Anyone make and sell cakes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faefae

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been getting some requests to make cakes for birthdays etc. after seeing cakes I've made for family and friends. I don't quite know how to price it! For a small 3 tier for example - 8",6",4" sponge fondant - how much do you charge?!

Thanks for your help x

I've bough cakes from a ladie that does from her own house in her spare time and its generally around £30 for a large cake 1 tier to feed 10 people with lovely icing and decoration and £45 for 2tier cakes with full on decoration.
Check out her Facebook page " cherry on top " ( the one with turquoise background)
I also paid £49 for the giant cupcake cake :)

* £40 not £49

I have a cupcake business & my large cupcakes I charge between £25/£30. You need to consider your ingredients & your time. Have a look around on fb or something see what other people charge for the same thing & take it from there.

For the sizes of cakes you were saying depending on the decorations I think you could charge anything between £50 & £65. Depending on how good you are. The better you get the more you can charge. Do you have any pics of your work ?

For just a standard size, well decorated 40th birthday cake- I was quoted £50 from several local people. :) xx

Hi all, I've been getting some requests to make cakes for birthdays etc. after seeing cakes I've made for family and friends. I don't quite know how to price it! For a small 3 tier for example - 8",6",4" sponge fondant - how much do you charge?!

Thanks for your help x

Do you have any pics of your work ??

Thank you for your replies; I have some photos so I will upload them and see what you think! X

My sister in laws mum makes cakes. She made a 70th birthday cake ( so 2 pieces) and sold it for £90.

My sister in laws mum makes cakes. She made a 70th birthday cake ( so 2 pieces) and sold it for £90.

That's good. The more pro you are the more you can charge. It's not just about how they look it's about taste too. I think it's best to start your prices off low like introductory prices then raise them the more clients you get

I started off with my cupcakes a box of 12 £10 & a box of 24 £20. Now I charge a box of 12 £16 & a box of 24 £30. It's best to check out the competition on price & cake designs & price yours accordingly .

I ran my own wedding cake business from home for about 3 years. I used to do all types of cakes from novelty cakes to wedding cakes but I stopped doing the birthday cakes as people dont seem to want to pay for a bespoke birthday cake but would think nothing of spending a few hundred quid on a 3 tier wedding cake. I used to make all my own sugar flowers too.

For something like you are talking about, I would maybe charge about £50-£60

You need to price out your ingredients though first and that includes the cake board, the box, the fondant etc etc. sugar paste is really expensive. I used to buy my cake boards in bulk from bako as they worked out cheaper than my local cake decorating shop. Bakery Product & Food Ingredients Suppliers & Distributors - Regional Bako Companies
they also sell sugar paste but I found that it kept cracking no matter how hard you kneeded it. I used the renshaws covering paste.

If you want any more advice I would be more than happy to help.

karen

Attachments

• cat.jpg
    cat.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 81
  • boobs.jpg
    boobs.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 84
  • dalek.jpg
    dalek.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 91
  • jen 18.jpg
    jen 18.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
a few of the wedding cakes and sugar flowers I have done

Attachments

• wed2.jpg
    wed2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 85
  • wed1.jpg
    wed1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 82
  • wed3.jpg
    wed3.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 85
  • wed4.jpg
    wed4.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 75
  • wed5.jpg
    wed5.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 76
  • wed6.jpg
    wed6.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 82
thank you

If I was you I would forget about birthday cakes, as for reasons above and concentrate on wedding cakes. Even if you dont know how to make sugar flowers, you can buy them ready made until you went on a course to learn how to do them. You really can charge a premium for them. The best advice is to go to wedding fayres and see what your competition is. These are usually held in wedding venues like hotels or manors etc. best of luck with it.

This was for my goddaughter; her mum said go to town with it - frills, stars and butterflies!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 101
This was the biggest cake I made so far! For my niece; I needed to have a bigger bottom tier but couldn't get the tin in time so had to make do :-/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 93
they are really good.

Have you heard of sugar florist paste? This is great to work with to make frills as it is not as heavy as sugar paste and you can roll it out thinner than sugar paste, then it dries to a crisp. great for adding frills orthings that you want to stand up.

I would also say to always keep your ratio to at least 2" ie 6,8,10 inch cakes or sometimes i would do 10, 7 and 5. a 1" ratio makes the cakes look just a little too big for the tiers above.

Another tip is dont undersell yourself. but most of all, enjoy it!

they are really good.

Have you heard of sugar florist paste? This is great to work with to make frills as it is not as heavy as sugar paste and you can roll it out thinner than sugar paste, then it dries to a crisp. great for adding frills orthings that you want to stand up.

I would also say to always keep your ratio to at least 2" ie 6,8,10 inch cakes or sometimes i would do 10, 7 and 5. a 1" ratio makes the cakes look just a little too big for the tiers above.

Another tip is dont undersell yourself. but most of all, enjoy it!

Oh thank you for your advice; I will google sugar florist paste - is this what you made your sugar flowers from? They're beautiful!

I have a cupcake business & my large cupcakes I charge between £25/£30. You need to consider your ingredients & your time. Have a look around on fb or something see what other people charge for the same thing & take it from there.

Thank you for your advice; do you deliver your cakes yourself?

Latest posts

Back