Anyone know where I can get a good, cheap website from?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I’m just doing my website at the moment; my brother is a web designer for the big companies. I wanted his to design it but he has been contracted out for a few months in London :( so he has recommended a website for me which is free and you design it yourself it is so easy and then you have to pay something like £29 for the year to be published it is amazing . My friend also used this site and her web site looks so professional. This is the website Weebly - Create a free website and a free blog Hope you like :)

Tracey xx

I've always liked Weebly the best out of the "free" website companies; I think it's even cheaper than that if you buy a domain from say 123-reg.co.uk (e.g. a .co.uk which would cost you £7.18 for 2 years) - as it is then possible to tweak DNS (domain name service) settings on the domain so that it works with the Weebly site (which would in effect cost less than £4 per year then). Yes, you could get a better site for more money, but for starting out on a very tight budget, the Weebly sites are pretty hard to beat at the moment...

I'd suggest Wordpress. You can set it up yourself in no time and it's free. All you pay for is the domain name and hosting which is cheap. Website themes are free or you can pay a very small price for some slightly better themes, but many of the free ones are great. It's also fun to do it yourself and there's plenty of free 'how to' training program's out there.

I've worked with Ruth for nearly two years now- and I can't speak highly enough of her. It's one of the best business decisions I've taken. She's a bit of a kindred spirit to me, in terms of we both have the skill-sets to be swallowed up by the corporate grind in design and technology- but prefers to work with people we like and answer to ourselves!

As a designer with a bit of a reputation in this field, I get offers constantly to be partnered up with web design companies, some of whom are (surprisingly) large multi-national concerns.

It's a big ego-stroke, but I turn then down because I know I can rely on Ruth to be honest (too bloody honest sometimes ;)), professional, cutting edge when it comes to tech-savvie and (VERY importantly) she genuinely gives a monkeys about her clients.

I'm no businss Ghandi, but If my clients aren't happy I don't have a business! So, I work with Ruth to create websites for my clients, safe in the knowedge they're going to get a good, value-for-money product.

I'm very biased here (for obvious reasons) but if you're in this industry and not at least getting a quote from Ruths Salon Alchemy then you're nuts.

Last edited:
I've designed websites for the last 10 years. I don't think that the words good and cheap go together when it comes to websites, or haircuts, or anything at all for that matter.

I know where you can get a good website, and I know where you can get a cheap website, but I don't know where you can get a good cheap website.

You tend to get what you pay for with Web design. Pay a little more and you'll reap the benefits with client referrals! :)

I agree with the above, I have spent thousands, not hundreds on developing my website, http://www.opiumboutique.com and I know that the right image whether it's online or offline is 50% success. In fact, If I was quoted too 'low' for any website work, I would question why. Is that the quick job? Average skills? I was privileged to work with a fantastic web developer who did my website, however he is not UK based and booked a year upfront. I am actually looking for a UK based developer who would be able to deliver not just the best job but an on-going support throughout, and that I know does not come for next to nothing. If anyone has any suggestions, I am open.

I agree with the above, I have spent thousands, not hundreds on developing my website, http://www.opiumboutique.com and I know that the right image whether it's online or offline is 50% success. In fact, If I was quoted too 'low' for any website work, I would question why. Is that the quick job? Average skills? I was privileged to work with a fantastic web developer who did my website, however he is not UK based and booked a year upfront. I am actually looking for a UK based developer who would be able to deliver not just the best job but an on-going support throughout, and that I know does not come for next to nothing. If anyone has any suggestions, I am open.

That has been my Achilles heel so far to be honest (as in pricing too low); to the extent of working silly hours most days, and having had to do contract work a few days a week to bring in extra money to fill the gap. But a lot of that was because of not wanting to overcharge people.

That has been my Achilles heel so far to be honest (as in pricing too low); to the extent of working silly hours most days, and having had to do contract work a few days a week to bring in extra money to fill the gap. But a lot of that was because of not wanting to overcharge people.

Its because you work all hours God sends to get the website as perfect as you can for the client, you loose track of time, and then when its finally complete and gone live, you work out the hours you spent, divided by the cost you charge to find out earned about £5.50 per hour! lol

Its because you work all hours God sends to get the website as perfect as you can for the client, you loose track of time, and then when its finally complete and gone live, you work out the hours you spent, divided by the cost you charge to find out earned about £5.50 per hour! lol

Yes!!! Exactly that!!! :green:

Just viewed that website. The spelling mistakes don't look very professional though do they?

The lovenails one I mean!!

I used '1and1' for mine - to be fair, they are basic, they're not "all singing, all dancing" but it works for me! It depends on what you want your website to do etc - but for a simple, to the point site, I recommend these.

I do however also recommend you ask someone to help you with the "back end" of the programming, so that it helps get you higher up on a Google search... there's ways and means of doing it if you work with someone who knows what they are doing.

This is mine to give you an idea - like I say, definitely not top notch, but sweet and simple and it works for me :)

www.thebeautyloungemidlands.com

The lovenails one I mean!!

Perhaps it would be a little more polite to discreetly point out what spelling mistakes you have noticed rather than saying it so pointedly.

I actually didn't see any, but I am very tired after yet another busy day.

Perhaps it would be a little more polite to discreetly point out what spelling mistakes you have noticed rather than saying it so pointedly.

I actually didn't see any, but I am very tired after yet another busy day.

I hope there are no spelling mistakes after 6mths:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back