I care what anyone else eats! I am only doing what makes me feel good and healthy and I would never do anything to hurt my baby. I have had a very very easy pregnancy so far with zero complications and all my blood work comes out great and my baby is growing, and why wouldnt she be? grrr...

I needed some encouragement ladies, so thank you! I really dont want to go back to eating in a way that makes me feel crap and I needed to hear something positive. Thanks!

Tbh he just sounds like one of those people who is ALWAYS right and knows Everything and everyone in the world should have the same views as him because thats the only correct way to live! I hate people like that haha they just cannot accept that someone isnt doing things they way they think is right.

At the end of the day eat whatever the hell you want next time he asks a stupid question or comment literally blank him and pretend you didnt hear him it will probably really wind him up as he wont be able to tell you how wrong you are at everything haha :rolleyes:

I sound well miserable haha iv had 10 years of the vegetarian stupid comments :D

Hi guys

just tell him to get stuffed ..with sage im heard goes well with roasted pig :eek::lol::lol:

well i guess at least he has left the "bun in the oven"jokes off the menu:lol::lol::hug:

just tell him to get stuffed ..with sage im heard goes well with roasted pig :eek::lol::lol:

well i guess at least he has left the "bun in the oven"jokes off the menu:lol::lol::hug:

hihi you make me laugh. I wish I were that brave. I think Ill just ignore him!

Tbh he just sounds like one of those people who is ALWAYS right and knows Everything and everyone in the world should have the same views as him because thats the only correct way to live! I hate people like that haha they just cannot accept that someone isnt doing things they way they think is right.

At the end of the day eat whatever the hell you want next time he asks a stupid question or comment literally blank him and pretend you didnt hear him it will probably really wind him up as he wont be able to tell you how wrong you are at everything haha :rolleyes:

I sound well miserable haha iv had 10 years of the vegetarian stupid comments :D

yep exactly one of them! and then all his 12 year old son will eat is KFC!

My hubby is vegetarian and has been for more than 40 yrs.

In the UK it's a non issue these days but funnily enough, we have found it slightly trickier eating out in a few rural towns, here in Ireland. A bit like the UK attitudes 10 - 20 yrs ago. Very few food options other than mushroom risotto, quiche etc.

When you mention the attitudes of your OH's family, are they just confused as to what food you will serve? In fairness, this is understandable if vegetarianism isn't very common amongst family members and meals consist of 3 types of veg plus a portion of meat. Presumably, they'd struggle if they had to cater for a Coeliac diet or any special diet? Some people are afraid of trying something outside their comfort zone.

Whenever you're in the minority in a situation, it's always best to try to win people over by taking baby steps and gentle persuasion rather than outright confrontation which never wins anyone over to a different way of thinking.

Perhaps whenever they visit make something new & tasty to be shared and vary it so that eventually they begin to look forward to trying new ideas. Even just making cakes using vegetables such as beetroot or courgette (zucchini).

Don't get too down about it. At least it's not overt racism which is much harder to address. :)

They are not that confused anymore actually as they got used to it and some of the dishes they have cooked for me are great:) and my OHs sister eats Paleo which is dairy, gluten, sugar free and she cooks nice things for me when we are over. However this man's attitude has continued, its like he has a serious issue with my non-meat/dairy habits for an unknown reason (I dont get it) and this weekend I met some new family too and even though they are nurses (male ) they had no idea of what a vegetarian can possibly eat other than salad!? How could I possibly survive on that sort of diet? also they thought I must be gluten free then too, I said well no, why would I unless I have an intolerance? they were like, oh- do you eat rice? since when has rice become meat lol? its funny I have to admit.... hopefully one day they will stop thinking its so strange not to consume meat/dairy (I am hoping!!) :)

I am not too down anymore after posting in here as I got some new found strength he he and yep you are right it is not like its over racism or anything like that, I just needed a little bit of encouragement and positive response after a long week. Thank you:)))))

all his 12 year old son will eat is KFC![/QUOTE said:
mmmm KFC hey...now there's nothing wrong with them lovely chickens :hug:

...that said when i went up to 'Roma out in the middle of QLD i was so pleased to see a KFC..in fact couldn't believe it to be quiet honest...so strait in I went and ordered me my usual 3 piece original meal and sat down with the biggest smile......well that soon changed when i opened the box :eek::irked:

Bugger me the portions were minute :irked: so i thought WTF and went up to the 16 year old ozzie girl on the counter and refraining from the phrase "G'Day missis "I said in me strong Mancunian accent hey ...I ordered a 3 piece original chicken meal....I don't recall ordering a budgerigar diced into 3 pieces :irked::irked::cry:

she just looked at me completely blank while the whole place fell about laughing ...I guess such budgerigar complaints dont appear in there how to pacify a pissed off customer manual :lol::lol:

as for me i just walked away thinking WTF...might as well be a vegetarian :eek::eek::lol::lol::hug:

Last edited:
mmmm KFC hey...now there's nothing wrong with them lovely chickens :hug:

...that said when i went up to 'Roma out in the middle of QLD i was so pleased to see a KFC..in fact couldn't believe it to be quiet honest...so strait in I went and ordered me my usual 3 piece original meal and sat down with the biggest smile......well that soon changed when i opened the box :eek::irked:

Bugger me the portions were minute :irked: so i thought WTF and went up to the 16 year old ozzie girl on the counter and refraining from the phrase "G'Day missis "I said in me strong Mancunian accent hey ...I ordered a 3 piece original chicken meal....I don't recall ordering a budgerigar diced into 3 pieces :irked::irked::cry:

she just looked at me completely blank while the whole place fell about laughing ...I guess such budgerigar complaints dont appear in there how to pacify a pissed off customer manual :lol::lol:

as for me i just walked away thinking WTF...might as well be a vegetarian :eek::eek::lol::lol::hug:

ha ha too funny.. you mustve bn very hungry hihi :green: xx

hey!
totally feel your pain. when I say a vegetarian to anyone in my family they say "why?" with a scrunched up face! I dont ask them about their eating habits. my friend doesn't drink and he gets a similar reaction when he says so. I think the best response is "why do you eat meat?" ... That generally works for me :)

Sent from my SGH-I257M using SalonGeek mobile app

I've been a veggie for years so I've heard most of them now. I just make a joke of it and say, 'I'm sure you have some filthy habits too', that normally shuts them up. It's really none of anyone else's business.

When my husband was very ill in hospital, I would take in homemade soup in a flask so that he'd get some nourishment.

They knew he was vegetarian but always managed to run out of suitable food by the time they got to him. He's already very skinny naturally and couldn't afford to lose any more weight.

They'd offer him something with meat on and tell him to just ignore the meat. But he wouldn't touch it.

I was so glad to get him home where I could look after him properly. :(

Latest posts

Back