Anyone else almost done with this industry? Thanks Covid

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find people tend to be more open with their stuff towards an outside agent like ourselves rather than members of their immediate families or friends because they prefer not to stress them out.
I agree wholeheartedly. The things I have been told. Whoa! We are therapists in more than one way. It’s the cliche of the barber and the bartender.

Sometimes it can be wearing, but it’s only for an hour and I can do just about anything for an hour. Especially if I’m paid for it. Within reason, of course!😝 o_O

I’ve moved to a new area during the lock-down so I haven’t worked yet. I miss my former clients mostly and text some occasionally to see how they’re coping. Can’t keep up with all, but those who are dear to me.

I’m not sure what kind of clientele I will attract here in West Texas. It’s cotton, cattle and oil industry here. Also a large University.

Last edited:
“I haven’t missed the conversations which always seem to be permanently about covid at the moment.”

I think people outside of a hair or beauty setting might easily overlook just how much our sectors support the general public through just listening.

There’s very little support for people to vent about covid, or anything else either.. and I find people tend to be more open with their stuff towards an outside agent like ourselves rather than members of their immediate families or friends because they prefer not to stress them out.

Personally I think being in this industry is as not simple as just being the pro, there’s this hidden undercooked side to the job too x
Too true & I’ll happily sit there listening to clients vent. Just when you can’t get away from the subject from clients, news, internet etc it all gets very depressing.
I’m longing to ask where someone is going on their holidays 😂

I agree wholeheartedly. The things I have been told. Whoa! We are therapists in more than one way. It’s the cliche of the barber and the bartender.

Sometimes it can be wearing, but it’s only for an hour and I can do just about anything for an hour. Especially if I’m paid for it. Within reason, of course!😝 o_O

I’ve moved to a new area during the lock-down so I haven’t worked yet. I miss my former clients mostly and text some occasionally to see how they’re coping. Can’t keep up with all, but those who are dear to me.

I’m not sure what kind of clientele I will attract here in West Texas. It’s cotton, cattle and oil industry here. Also a large University.
My tutor once told me on my course that we will become a therapist & our clients will tell us almost everything! It’s definitely true!
Good luck with your new area when you’re able to get working again, i’m sure you will do great! 🙂

I’m not

Same, I’m a natural listener anyway so for me it’s second nature, as well as the lavishing of self care towards myself for the extra listening job that I found myself in.

Wishing you all the best in your new home and with your new clientele when they start coming along, sounds like a total adventure !

“My tutor once told me on my course that we will become a therapist & our clients will tell us almost everything! It’s definitely true!”

It is true isn’t it! Nobody told me :D I think it slowly dawned on me around two months in.

“I’m longing to ask where someone is going on their holidays 😂

Ooh same, that’s a fave though I always end up wanting to go .. every set of holiday toes I did, I was in persistent holiday mode 🤣

After the first lockdown in Spring last year, 3 or the 4 high street nail salons in the small German town closest to us, closed down. The survivor is a German Nail tech who operates like most of you. Over the next months our own salon gained quite a few new customers. But we have now been closed since 2nd November and that is likely to be extended until at least March.

Many high street salons have huge rent and rates. The business model is high volume. So many of them must be suffering - unless they have deep pocketed friends.

I believe in the saying that "the cream floats to the top". In any recession, it is the business that are able to explain a unique service that generally will survive.

I do agree that some clients won't return because of financial reasons, have discovered home kits, or are just nervous to be outside of their covid bubble. But those salons that hang on, perseverance is 90% of running a business, will ultimately gain their rewards,

Each business needs a USP - Unique Selling Point. Ideally you should also have a back story - why you started the business, what you bring to it, why they should buy from you.

My advice is target customers who have wealth - professional women, married to wealthy husbands, inherited wealth. Focus on simple reliable and thin nails design, talk about hygiene and product safety due to kinder low allergy risk ingredients.

These are the most loyal clients who are willing to pay more. But your story has to be complete and believable. They are not suckers. But from our experience they will pay up to 30% more to a salon that they believe in.

We have opened and run successful nail salons in 4 countries. There is always money there to be made, regardless of the countries economy, if you are unique.

So use this time to brush up on your marketing skills. Find a way that you are unique to the local competition. Position yourself for the next upswing. And learn to charge more.

Same, I’m a natural listener anyway so for me it’s second nature, as well as the lavishing of self care towards myself for the extra listening job that I found myself in.

Wishing you all the best in your new home and with your new clientele when they start coming along, sounds like a total adventure !

“My tutor once told me on my course that we will become a therapist & our clients will tell us almost everything! It’s definitely true!”

It is true isn’t it! Nobody told me :D I think it slowly dawned on me around two months in.

“I’m longing to ask where someone is going on their holidays 😂

Ooh same, that’s a fave though I always end up wanting to go .. every set of holiday toes I did, I was in persistent holiday mode 🤣
I think it just shows how comfortable clients are in our presence if they tell us everything. It still amazes me though when a brand new client starts telling me her life story (which is normally pretty out there) 🤣

Oh holiday toes.....how I miss you! 😅

So use this time to brush up on your marketing skills. Find a way that you are unique to the local competition. Position yourself for the next upswing.

Whilst I absolutely agree with everything you posted I think, for me anyway, the last sentence hit hardest - I just don't have the inclination, drive or interest in doing anything in preparation. Yes I understand the 'use this time to better yourself' theory, there's loads of free (and paid) on-line classes I like the look of but when push comes to shove I just can't be bothered.

I did all the industry suggested 'things' in first lockdown...stayed engaged, shared exciting things, etc. but this time I it's not happening. It feels a little tone deaf, maybe because I know many of my clients are dealing with far more serious issues currently, and whilst pretty nails might be a distraction often it makes them more disappointed that things are just not settling down.

I feel like a beaten dog.

“new client starts telling me her life story (which is normally pretty out there) 🤣

Haha it’s so like that, and then trying to stay neutral about things throughout, heheh oh lord !

Whilst I absolutely agree with everything you posted I think, for me anyway, the last sentence hit hardest - I just don't have the inclination, drive or interest in doing anything in preparation. Yes I understand the 'use this time to better yourself' theory, there's loads of free (and paid) on-line classes I like the look of but when push comes to shove I just can't be bothered.

I did all the industry suggested 'things' in first lockdown...stayed engaged, shared exciting things, etc. but this time I it's not happening. It feels a little tone deaf, maybe because I know many of my clients are dealing with far more serious issues currently, and whilst pretty nails might be a distraction often it makes them more disappointed that things are just not settling down.

I feel really sad with you Trinity, it really is a horrible time and I hope that something turns around for you soon, it could be a strengthening period where you bounce back much stronger. Sending a big hug.. I’m not using the hug emoji though I hate that thing, reminds me of Donald Trump :D So sending you a heart instead 💗

Bob I love your post ... and this -

“My advice is target customers who have wealth - professional women, married to wealthy husbands, inherited wealth.”

It’s so true, and generally what usually happens is that if you are using (and fully advertising that you’re using) only professional high end brands, then this type of client is already browsing your website and calling you to book in. Couldn’t stress this enough.

OPI
CND
Footsie Bath of Beverly Hills
Mundo

.. and bring in high end hand creams not just those of the dedicated nail brand

Jo Malone
Neal’s Yard Organic
Dior (abricot nail range is lovely + old school)

Some call it brand whoring 🤣 but I call it successfully using the resources provided.

If it’s not like that for your client base, ask yourself what you feel when you get something done for yourself and you love the service, then provide that.

I loved feeling extra expensive and being treated really well, so bit by bit (with the products), I provided it.

Bring those on holiday toes ! One day we will allbe back here on the forum wondering how to master the next holiday toe trend x

Last edited:
Both Iryna and I have suffered depression in the past. When you can't function normally, it's advisable to visit your GP and get checked.

I also think that there are times in our lives when a pause is needed. A time to be kind to yourself, don't be upset that you can't do all the jobs on the list, don't expect to have to feel happy. If you feel like it, try to do one small thing a day. If you don't feel for it, relax with a good book, music, movie and ice cream!

Find small pleasures of life, focus on those. Take a walk in nature - it helps to balance the mind and get out of the black hole. Do something creative and that engages the mind, like cooking or handcrafts.

One other thing that helped me in the past, was to make a list of all the reasons to be grateful for my life.

In the future, we will all look back on this period as a horror time - but it will only be one chapter in a book with rich life experiences. And we will create some wonderful new chapters in the future. xx

I think nail care will be much more about self-care and health than fashion and beauty. I think people will be seeking a deeper, more connected/holistic, more pragmatic and healthier sense of beauty and care. And that will happen at all price points.

I hope! It is long overdue!

Other than the current situation, another factor is that by 2025 it is projected that up to 50% of the population in Europe will suffer chronic allergies (www.eaaci.org). That will motivate many more people to consider the impact of pollution and chemicals in their lives.

So sorry you feel like this Trinity & I honestly know how you feel, there is no motivation there. I feel it’s possibly because no sooner that we get back to work we get shut down again just as we’re beginning to get going again. It’s not really given us the opportunity to get ourselves focused.
Like you, the first lockdown I got in touch with clients regularly to see how they were doing, looking at my working practices to see how I could make things easier etc.
This time I emailed/texted clients when we got locked down again & said i’d only be in touch again once I knew a return date. Of course if they get in touch with me I will reply but just can’t be bothered with going through all that again.
I’ve decided to take this time for me by reading more, get into a diet & exercise regime, getting jobs done around the house etc etc & I think you need to give yourself something to focus on that is just for you.
Is there anything you like doing but never usually have the time when you’re working? Any new hobbies you’d like to take up? Are you getting out & about (safely of course)?
For me, & I think it is the same for a lot of people, the situation has made us rethink our priorities. Maybe our work shouldn’t be our big focus in life.

I just don't have the inclination, drive or interest in doing anything in preparation. Yes I understand the 'use this time to better yourself' theory, there's loads of free (and paid) on-line classes I like the look of but when push comes to shove I just can't be bothered.
Thank you for being honestly out there with your deep feeling about our present circumstances.

I noticed you had dropped off a bit in commenting, which is missed, by the way. I’m fairly new back on Salongeek after a few years lull. Checking the board a few times a day helps to fill in gaps.

I do online volunteering for a few hours 5 days a week. That fills in a bit, too.
I’m starting to sell on eBay, we’ll see how that goes.
I’m re-reading Terry Pratchett novels.
I’m playing puzzle games online.
I never look at professional websites, especially if they are advertising new products. It makes me remember I’m not working.
I check my bank balances twice a day.
My husband and I talk to each other more.

Really, if our lives are turned upside down and we can’t work, we have lost a bit of our identity. After all, after inquiring a person’s name, generally one will be asked ‘what do you do for work?’

Our industry doesn’t totally define us, but I am envious of those who are working amid this crisis. I, too, miss being in my salon, smiling at clients, solving a problem, making them and thusly, myself happy.

I hear ya, sister Trinity.

So sorry you feel like this Trinity & I honestly know how you feel, there is no motivation there. I feel it’s possibly because no sooner that we get back to work we get shut down again just as we’re beginning to get going again. It’s not really given us the opportunity to get ourselves focused.
Like you, the first lockdown I got in touch with clients regularly to see how they were doing, looking at my working practices to see how I could make things easier etc.
This time I emailed/texted clients when we got locked down again & said i’d only be in touch again once I knew a return date. Of course if they get in touch with me I will reply but just can’t be bothered with going through all that again.
I’ve decided to take this time for me by reading more, get into a diet & exercise regime, getting jobs done around the house etc etc & I think you need to give yourself something to focus on that is just for you.
Is there anything you like doing but never usually have the time when you’re working? Any new hobbies you’d like to take up? Are you getting out & about (safely of course)?
For me, & I think it is the same for a lot of people, the situation has made us rethink our priorities. Maybe our work shouldn’t be our big focus in life.

Thanks Lovely, I know I'm not the only one feeling like this and I love that we can share how we feel and others can know they are not alone, or wrong, or bad for feeling any type of way. I'm fairly fed up of all the overachievers on social media turning out fabulous sets, buying endless new products, etc. it's just piling on the pressure, certainly not making me feel inspired or enthused.

We did a load of DIY in first lockdown, literally 12 weeks solid of new stair banisters on 3 floors, new joists and floors, fixed a falling down staircase, wallpapering, painting, etc. it was great but I never want to see a saw, hammer, screwdriving or plank of wood again for a very long time. 🤣

I've been going out on my bike every 3 days since NY's day in an attempt to get some feel good endorphins going, diet wise I'm pretty good anyway as we fast and are Keto (3.5 years in) so I do stay on top of that as much as possible. Sleep is shot to bits. I'm also menopausal, which doesn't help with anxiety, sleep, weight gain, depression, etc. and I've been taking CBD oil for just over a year to help balance that out. It's working well and I think had Covid not happened I'd be OK.

I'm absolutely with you on the not contacting clients until we actually have something to tell them, if I see something on FB that I know affects them I might drop them a quick text but I'm certainly not engaging with them like I did in first lockdown. Funny, not many have been in touch with me either, I think that says a wealth of things too 🤔

Yep, I've done absolutely nothing nail related in any of the lockdowns. I'm sick of seeing nails all over socials because it makes me feel like a failure. I'm not messaging my clients because I realised it was making some of them feel obliged to book in. That means I'm lonely, no-one but Husband to talk to. I genuinely can't see many clients coming back, or even when. I too have loved having the house client free, but I'm equally aware that working from home and having no overheads is the only reason I'm able to stay open. That makes me feel bad. I'm really struggling this time round. I've much appreciated Rishi's contributions but not contributing much to the household makes me feel worthless.

There was a post on here the other day of someone who had started their business last year and said they were fully booked 3 weeks in advance....no offence but how TF??? Even when we first came out of lockdown I was only busy for the first weeks then it died off again, those who came spent much less, so how did a newbie manage to out perform me? I'm not bitching about them specifically but more about the situation....how rubbish must I be if I can’t even make it work with a previously solid client base.

I'm 51, not sure what else I would want to do. It's all a bit **** isn't it.

<3 Trinity, these are super tough times. I am sorry it has been so hard for you. You know your stuff, so I do not know why you wouldn't be able to get the clientele back. If I lived by you, I'd go to you in a heartbeat. LOL And I would be a pain in your ass IRL ;-)

It is possible many people left because, like me, they had underlying conditions or were taking care of those with. Some are just scared. I know many friends who gave up their nails but are DYING to get them back but are too scared to go anywhere in between openings. When I am fully vaccinated in March, I plan to come EVEN MORE than I used to to make up for all the old times. You may see A LOT MORE clients than you think in time. I know it doesn't help in the moment, but in the future, they will 100% come back. Vaccines are rolling out.

Thanks Lovely, I know I'm not the only one feeling like this and I love that we can share how we feel and others can know they are not alone, or wrong, or bad for feeling any type of way. I'm fairly fed up of all the overachievers on social media turning out fabulous sets, buying endless new products, etc. it's just piling on the pressure, certainly not making me feel inspired or enthused.

We did a load of DIY in first lockdown, literally 12 weeks solid of new stair banisters on 3 floors, new joists and floors, fixed a falling down staircase, wallpapering, painting, etc. it was great but I never want to see a saw, hammer, screwdriving or plank of wood again for a very long time. 🤣

I've been going out on my bike every 3 days since NY's day in an attempt to get some feel good endorphins going, diet wise I'm pretty good anyway as we fast and are Keto (3.5 years in) so I do stay on top of that as much as possible. Sleep is shot to bits. I'm also menopausal, which doesn't help with anxiety, sleep, weight gain, depression, etc. and I've been taking CBD oil for just over a year to help balance that out. It's working well and I think had Covid not happened I'd be OK.

I'm absolutely with you on the not contacting clients until we actually have something to tell them, if I see something on FB that I know affects them I might drop them a quick text but I'm certainly not engaging with them like I did in first lockdown. Funny, not many have been in touch with me either, I think that says a wealth of things too 🤔
I’m glad that you are doing some nice things & looking after yourself. Sleep wise, it might be worth listening to some meditation podcasts or something if you don’t do this already. I use Spotify & they have loads of mediation tracks on there & find this does help if i’m having trouble dropping off. A guided meditation is usually good...just don’t use one with an annoying voice! 😂
Also, consider unfollowing of snoozing the nail techs etc on social media if you can, at least for the mean time if this is getting to you. I understand this feeling too, as soon as I see a nail picture I scroll by without taking any notice.
I haven’t heard from any clients as yet either which is odd. I think they now know the situation from the past 2 lockdowns & know that we can’t work until we’re told to so won’t bother us until we know more which is refreshing. No news is good news as they say!

I'm fairly fed up of all the overachievers on social media turning out fabulous sets, buying endless new products, etc. it's just piling on the pressure, certainly not making me feel inspired or enthused.

Is anyone watching them? My impression is FB is extremely quiet.

I check in to see if we have messages or posts I need to answer, but overall, like you and I think most others, we are not interested and ethically, I have a problem to want to promote right now. Instead this week, we make some fun and do a virtual Bingo via Zoom and give away some prizes.

I just want to say Trinity, there are few people that I follow or whose posts I want to read. You are one of them. I have a lot of respect for you, your knowledge and your balanced views. I am really sure that I am not unique in this respect.

I just want to say Trinity, there are few people that I follow or whose posts I want to read. You are one of them. I have a lot of respect for you, your knowledge and your balanced views. I am really sure that I am not unique in this respect.

awwww! Bob that got me right in the feels, you'll never know how much that means to me.

I have huge respect for you, your knowledge and your willingness to share information here. Your presence and inputs on here are massively important to me and everyone else. To think that I hold some measure of respect in your eyes is a huge boost, thank you.

awwww! Bob that got me right in the feels, you'll never know how much that means to me.

I have huge respect for you, your knowledge and your willingness to share information here. Your presence and inputs on here are massively important to me and everyone else. To think that I hold some measure of respect in your eyes is a huge boost, thank you.
I haven't been on here long. But read the posts everyday and I can honestly say that if you haven't commented on a thread then I don't take heed as much.

I got into this obsession due to ill health and having to rethink my life let alone my career ( I had a stroke and have other health issues). This has caused deep depression, anxiety and at times the feeling of suicide. Sorry if this is not the right thing to say, but I'm just being honest.

I have consistently been told that I should take one day at a time and when things are really bad - a minute at a time. And I have found that this does help during the day. Much harder at night! Yesterday I went through some old paperwork and threw out what I didn't need. I felt such a sense of purpose and all that from half an hour! But it was half an hour I wasn't thinking.

Please don't give up. It is worthwhile and it makes you happy and purposeful. This is why you feel this way, because you can't do what makes you happy. I am more than happy to chat to anyone if it helps to break the strain xx

I've been on here for a long time but I don't often comment but love reading what everyone has to say and have picked up some great tips over the years but this thread really touched me on many levels.
I've been feeling confused and down like many others during this last lockdown.
The first one I was in touch with clients and used the time to up my skills and rethink what I wanted to do. The second passed quickly and with Christmas to prepare for I never had time to think about it but this time I've been really struggling.
I can't say I'm pleased that others feel the same but it's reassuring to know I'm not alone. I'm normally such a positive person as I'm sure all of you are and it's lovely to read the support of everyone on here. There's no judgement, no negativity, just guidance and kindness and I'm glad to be part of it and just want to say thank you x

I think until we’re completely out the other end, things won’t go back to how they use to be. At the moment, when we dip in and out of lockdown’s and tiers, the world isn’t consistent. My hope and belief is once people can go proper out-out, that’s when we’ll see a surge of clients coming back. They’ll have a better income and a reasonable to have treatments again. Keep strong, believe in the fact things will get better in a few months time. Keep in contact with your clients. Don’t let them forget that it’s not just the treatment that they come for, but for your fun loving self you are. It’s the whole experience that makes a good beautician/hairdresser/nail technician. ❤️

Latest posts

Back