Any other Hair geeks have problems with shoulder/arm pain?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penners

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having terrible pain in my shoulders and down my arms at the moment, as a somewhat 'short' hairdresser I have to reach my arms up a lot especially if the client is tall or doesn't have a low chair (i'm mobile) . The doctor said "posture, posture, posture" and suggested I take a low chair for my clients to sit on? anyone else do this?
i've spent the whole day sticking my chest out and dropping my shoulders:o
he's prescribed a muscle relaxant for me to take at night as the pain keeps me awake.
Feeling a bit down about the whole thing really.:cry: any tips other than wearing stilts?:irked:

Am short too, but don't find working above my shoulders a problem. Got RSI in my wrists though, and get tedonitis in my inner elbows from time to time. Maybe build up some strength in your shoulders?

The doctor has suggested pilates or the alexander technique, I'm trying to find a suitable class and i'll give it a go. I think part of the problem is i'm called in to help my husband lift really heavy things sometimes and often its in a mad rush and I've probably not helped the whole shoulder situation by doing this. and I do slouch badly!!! ( shoulders back again!!)

Sorry to hear your suffering. I had to take 2 years off with rsi & back problems :sad: not fun.
I would maybe book in for fortnightly massage treatments if possible,(do you know a therapist you could swap treatments with,i used to do this) this will make a big difference to your achey muscles.

Also as a fellow mobile hairdresser, i bought a good little chair from argos, it was £9.99! perfect for when clients pull out a bar stool to sit on!! Its so light weight,folds flat, nice height a great buy! so i would advise you look into having your own chair for clients. I know it doesnt look much but its surprisingly comfy,heres the link-http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6179612/Trail/searchtext%3ECHAIR.htm

I stopped doing childrens hair cuts,as i find the angles you have to bend at were killing me and i definately do not wash out over the bath! Kitchen sink is much accesable for you and them but so much better on your back/shoulders.
I also try not to work too much in 1 day, i spread my work out over the week but i know this isnt always possible.
Im just trying to avoid getting really bad again.

Hope something ive said may help!

Take care
Sophia

I'm the same now have my chiro visits down to every 3 months, it was weekly up until recently. I've also started pilates, your better of with a 1-2-1 at first then a small class as it is quite confusing at first. It helps strengthen your core, I started it as I'm a runner and was injured but only a few months in and most of my aches have gone away ( touchwood).

You could maybe see your GP as I eventually did as couldn't afford to keep shelling out for physios, chiros etc, he referred me to a Physio and she was brill, it was her that convinced me pilates is the way forward.

I sit down when I cut children's hair whilst they stand, if that's possible, but it isn't always, never wash clients hair over the bath, they either wash it themselves, but with colours etc I bought a comfy wash and do it at their kitchen sink.

Unfortunately I think it's one of the downfalls of our job, the ole " hairdressers back"

I wish you better x

Thanks for your help, i've ordered one of the folding chairs and i'm sorting out pilates. AND i'm still keeping my shoulders back (thats half a day i've managed!!):D

I've found osteopathy better than chiropractic. I've had acupuncture too. It all helps a bit. But as has been said, we will never be totally right because of the job. :(

I dont have shoulder pain but what i do get when washing hair in sinks is pain in the hip!!! I thik its probably just the angle that I stand.
Just looked at the chair and it looks great..think i'll get myself one of those too!

Hi, I'm having terrible pain in my shoulders and down my arms at the moment, as a somewhat 'short' hairdresser I have to reach my arms up a lot especially if the client is tall or doesn't have a low chair (i'm mobile) . The doctor said "posture, posture, posture" and suggested I take a low chair for my clients to sit on? anyone else do this?
he's prescribed a muscle relaxant for me to take at night as the pain keeps me awake.
Feeling a bit down about the whole thing really.:cry: any tips other than wearing stilts?:irked:

Hi, I have the same pain, goes up into my neck and down the back of my ribs aswell as the pain you've described.
It was far worse when I worked in the salon though, since I've been freelance it's still bad but nowhere near as painfull as it was. In the salon I had 2 seperate periods of time off due to the severity of the pain. I even went part-time at one stage, and was looking into other careers due to it, but since I've went mobile it's definatly not as bad.
I'm tall though, so I don't know if it's anything to do with your height, it may just be RSI from lifting your arms so much.
I've been to doctors, physio, had accupunture, bowen technique, chiropracters, massages, pilates, etc etc, and found Pilates the best thing for it. I have recently been so busy though I havn't been to pilates in 3 or 4 months and my shoulder has started giving me lots of trouble again, so I'm back to it this Monday morning hopefully!
I can't lie on my side or shoulder, and find if I have a night out on the booze that I'm in agony for several days after as I have slept on my side without feeling it :rolleyes:
Hope u get sorted xx

in the mean time here's a quicker option. sit straight on a chair with an arm rest isolate all noise and distractions. close your eyes and (you might not realise you're doing it but your shoulders are lifted up) drop your shoulders try a bit at a time and breath in and out through the pain (believe me there is always pain:eek:). as you breath in tell your brain to realx and let go, and as you breath out try to let go of the tension your holding on your shoulders. this includes your teeth by the way. let go of that grip again you might not realise you're doing it but you are. as you clinch your teeth th emsucles in your neck are stretching causing your shoulders to tense up (don't know the science of it but that's how it works).
once you feel tat the tension in your shoulders has eased up a bit turn your head to teh right (still same as when you head was striaght) this time only for a fe breaths. turn back straight one more breath, turn left same as right. turn back ahead few breaths, bend down your headto get your chin to your shoulders (again jsut breath through the pain). few breaths, back up and then up to the celling as far as you can get it and as comfortable as you can bare. and straight back ahead.
and breath and realxx. at this point if you have released the tension correctly you should be feeling a tingling feeling on your shoulders as if you've applied muscle cream. try it garanteed to get your shoulders at least working for the next day but tip is don't do it before the next client as after you might not feel like getting back up ;-)hehe....

I had to have some physio sessions through the doctors as my right shoulder is the same and that really helped, they gave me a giant rubber band and some easy exercises to do so if it plays up at anytime I just go back to my exercises again.

Im also mobile and only rinse at the sink, bought a comfy wash (in fact got a spare one if anyone wants one) and that has helped my back. Doing kids is a problem without the right chair, so the one recommended looks like a good idea.

Go back to the doctor and ask for physio, they dont always offer it on the first visit.

Good luck

oh my days iv really struggled with my left arm/shoulder over the last month or so (my hairdryer arm!) glad this thread popped up never thought to search on here going to try some of these tips! thanks guys x

hey wanted to know if there's any help out there, I'm reading posts regarding bad shoulders. I'm sorry to all who feels like I do,. Doing hair 38 years very tenacious raising grandkids doing everything on my own 4 years however went to the doctor she took x-rays said I have Frozen shoulders and arthritis however the pain is so intense I lay and cry. Keep in mind I shattered my ankle did not shed one tear so I'm a tough mudder when it comes to pain however this is so bad I cannot lift my arms the pain radiates down the arms and I let out screams. a frozen shoulder sounds of wimpy compared to what I'm feeling. Any thoughts are welcome

Latest posts

Back