Anyone got a rented room above a hairdressers?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lavander Rose

Reaction score
HI everyone

I was just wondering if any of you out there have a rented room above an hairdressers?

If any of you do how did you get your clients in and how long did it take only I have a chance of renting a room above a hairdresses the problem is I dont want to be pondering around all day waiting for clients.

Any of you who have had the same situation what did you do and have you got any ideas to pass onto me so im not just sitting around.and pottering abou.

adice always appreciated>

that would be me!
I rent the top floor of a hairdressers and have done so since Nov 07.

try and develop a good relationship with the hairdressers, ask if you can display things on their reception etc.

i offer them free treatments sometimes as that gets them talking about me and they tell all of their clients.

Hi there. I rent above a hairdressers but only since Dec07, most of my clientele is through word of mouth and is building up slowley, I agree with Hippychick about having a good relationship with the hairdressers I also offer them discounts etc and if they take 10 bookings for me I offer them a treatment of their choice. Do be prepared to do a lot of hanging aruond until your clientele builds up though, I have recently taken on another therapist to do one day a week and hlep with the rent while things are slow. hth x

That's me, that's me!!

It is slow at first but like the others say, make good friends with the hairdressers. Doing them treatments gets them talking to their clients. I used to ask the juniors to put samples of my hand creams on the clients trays with their teas/coffees ~ the clients normally say "What's this", they say "It's a complimentary hand cream from the beauty salon we now have" they say "I didn't realise you have a beauty salon now" they say "Oh yes, here's their prices list" ...... etc etc!

Works a treat! xx

I have been renting above a hairdressers since oct 07 its slow very slow but im making my rent each week and slowly its getting there these things take time (thats what i keep telling myself)
I got an aeasthetic company in to help me tide over with the rent and bills and stuff
Deb x

Ive been renting a room above a sunbed shop since oct 2007 lucky for me i work right in the middle of the town centre where there are about 3 or four hair salons so ive been leaving price lists and flyers with them and also dropping leaflets around shops in the town even handing them to people on the street i felt stupid at first but it really works hope this helps x good luck everyone xx

I rent space next to hairdressers, started in april 2007 and can say that it is now earning me a normal wage, but i'm not resting on my laurels just yet, its a constant mix of various advertising, special offers, discount weekends and product giveaways, i try to make sure there is somethong going on each week, nothing spells extra bookings like 25% discount, sounds like alot but it works, good luck xx

I lease a room above a hairdresses and have done since dec 07. It has been a huge learning curve. I thought I would generate loadsa business from the hairdressers but I would say only 20% of my clients come from there.

I thought it would equal instant business but how wrong was I. Even though I get on well with the hairdressers (the owner is male and the other girl who works there is still training) they do not push my business. I go to them for my hair cutting and get asked continuously by my clients who does my hair as they like the cut and colour and I always go out of my way to talk about them and refer people to try and set an example, but they do not appear to return the favour.

I have taken things into my own hands recently and displayed my leaflets in the toilets and made more of an effort with making displays down the stairs which clients have to walk past to get to the toilets. The problem is that I do not rent from the hairdresser. We are two seperate businesses and so have no obligations to recommend each other.

I also thought that my £700 advert in the local paper would have helped but in fact my best source of advertising so far as been leaflet dropping!!! In the past this has always proved dissapointing but not where I live!! I do leaflet drop at specific times during the day though to maximise opportunities. Also I have just done a wedding fayre and gained 3 big summer bookings which was fab. Cost £146 which inc an ad in the paper and the stand and will probably make £800 from it. :lol:

On a whole though dec was instantly busy however jan was dead...lots of time spent doing not very much at all other than spray tanning myself!!! Feb was busy but I find that the school holidays are also extremely quiet. I have also been soooo suprised that so many of my clients just walk in or call last minute, not many book in advance. Some weeks I can have only one person in my diary and by the end of the week I have seen over 20 !!!

At the moment though I am covering my bills but not yet drawing a wage - hopefully will be by the summer!!! I shall re-phrase that actually....need to be drawing a wage by the summer!!!!!

thanks katty for your answer,

I think its very frustrating but also very exciting!

hopefully we can share our experiences and what has worked and what has not worked.

I have been in my room since Nov 1st.
I have seen 44 clients - some of them more than once. these have been built up from scratch. I got 10 bookings on my Open Evening.

Now my treatment times are 30, 60, 80, 90 and 120 minutes.

what about everyone else?

I am planning on another open evening soon to introduce a new facial range, choc treatments for easter and manicures.

I have been renting a room in a hairdressers since May 06 and I have to say, it is going really well at the mo. These things really do take time so please, be patient and eventually you will have cancellation lists and considering expanding!!

Everytime I finish my client and they are paying I ask them if they would lik to make their next appointment so they can have their preferred time and day. This seems really simple but it works! Some people do prefer to just call and take their chances but even if just 2 or 3 clients a day re-book then thats 2 or 3 more clients booked in than before!!

Good luck girlies xx

I have been in my room since Nov 1st.
I have seen 44 clients - some of them more than once. these have been built up from scratch. I got 10 bookings on my Open Evening.

Now my treatment times are 30, 60, 80, 90 and 120 minutes.

what about everyone else?

I am planning on another open evening soon to introduce a new facial range, choc treatments for easter and manicures.

Choc treatments for easter is an excellent idea ~ wish I thought of that one xx

I try not to offer discounts as sometimes I feel it can do more harm than good and I would like to see if i can build a clientele because they like my service not because I am cheap!

I did a 10% discount for the first two weeks and that is it. I am finding mothers day more benefically than Valentines with people already making bookings and buying vouchers.

I do find it very rewarding when clients recommend me to people or they come for a return visit - it makes you feel like you are doing your job well. I keep looking at peoples names in the diary who visited me in december and thinking they are due again any time soon and then out of the blue they call for an appointment and it is very satisfying!!

the age of my clients varies too. The youngest has been 11 yrs old and the eldest was today at 100 yrs old!!! How fab is that? Have a 75 yr old in next week for a facial...they are fab round here!!!

The hardest thing so far has been convincing my husband that it is normal to have to build a business like this up, for word of mouth to get round and to build up trust and a relationship with people. He is only just being more positive and this can be difficult when I have not had any clients in one day.. like they say, Rome wasn't built in a day. He was very proud though at the wedding fayre and really helped to sell my services to people. I think because I was soo busy at xmas he expected it to last however I already realised that even santa claus has his nails done for christmas and thinks about his debts in Jan!!!!

I talk about this site sooo much to people because it really does help you feel that you're not the only one..and that what you are experiencing is somehow normal..maybe I will let my hubby read some of these!! I keep telling him that we may struggle now but when I'm making my millions....!!!!

I rent a room in a hairdressers. I've been there 4 weeks, so I'm still very quiet, although this week has been much busier than the previous ones.

The thing is, if you are renting a room, and the passing public cant tell that there's a nail salon there from the outside of the shop, you've got to be prepared to get out there and bring clients in. I have been "making myself useful" in the hairdressers on quiet times, by making drinks for clients or sweeping up its amazing how many conversations you can strike up with potential clients. This also helps to create a good relationship with the hair salon staff and this is very important as they can help you too. I have a price list and details of any special offers on the table in the hair salon waiting area, and the hairdressers now give one of my leaflets to every client when they pay for their hair.

I've also just invested in an A board for outside the shop as I've been told that they are very effective in getting new clients. It only been there 2 days so I'll let you know how it goes!

Hope this helps, the best of luck to you :hug:

Latest posts

Back