Anybody else think there should be hairdressing laws?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuZz'<3

Reaction score
Browsing around the town centre today's and yet another tacky hair shop has popped up...

When I was younger all we had was the market stall that sold clip ins and Afro Caribbean products, it's been there for years and as I said its just hair and afro Caribbean products.

Now we have 5 hair shops, the latest one I came across today sells Wella and Loreal professional colours, plus peroxide.

I decided to test their knowledge and asked what peroxide strength they recommend for the Majirel tubes, I could of cried when he said '40vol'

i am getting absolutely sick of these un-qualified idiots ruining this industry!

I think it's about time we had some laws to stop such shops selling stuff to just any body, which then creates these so called 'hairdressers' that will begin to pop up!

Totally agree!

I agree. It's definitely time for some regulation!

Yes buying pro products should definitely be regulated .its so infuriating when you hear someone saying ye I just went to Sallys ,capital and so on ,or you get that cheaper on ebay ,grrrr :-/

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

There is a stall in the market in my town that sells "pro colours" goldwell to be precise and bleach. The peroxide and bleach are silka. Iv not seen many using it xoxo

the most shocking thing ive discovered is that students love these places and some wholesalers wont sell to them!

They think having a tube of discontinued colour is the same thing as hairdressing, never mind not knowing what they are putting on. One of our beauty clients was praising the new popped up shops, how amazing they stock items-im a registered l'oreal/matrix user and how the hell are they allowed to have these items resold if its not in a hairdressing beauty salon environment, i took it up with my rep -tho relayed it back to hq!

One client for a colour correction told us the shade of the tube she got with 30vol-hmm she was trying to go darker- black with 30 vol.....really?!

Hair pulling stuff, next thing they'll have nioxin which is a fabulous product!! xoxo

It's infuriating! They had so much 40vol in stock, I'm thinking my areas latest trend will be bald patches and very over processed stringy hair.

The worst part is I've just been browsing my Facebook, and a girl I started level 2 with (she dropped out after a couple of months) is offering hair colours :s
I told her I need my roots doing to find out some more info because I know she didn't qualify, and she told me she is buying from this shop!
Ahhhh
I feel like banging my head against a wall.

One girl on my Facebook friends used to have a Q+A on her tumblr page.
Someone asked her what dye she uses and she uses a Loreal (black) with 40vol. I cringed when I saw it :lol:

Unfortunately there isn't really much we can do about it except just don't buy from these shops. Just support your rep/supplier and warn potential customers the risks of buying discontinued /old product.
(Might not sound professional but even if you have to lie about these kind if places, ie- their products could be counterfeits ) ;-)

One girl on my Facebook friends used to have a Q+A on her tumblr page.
Someone asked her what dye she uses and she uses a Loreal (black) with 40vol. I cringed when I saw it :lol:

Unfortunately there isn't really much we can do about it except just don't buy from these shops. Just support your rep/supplier and warn potential customers the risks of buying discontinued /old product.
(Might not sound professional but even if you have to lie about these kind if places, ie- their products could be counterfeits ) ;-)

What exactly would a1.0 with 40 vol look like? I'm having trouble to imagine it, would it be lighter because of the lift a 40
Gives or would it be dark too fast for the tones to take properly? Xoxo

What exactly would a1.0 with 40 vol look like? I'm having trouble to imagine it, would it be lighter because of the lift a 40
Gives or would it be dark too fast for the tones to take properly? Xoxo

I think it would fade rapidly :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

I've got a mate who bought bleach and 30vol on amazon to do it herself I screamed when I found that out ridiculous they shouldn't be allowed x

speaking of amazon- or other retailers- i cant believe the amount of mobile hds and bt buy their wax or hair dye tube or crazy colour consumables etc from them. Do you think this is acceptabe? xoxo

Been saying and wishing for years.....

speaking of amazon- or other retailers- i cant believe the amount of mobile hds and bt buy their wax or hair dye tube or crazy colour consumables etc from them. Do you think this is acceptabe? xoxo

No it's not acceptable. For personal use I don't see a problem, but clients are paying for quality. In my price is the guarantee that the products used are what they claim to be and bought from reputable suppliers. I'm all for helping other small business's, that's why most of my stock is bought from a local independent warehouse (which has massive signs on the door saying suppliers to the hair and beauty industry only, and no admittance to general public) and a person who built connections with manufacturers and now supplies by orders and delivered usually the next day who I trust has 100% genuine product.
Xoxo

Definitely not!
Who knows what's actually in those tubes or packets!!?
Just like buying from eBay
It should be banned
Xx

It's just not acceptable it no wonder they refer to us when it goes wrong x

I think you should by law have to be qualified and insured to sell any Hair colouring products.

Great thread!

I totally agree that shops such as these have no place in the industry. They will tell you everything you want to hear, such as "come and buy from us we're cheaper than them" and they don't actually give a toss that they're also killing your business at the same time by offering consumers professional products to use themselves at home! - NOT ON!

However the problem itself also lies in the hands of the manufacturers, simply because they should have stricter rules on who can distribute their products. (Which I must admit, some of them are, but I'll get onto that in a second) Now I do agree that its easy for someone to purchase surplus or liquidated salon stock from a liquidator, but this is perhaps where the manufacturers should have a system where they can step in to either take the products back, or simply have them destroyed.

One manufacturer in particular (someone mentioned Crazy Colour earlier - perfect example!) won't allow us to resell their products because they are taking a tougher stance on who can distribute their brands, which is great! BUT because their products are popping up on eBay and Amazon and all the rest of it, they won't allow a TRADE ONLY business such as ourselves to distribute their products!! Which on the other hand is extremely frustrating for us who want to provide the best products available to our customers but can't! This goes back to these "hairdressing shops" who will sell to any Tom, Dick or Harry ruining it for the good guys!

Don't even entertain them! They hinder your business! Use the people who are passionate about what they do and who want to help you flourish!

And when someone buys a colour and a bottle of peroxide from them and mess it up... guess who they will go to, to get it fixed... :)

Team Swysh

Great thread!
One manufacturer in particular (someone mentioned Crazy Colour earlier - perfect example!) won't allow us to resell their products because they are taking a tougher stance on who can distribute their brands, which is great!

You mentioned Crazy Colours - my friend's daughter went to Pulp (a high street goth/punk clothes shop) which sells the Crazy Colour pre-lightening kit along with the crazy colour semis.

Anyway, being nosy I had a look and the bleaching kit has 30 vol in there with the bleach and some instructions to basically bung it all on and check it every 10 mins. :eek:

You mentioned Crazy Colours - my friend's daughter went to Pulp (a high street goth/punk clothes shop) which sells the Crazy Colour pre-lightening kit along with the crazy colour semis.

Anyway, being nosy I had a look and the bleaching kit has 30 vol in there with the bleach and some instructions to basically bung it all on and check it every 10 mins. :eek:

Yip! and I'd bet my house that the shop bought it from a salon wholesaler who doesn't give a monkeys about who they sell too, and just want to make a quick buck!....

Latest posts

Back